Mark Barron wants to be known as simply the best

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mark Barron wants to be known as simply the best

By Mark Inabinett

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/03/mark_barron_wants_to_be_known.html

Mark Barron made a lot of tackles for the St. Louis Rams during the 2015 season -- the league says he made 116; the Rams coaches had him down for 135 – and he started for only three-fourths of the year at "whatever."

Barron started all 37 games he played for Tampa Bay after the Buccaneers took him out of Alabama with the seventh choice in the 2012 NFL Draft. But after being traded to the Rams, Barron started twice in his first 13 games with St. Louis.

That changed when St. Louis weakside linebacker Alec Ogletree suffered a broken leg in the fourth game of the 2015 season. To fill the gap, the Rams plugged in Barron, a strong safety.

"I just wanted to be on the field," Barron said in a video interview for the Rams' web site. "I was playing, but I wasn't playing as much as I was used to playing. I just wanted to be on the field. Just put me on the field wherever you want to put me, I'm still going to play the same game I play."

On Monday, Barron's big season paid off when he signed a five-year, $45 million contract to stay with the Rams as they move to Los Angeles. St. Louis plans to keep Barron in his current spot and move Ogletree to middle linebacker in place of James Laurinaitis, who has been released.

When thrust into the role, Barron didn't want to be called a linebacker, so the Rams began listing his position in the game book as weak safety.

"That's just something me being stubborn," Barron said. "Like in my mind, when I came into this league, my goal was to be the best safety in this league. It's kind of hard for me to go away from that. I kind of changed it. Now I just want to be one of the best defensive players in the league. But that's kind of part of the reason I don't like being called that because in my mind what I was working towards was being known as one of the best safeties in this league. ...

"To be honest with you, I couldn't tell you what to call it. I know a lot of people like calling it a hybrid. I don't mind that, the hybrid name. The weakside safety thing, I'm cool with that, too, even though I thought it was kind of funny that they just made up a whole new position to call me. I'm cool with it -- hybrid, weak safety, whatever."

Of the 39 players who recorded at least 100 tackles in the NFL's 2015 regular season, five had football roots in the state of Alabama, including four from the Alabama Crimson Tide and one from the Auburn Tigers.
What Barron would like to be called is the best.

"I want to be known as one of the best at what I do," Barron said. "Regardless of whatever I'm doing, I want to be known as one of the best at it. So I guess I can make it that simple: I want to be known as one of the best."

The former St. Paul's prep star said the safety-to-linebacker shift wasn't difficult.

"I've been playing this game for a long time," Barron said, "and the way I learned the game, I didn't learn it just from a position standpoint. I learned it from a concept standpoint. So when you know concepts, you can play in a lot of different positions."

Of Barron's new contract, $20 million is guaranteed, and it included a $5 million signing bonus.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It cracks me up when 3rd party rating services don't know how to handle someone playing an unconventional role, so they downgrade them. (I'm looking at you, PFF).

Barron was great last year. So was Ogletree before his injury. I doubt any team had as effective a linebacker position as the Rams did last year, and people are amazed at how much the Rams are going to be paying Barron, and that Ogletree is going to be the MLB. They are going to be surprised at the results.

***I do have to say, after several years of Ogletree being on the Rams, I still want to call him Oglethorpe, after the minor character in Slap Shot. I always have to proofread any post referencing him, just in case.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Barron will be even better with a year under his belt at the position. And having Tree next to him instead of JL will make our D better.It helps that we have M.Alexander to fill that position if Barron goes down.I think alot teams will start getting players like Barron and Buchanan from AZ to play that position. It will be kinda like the DE/LB position that gives those tweener players a chance to succeed.I don't know if we can call Barron a trendsetter. I'm just happy we got him and he's playing to his strengths and balling for us.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why they call it a weak safety. It is closer to a super strong safety.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
We should turn this thread into a "name Mark Barron's position" thread. I vote for the Wild (being as how he's the wildcard on D)

jap

Legend
I don't know why they call it a weak safety. It is closer to a super strong safety.

It's just terminology. The strong safety (SS) lines up on the strong side of the OL, usually the side with the TE. The weak safety (WS) lines up on the OL weak side. The SS normally has specific coverage responsibility---usually a TE or RB. The WS has no specific coverage responsibilities in a basic defense. He may play deep zone, assist in double coverage, or play closer to the LOS---perhaps with the option to blitz the opposing backfield.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
We should turn this thread into a "name Mark Barron's position" thread. I vote for the Wild (being as how he's the wildcard on D)

I like that Hitstick.

One of the dictionary definitions for Barron: Noble fighter.

Maybe the position should simply be called The Barron.

:argue: It was right under our nose!
:argue: We don't HAVE a nose!
:argue: But you sure have a MOUTH!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Isn't he be more of a Box Safety???

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some colleges call that position the star or Starbacker. Tennessee's new DC, Bob Shoop has utilized a smaller, faster tweeter like Barron there for many years at Vandy and PSU. I believe Harblah! Is planning to use Jabril Peppers the same way this season. I have a feeling that Peppers is going to be a terror in that role.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barron just offers up some many more options for Gregg's different defensive schemes. MB can even contain the edge if needed. He simply beats the blocks with very little effort. When teams go to the hurry up MB can quickly return fall back into coverage. MB can also easily slip through the interior traffic to stop the run or pressure the QB. I could go on & on what MB does for Gregg. I know that the $$$$ seems awful high for a player know as a Bust for the team (Bucs) who drafted him as I said before but here (give Gregg credit here) they have found a perfect match for a very special talent.

MB in 2015 was also playing WSLB'er next to JL :censored:.I sure do not need to go into JL's decline & dismal play issues but having a super fast side line to side line ranger (Tree) with him will not hurt MB from being even better in 2016. I'm sure looking forward for this upcoming TC & pre season to see how Gregg gets his new LB'ing trio (Ayers/Ogletree/Barron) working together for the first time.

WSLB'er Darren Bates was the back up to Ogletree post for the last few seasons. Jo Dunbar, Bryce Hager & Lynch back up JL in the middle the last few seasons. Bates did play in Goal Line 4th LB'er defense often. Bates was unable to physically wrestle the starting post away from MB after the Tree injury. Now we see WSLB'er Bates is gone.

I would not be concerned about MB playing a special formed post for him & what would occur if MB was injured.Snead/Fisher would seemed to have planned to have MB here for a while because they managed to secure a back up to MB named Matthew Wells last year, who was drafted last season by the Patriots in the 6th rd in 2015. Wells is a 6-2 215 pounder. Wells is signed thru 2017.