Mark Barron, so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I've seen in a few threads that people think Barron has been pretty great for us so far this year, in his limited role. I couldn't remember hearing his name much yesterday, so went and looked at his stats.

SF - 1 tackle
Ari - 5 tackles, with 1 being a stuff
Den - 1 tackle

Now while I don't think stats mean everything in football, I'm curious why the censuses is that he had another good/great game yesterday. Or are people still high on him from the Arizona game?

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So why do people think we got a good deal on him by using our 4th and 6th 2015 picks?

I'm not saying we didn't, I'm just trying to understand where the positivity is coming from.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Barron played 12 snaps yesterday out of 71. 3 were running plays, 7 he covered, 3 he rushed the passer.

TJ McDonald, McLeod each had the full 71 snaps at S, so no S snaps for Barron. But Janoris, Gaines, Ogletree and Laurinaitis each had 71 as well. Tru Jo had 67 snaps. That makes it really easy to account for the snaps, and tells me that for the most part, the only time Barron came onto the field is when the Rams ran a dime package. Dime, for the Rams means 3 DL 2 LB, 6 DB (as opposed to the more traditional 4/1/6, which you can tell because the 2 LBs took all the snaps). Rams possibly ran 4 snaps with 3 S when Tru Jo sat. No snaps at all for Dunbar, though Korey Toomer took one snap.

An unrelated but interesting snap count note, Westbrooks had 11 snaps, where Carrington was not active.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's hard to gauge what's better or worse-McLeod repeatedly part of big plays (that we give up) and penalties for destroying folks or a guy like Barron who you barely read anything on (good or bad). I think we need a larger sample size.
Frankly I'm really on the fence with Rodney. He's had some good moments but seems he's always involved when we give up huge passing plays. That's not what you want in the your FS.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I still like this trade. Even though he did not show up on the stat line, does not mean he did not have an impact. The play where McDonald almost intercepted the pass, Barron was right there. It looked like he played underneath forcing Peyton to throw above him, right into McDonald. I'm sure he get more playing time once he fully grasps the playbook and scheme. It took our D all of the offseason and 7 games into the regular season to fully get it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It took the defense a full training camp plus at least 6 games to learn the GW defense. Shouldn't Barron have the same learning curve?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It took the defense a full training camp plus at least 6 games to learn the GW defense. Shouldn't Barron have the same learning curve?

No! Player's have to produce and they have to produce NOW! There's no time for learning and development!

fearsomefour

Legend
I like the trade because he fits what Williams wants to do. Just like any rotation it depends on the team you are playing and the scheme. McDonald is turning into a full grown player before our eyes. Add Barron as a box S and maybe better depth next year and I like how the S spots are shaping up. Stopping the run game is a key element to turning the pass rush loose. I think Barron will play a role in the development of a dominating run D.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Absolutely. I'm kind of pleased I didn't miss anything that Barron was doing yet. I fully believe in drafting players who might not contribute immediately. Barron would fall under that category, for me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's hard to gauge what's better or worse-McLeod repeatedly part of big plays (that we give up) and penalties for destroying folks or a guy like Barron who you barely read anything on (good or bad). I think we need a larger sample size.
Frankly I'm really on the fence with Rodney. He's had some good moments but seems he's always involved when we give up huge passing plays. That's not what you want in the your FS.
I think that call against McLeod in yesterdays game was a Bad Call! Just because he unloaded on his opponent, that sucks!!

Athos

Legend
I honestly think the Barron trade was for next year, since we have him under contract next year as well.

Totally new system he has to pick up half way through the season. One less draft need I imagine. And TJ-Mac insurance. And it lets TJ-Mac roam more like he has been.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I read that the TD to Sanders was Jenkins' mistake not McLeod's.

I like Rodney. He's growing on me.

And how good is TJ McDonald?!!!! The man has been awesome these last few games

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While he did not have a bunch of tackles yesterday, I think he has been a good addition. Look how well he showed last week when we were thin in the defensive back end. It will take him some time to learn the nuances of the system but the guy is a player and better depth in a position that used to be a weakness.

RamWoodie

Legend
Let's remember that Barron is no veteran! This is his third year folks...and he has come to a defense that's very different from Tampa's defense.

Give the guy some time to get comfortable in the defense. I like what I've seen so far, but I haven't seen enough to gauge wether the Rams made a good deal.