Mark Barron settles into Rams defense/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mark Barron settles into Rams defense
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13600/mark-barron-settles-into-rams-defense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Last Friday, St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams dropped a hint that recently-acquired safety Mark Barron would get his first chance to contribute to the Rams' defense.

“He’s done very, very well," Williams said. "I’ve been extremely impressed with the things that he’s done above and beyond the call of duty. He’s been putting coaching hours in. He’s been in here really late at night doing a lot of studying, a lot of catching up.

"He had to get quickly into the language, but the other thing it’s been fun for me to see him and his eyes light up seeing how aggressive we play. Him wanting to play in that real aggressive fashion. Hopefully, you guys will get a chance to see him play some this week. He’s done a very good job and has earned the right to play in some packages.”

We certainly did get a chance to see him play against Arizona on Sunday, perhaps even a little more than Williams or coach Jeff Fisher had initially presumed. With so many moving pieces on the back end because of injuries, Barron ended up playing 33 snaps on defense only a week after debuting as a Ram by playing seven snaps, all on special teams.

"We played him a little bit more than we anticipated with Mark in the package," Fisher said. "Now Mark’s packages will continue to increase. You can see what he does. He’s a good football player, and he made some big plays for us."

Indeed, Barron wasted little time making his presence felt, coming up with a big hit on Cardinals receiver Michael Floyd early in the game. From there, he only looked more comfortable as he finished with five tackles and a sack.

As for his usage, Barron did indeed spend most of his day near the line of scrimmage. In essence, he was a de facto third linebacker as the Rams delved into their sub packages. And with linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar playing 23 snaps, Barron offered the versatility to help fill that role with Dunbar off the field while also offering better coverage skills when the Cardinals used extra receivers.

According to Pro Football Focus, Barron had nine snaps defending the run, 15 rushing the passer and just nine in coverage. Clearly, the Rams prefer to have Barron's hard-charging style as close to the line of scrimmage as possible and working in tandem with starting safeties T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod.

"I think you get a sense for his physical stature out there," Fisher said. "There was a screen pass and the guard was out in space and he took the guard on. Most DBs would be tumbling or go low. He took the guard on high bounced off and got an assist. He’s a physical player.”

A physical player with a role that will likely only continue to expand, especially with questions surrounding the status of cornerbacks Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson this week.

"I think one would assume we would expand the safety package with Mark,” Fisher said.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Barron played pretty well in his first game action in horns. I like the way we use him, because it gives us 2 run stuffing safties roaming the field & he's an upgrade from Dunbar in coverage. His presence on the field last week almost always occurred by replacing Dunbar.

He and McDonald remind me very much of the way GW used Roman Harper & Malcolm Jenkins in New Orleans

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This guy is one of those guys that just jumps off the screen when he's around the ball. Safety is not even a need, now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Barron looks great, for being in the system for such a short time. Ican't wait to see what he can do against the Bronco's, he could be a difference maker!:D

Irish

Starter
Barron played pretty well in his first game action in horns. I like the way we use him, because it gives us 2 run stuffing safties roaming the field & he's an upgrade from Dunbar in coverage. His presence on the field last week almost always occurred by replacing Dunbar.

He and McDonald remind me very much of the way GW used Roman Harper & Malcolm Jenkins in New Orleans
That's not on accident.

Williams very much needs the right guys on the backend to execute what he wants to do at the line. I wanted good ol' Just for Men's head as badly as anyone in the first half of the season, but I really think it just took more time than anticipated for Williams to get to know his players, put them in a position to succeed, and to feel comfortable being a defensive coordinator again. I will definitely eat crow on that one.

Alan

Legend
rams24/7 liking the new guy:
Barron played pretty well in his first game action in horns. I like the way we use him, because it gives us 2 run stuffing safeties roaming the field & he's an upgrade from Dunbar in coverage. His presence on the field last week almost always occurred by replacing Dunbar.
That's how I see him contributing too. He's our LB/SS hybrid with slightly better pass coverage skills than Dunbar and much better skills at everything else. Now we just need a FS @mr.stlouis ;):LOL: and we'll be all set at safety.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As for his usage, Barron did indeed spend most of his day near the line of scrimmage. In essence, he was a de facto third linebacker as the Rams delved into their sub packages.

Dude plays physical. He looks like a perfect fit for what this Defense wants to be.

Between Barron, TJ, and Joyner this defense will leave you sore come Monday morning.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That's how I see him contributing too. He's our LB/SS hybrid with slightly better pass coverage skills than Dunbar and much better skills at everything else. Now we just need a FS @mr.stlouis ;):LOL: and we'll be all set at safety.
Haha! I'm ready to lay that position debated need to rest, Fisher did. :LOL:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

LaMarcus Joyner, perhaps?

Alan

Legend
Memento with a possibility:
LaMarcus Joyner, perhaps?
I'd be fine with that but Fish doesn't seem to like the idea. I think he thinks Joyner is to small to play safety, even FS. But whatever his reasoning is, we need a reliable last line of defense, especially with GW as our DC. How many more times can we get burned by those long passes for back breaking TDs?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hope he starts Sunday....and we all know whom he should replace...Let TJ roam deep....then let Barron get a lil action deep too....interchangeable....LOVE IT!!!!!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't think TJ or Barron need to be ball hawks. As long as they keep the play in front of them the intended target or ball carrier will be in a world of pain.

iced

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts regarding Barron playing coverage, hybrid ss/lb, etc..

Arizona picked up quickly the main role I saw him being used for - and that's not in coverage, but as a blitzer. Even got one of their offensive coaches mic'ed up saying it on Inside the NFL

Will link if/when they upload the "highlights" from their show

http://www.nfl.com/videos/inside-the-nfl

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Interesting reading everyone's thoughts regarding Barron playing coverage, hybrid ss/lb, etc..

Arizona picked up quickly the main role I saw him being used for - and that's not in coverage, but as a blitzer. Even got one of their offensive coaches mic'ed up saying it on Inside the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/videos/inside-the-nfl

Dude,

That's last weeks show. :cool:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Stricken With Injuries To Secondary
Rams reporter Nick Wagoner says safety Mark Barron should see plenty of playing time against the Broncos on Sunday.

Watch Wagoner's Rams Report

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
no,it was last night's.... can't be last week's show with clips from this past sunday...

When I click on the link it gives me them giving week 10 predictions. Talking about Detroit and Miami off the bat.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Anyone that brings the pain is welcome to wear the horns IMO.
It's coming together, just need to play a 60 min game and this team can compete with anyone.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Got a really good feeling about this guy - Earl Thomas, Rhonde Barber, John Lynch kinda feeling.:rockon:
Don't know why.

iced

When I click on the link it gives me them giving week 10 predictions. Talking about Detroit and Miami off the bat.

Well, i did say this

Needless to say, they didn't. They do have highlights from this past week, like niners vs saints, but they never uploaded the cards/rams highlights. You'd have to watch the show on nfl network or show time...but one of those offensive coaches immediately saw it, and i'll paraphrase (although i feel confidently close): "who is that? who is #28?... that's mark barron...okay,any time you see him on the field, he's comin'..if he's out there, he's comin" then they showed carson palmer's sack where he tears his acl