Mark Sanchez contract extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Yup. It really happened. This feels wayyy too similar to the contract extension McNabb received from the Redskins. It's a "we're sorry" contract.

Jets extend Mark Sanchez's contract

by Rich Cimini

The New York Jets ended months of Peyton Manning speculation Friday night with an emphatic statement, announcing a three-year contract extension for incumbent Mark Sanchez.

[hil]The Jets made Sanchez one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL after a season in which they openly admitted they weren't pleased with his rate of development. The timing also is curious, coming only hours after they were eliminated from the Manning sweepstakes.[/hil]

The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees for 2012 and 2013 and $40.5 million in "new" money, bringing his total over five years to $58.25 million, according to sources. He can make an additional $10 million in escalators.

[hil]The $58.25 million gives Sanchez the seventh-highest financial package among NFL quarterbacks,[/hil]sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

The amount of money in the contract virtually assures that Sanchez will be the starter for at least two more seasons. Sanchez, speaking to reporters for the first time since the season ended, said he wasn't bothered by the Manning speculation.

"Not at all," he said late Friday night on a conference call. "The best part about it is, they chose to stick with me. I'm going to be their starting quarterback for the next few years here and that's exciting. I'm the leader of this team and I'm excited to get back."

Tannenbaum said they decided after the season to extend Sanchez's contract, which had two years remaining but no guaranteed money. At the same time, Tannenbaum never shut the door on Manning, fueling the speculation the Jets were mulling a quarterback change.

Perhaps it was posturing to create leverage in the negotiations, but the Manning flirtation also threatened to weaken Sanchez's stature in the locker room. There was concern within the organization about how Sanchez would handle it, sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

Early Friday afternoon, reports began to circulate that Manning had begun to take recruiting trips and the Jets, not surprisingly, weren't on his itinerary.

Around 7 p.m., the Sanchez deal was finalized, according to Tannenbaum, who claimed they were in negotiations for several weeks.

"We looked into that possibility as someone to add to our team," Tannenbaum said of Manning, declining to characterize the level of interest. "We had discussions internally. We monitored the situation. As events continued to unfold, we kept pushing the extension with Mark."

Pressed about their interest in Manning, Tannenbaum said, "When a first ballot, Hall-of-Fame quarterback becomes available, you look into it."

The extension is surprising because Sanchez didn't improve as the organization had hoped, as the Jets finished a disappointing 8-8. Sanchez threw a career-high 26 touchdown passes, but he also suffered a career-high 26 turnovers, played poorly down the stretch and feuded with wide receiver Santonio Holmes. He was criticized by teammates for being "coddled."

A few days after the season, Tannenbaum acknowledged that Sanchez "didn't play well." So why the long-term commitment?

"We've won a lot of football games with Mark as the staring quarterback of the New York Jets and that's what really concerned us," said Tannenbaum, noting Sanchez's four playoff victories. "It's not a projection, it's not a hope, it's not an incremental leap of faith. Here's a three-year body of work.

"That said, we don't have blinders on. It has to get better and it will get better. We think he'll become more consistent. Taking a long view of things, we're excited and encouraged by the trajectory of Mark's career."

Sanchez said his performance last season will fuel him and he also downplayed the well-documented rift with Holmes, claiming he's been "in contact with him for the whole offseason" and that he has visited Holmes at his home in Atlanta.

"If anything, this past year, I learned more than my first two years combined, how to handle adversity," Sanchez said.

Publicly, the Jets always said they expected Sanchez to be their starter in 2012, but they kept the Manning speculation alive, perhaps purposely.

They were one of 12 teams that contacted Manning's representatives, ESPN reported. Manning was released Wednesday by the Indianapolis Colts, and by Friday afternoon it was apparent he had no intention of signing with the Jets.

It might have been one of the shortest flirtations in free-agent history.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... on-manning

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
58 Grips, eh? Uhhmm...... :LOLLLL:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Makes no sense. Yesterday they were prepared to cut Sanchez and sign Peyton. Instead, when they figure out they wont get Peyton, they decide to extend Sanchez.

Why extend a guy you arnt thrilled about, especially at a level that makes him a top 10 NFL QB in terms of salary.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That organization is a total joke. I feel sorry for Mangold, Revis, and especially Tomlinson for having to put up with this kind of lackadaisical effort toward winning.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So now I'm betting that his girlfriend will definitely have the the most expensive (by a huge margin) dress at the HS prom this year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:
So now I'm betting that his girlfriend will definitely have the the most expensive (by a huge margin) dress at the HS prom this year.

Hah :rofl:

superfan24

Starter
Selassie I said:

:rofl: :rofl: that was good