Mark Barron Fun Facts (and This Is Your Life)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA Rampant

UDFA
Going into the final week of the 2015 season, and with only about 11 starts, Barron led the NFL in run/pass plays that resulted in a loss (excluding sacks), J.J. Watt was second and fellow Ram Aaron Donald was third, giving the Rams two of the top three on that leader board.
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2016/01/nfl-leaders-in-runpass-stuffs-going.html

Barron's contract has been questioned, but the Rams may view his potential as Lavonte David, Pro Bowl WLB-type (just signed a five year, $50 million contract with $25 million guaranteed in the 2015 pre-season).

Barron was sort of playing at that level, his 66 solo tackles starting the last approx. 2/3 of the season would prorate to 100 solos, top 3-ish among NFL LBs . David himself, for instance, was #7 among LBs (85 solo tackles). SF ILB Navorro Bowman was in a class by himself post-torn ACL, leading with 115+ solos, MLB Posluzsny, JAX and OAK WLBs Telvin and Malcolm Smith and KC ILB Derrick Johnson ranged from 103-95 solos.

The Rams front office is somewhat paying for potential to an extent, being a position conversion (though the way he was deployed formerly as a big nickel SS down in the box a lot used primarily in run support and occasional blitzes, is virtually indistinguishable from how he will be used as a full time WLB ), but he really did look like a natural. Interestingly, Barron was a five star prospect rated the #1 WLB prospect in the nation among the 2008 recruiting class by Scout.com who could have gone virtually ANYWHERE (in addition to Alabama, also offers from Auburn, LSU, Florida State and Florida, Tennessee, etc.), so he is in effect being converted BACK from DB to LB, where he began his multi-position journey and NFL pathway in the first place - his first conversion was from LB to safety at Alabama.

Barron's CV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Barron

Tremendous, gifted prep athlete. Track prodigy, improbably won Alabama state titles (?) in long and triple jumps, discus and shot put, potent combo of speed, power and explosiveness.

Two time All-American at NFL pipeline/conduit Alabama. During his sophomore season in 2009, Barron took over as a starter at safety and was second on Alabama's national championship team with 74 tackles and an Southeastern Conference-leading seven interceptions and a touchdown. He also had a career high two interceptions against Mississippi State. Barron finished the regular season tied for third in the nation with 7 interceptions and tied for sixth in the nation with 17 passes defended. He was recognized as a first-team All-SEC selection and third-team All-American at safety.

7th overall pick in the 2012 draft (the same when the Rams traded the 1.2 to WAS, than traded their 1.6 to DAL and got Brockers at 1.14, also when JJ and TruJo were drafted in the second and third) equals elite, blue chip pedigree for a safety, with late UCLA great Eric Turner [#2], Eric Berry [#5], former USC great Mark Carrier [#6], LSUs LaRon Landry [#6] and Miami legend and likely future Hall of Famer if not murdered, the late Sean Taylor [#7]. Also the highest pedigree on the Rams defense, even with three firsts in the top half of the first round on the DL alone (Quinn, Donald and Brockers), as well as one other at LB, with Ogletree a late first, and Ayers not far behind as a relatively high second - as were the recently/just departed Laurinaitis and CB Jenkins, nickel CB Lamarcus Joyner with mid-second pedigree, TruJo and T.J. McDonald high thirds. On offense, he would be third only to QB Goff [1.1], LT Robinson [1.2], and just ahead of Tavon Austin [1.8] and Todd Gurley [1.10]. Kenny Britt was a low first at TEN when Fisher was HC there, Saffold and Brian Quick high seconds.

Just 26, Barron's best football could still be in front of him. With Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Ogletree, Barron, McDonald, TruJo, Gaines and Joyner, that gives the Rams at least two very YOUNG, athletic, versatile and/or talented defenders at each of the three levels of the stop unit.

[[There 2016 ages, in order: 26, 25, 26, 25, 27, 25, 26, 24 and 26 (Barron will be the "oldest" at 27 later in the year, Quinn, TruJo, Brockers and Joyner will be 26, Donald, 'Tree and McDonald will all be 25 and Gaines 24 this year). The above nine players look to comprise a strong nucleus and spine of the defense, giving the Rams the ability to mix and match parts around that, with role payers. If Demoff and the front office can get Ogletree and the DBs extended (as well as Brockers) long term, they could potentially be able to play together and get better for the next half decade or more. Offensive (emerging) stars Goff, Gurley and Austin turn just 22, 22 and 25 in 2016, respectively. DE Williams Hayes will be the defensive vet leadership example/geezer [31], WR Kenny Britt and G Rodger Saffold on offense (both turn 28 in 2016).]]

Barron highlights - flashes coverage skills, but what roars off the screen is that he hits like a 215 lb. electric axe handle! :) Led Alabama secondary, 3 X First-team All-SEC ('09, '10 & '11), 2 X First Team All-American ('10 & '11), 2 X FBS Champ ('09 & '11)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiRzxNGHUJU

TB rookie highlights

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdL7JnDLCo

Wired vs. Bengals

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqG5qZU53Uc

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Williams has just started with him tbh. Now that he's got a permanent spot and role, guess what's next: QB pressure.

You watch and see dudes. Barron will be closer to the LOS this year from camp on, and he's going to be a terror on blitzes with Ogletree. Both those guys move so fast that randomized blitzes from their positions should net a nice spike in pressures and sacks for the defense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Welcome LA Rampant.
I see you've hit the ground running, here at ROD.

You've had a hell of a first day.:cheers:

LA Rampant

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, BROMAN GABRIEL, cheers and bravo for being part of such an outstanding board - I'll drink to that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AFZQOfj7nw

upload_2016-5-15_21-22-55.png

I don't always talk football. But when I do, I prefer Rams. Stay winners, my friends.
upload_2016-5-15_21-13-27.png

W.C. Fields quote after a do gooding PA tampered/meddled with his flask:
"What rascal has been putting pineapple juice in my pineapple juice?"

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Going into the final week of the 2015 season, and with only about 11 starts, Barron led the NFL in run/pass plays that resulted in a loss (excluding sacks), J.J. Watt was second and fellow Ram Aaron Donald was third, giving the Rams two of the top three on that leader board.
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2016/01/nfl-leaders-in-runpass-stuffs-going.html

Barron's contract has been questioned, but the Rams may view his potential as Lavonte David, Pro Bowl WLB-type (just signed a five year, $50 million contract with $25 million guaranteed in the 2015 pre-season).

Barron was sort of playing at that level, his 66 solo tackles starting the last approx. 2/3 of the season would prorate to 100 solos, top 3-ish among NFL LBs . David himself, for instance, was #7 among LBs (85 solo tackles). SF ILB Navorro Bowman was in a class by himself post-torn ACL, leading with 115+ solos, MLB Posluzsny, JAX and OAK WLBs Telvin and Malcolm Smith and KC ILB Derrick Johnson ranged from 103-95 solos.

The Rams front office is somewhat paying for potential to an extent, being a position conversion (though the way he was deployed formerly as a big nickel SS down in the box a lot used primarily in run support and occasional blitzes, is virtually indistinguishable from how he will be used as a full time WLB ), but he really did look like a natural. Interestingly, Barron was a five star prospect rated the #1 WLB prospect in the nation among the 2008 recruiting class by Scout.com who could have gone virtually ANYWHERE (in addition to Alabama, also offers from Auburn, LSU, Florida State and Florida, Tennessee, etc.), so he is in effect being converted BACK from DB to LB, where he began his multi-position journey and NFL pathway in the first place - his first conversion was from LB to safety at Alabama.

Barron's CV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Barron

Tremendous, gifted prep athlete. Track prodigy, improbably won Alabama state titles (?) in long and triple jumps, discus and shot put, potent combo of speed, power and explosiveness.

Two time All-American at NFL pipeline/conduit Alabama. During his sophomore season in 2009, Barron took over as a starter at safety and was second on Alabama's national championship team with 74 tackles and an Southeastern Conference-leading seven interceptions and a touchdown. He also had a career high two interceptions against Mississippi State. Barron finished the regular season tied for third in the nation with 7 interceptions and tied for sixth in the nation with 17 passes defended. He was recognized as a first-team All-SEC selection and third-team All-American at safety.

7th overall pick in the 2012 draft (the same when the Rams traded the 1.2 to WAS, than traded their 1.6 to DAL and got Brockers at 1.14, also when JJ and TruJo were drafted in the second and third) equals elite, blue chip pedigree for a safety, with late UCLA great Eric Turner [#2], Eric Berry [#5], former USC great Mark Carrier [#6], LSUs LaRon Landry [#6] and Miami legend and likely future Hall of Famer if not murdered, the late Sean Taylor [#7]. Also the highest pedigree on the Rams defense, even with three firsts in the top half of the first round on the DL alone (Quinn, Donald and Brockers), as well as one other at LB, with Ogletree a late first, and Ayers not far behind as a relatively high second - as were the recently/just departed Laurinaitis and CB Jenkins, nickel CB Lamarcus Joyner with mid-second pedigree, TruJo and T.J. McDonald high thirds. On offense, he would be third only to QB Goff [1.1], LT Robinson [1.2], and just ahead of Tavon Austin [1.8] and Todd Gurley [1.10]. Kenny Britt was a low first at TEN when Fisher was HC there, Saffold and Brian Quick high seconds.

Just 26, Barron's best football could still be in front of him. With Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Ogletree, Barron, McDonald, TruJo, Gaines and Joyner, that gives the Rams at least two very YOUNG, athletic, versatile and/or talented defenders at each of the three levels of the stop unit.

[[There 2016 ages, in order: 26, 25, 26, 25, 27, 25, 26, 24 and 26 (Barron will be the "oldest" at 27 later in the year, Quinn, TruJo, Brockers and Joyner will be 26, Donald, 'Tree and McDonald will all be 25 and Gaines 24 this year). The above nine players look to comprise a strong nucleus and spine of the defense, giving the Rams the ability to mix and match parts around that, with role payers. If Demoff and the front office can get Ogletree and the DBs extended (as well as Brockers) long term, they could potentially be able to play together and get better for the next half decade or more. Offensive (emerging) stars Goff, Gurley and Austin turn just 22, 22 and 25 in 2016, respectively. DE Williams Hayes will be the defensive vet leadership example/geezer [31], WR Kenny Britt and G Rodger Saffold on offense (both turn 28 in 2016).]]

Barron highlights - flashes coverage skills, but what roars off the screen is that he hits like a 215 lb. electric axe handle! :) Led Alabama secondary, 3 X First-team All-SEC ('09, '10 & '11), 2 X First Team All-American ('10 & '11), 2 X FBS Champ ('09 & '11)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiRzxNGHUJU

TB rookie highlights

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdL7JnDLCo

Wired vs. Bengals

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqG5qZU53Uc
This was a really nice read!! I thoroughly enjoyed it, Great Stuff,thanks!(y)(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks, BROMAN GABRIEL, cheers and bravo for being part of such an outstanding board - I'll drink to that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AFZQOfj7nw

View attachment 13721
I don't always talk football. But when I do, I prefer Rams. Stay winners, my friends.
View attachment 13720

W.C. Fields quote after a do gooding PA tampered/meddled with his flask:
"What rascal has been putting pineapple juice in my pineapple juice?"

Keep posting like this and I may "BookMark you!!:D I like your Style!!(y)

LA Rampant

UDFA
Williams has just started with him tbh. Now that he's got a permanent spot and role, guess what's next: QB pressure.

You watch and see dudes. Barron will be closer to the LOS this year from camp on, and he's going to be a terror on blitzes with Ogletree. Both those guys move so fast that randomized blitzes from their positions should net a nice spike in pressures and sacks for the defense.

How are opposing offenses supposed to account for blitzers from the back seven, with 2 X First-team All-Pro Aaron Donald* (20 sacks in his first two seasons for a DT), 2 X Pro Bowler Robert Quinn (19 sacks in 2013, 45 sacks in his last 53 starts since 2012) and William Hayes (21.5 sacks since 2012, Chris Long had 24 sacks in the same time frame, albeit heavily banged up in the last two seasons - in the four seasons prior to that, his 41.5 sacks from 2010-2013 were top 5 in the NFL) in the front four?

And not only second level defenders Ogletree (10 combined FFs in 2013 & 2014 led the NFL) and Barron are playmakers.

SS T.J. McDonald has 4 sacks in 37 career starts since 2013, and nickel CB(FS?) Lamarcus Joyner has 3 sacks in 26 career games since 2014 (5.5 sacks led all FBS DBs his final 2013 season with Florida State). Incidentally, Trumaine Johnson has 15 INTs in 55 career games since 2012 (7 INTs in 2015 second among CBs and tied third among all DBs).

* Donald
http://www.thepostgame.com/men-action/201603/aaron-donald-los-angeles-rams-nfl-defensive-tackle-size

"At the 2014 NFL Combine, Donald posted the fastest 40-time (4.68 seconds) among defense tackles while benching 225 pounds 35 times.

Pro Football Focus gave Donald a 99.9 rating in 2015, breaking J.J. Watt's record for the highest single-season grade ever awarded to a player. Donald not only led interior players in quarterback pressures, but his run-stop percentage (10.9 percent) also ranked fifth in the NFL among defensive tackles.

His PFF mark made history, for which Donald has an appreciation.

He said he looks up to smaller three-technique tackles from years past like John Randle (6-1, 290 pounds), Warren Sapp (6-2, 303) and La'Roi Glover (6-2, 285)."

Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald Was Your Combine MVP (Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald came in second and third to Jadeveon Clowney in this size-adjusted 40 time ranking)
http://www.footballperspective.com/pittsburghs-aaron-donald-was-your-combine-mvp/

** Hard to overstate how freakish Donald's 4.68 at 285+ lbs. was/is (not to mention coupled with 35 BP reps). If I'm not mistaken, no prospect 285+ lbs. has EVER run a 4.68 or faster (or to say the same thing a different way, I don't think any prospect that has run a 4.68 or faster has ever been 285+ lbs.) in combine history?

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Welcome LA Rampant.
I see you've hit the ground running, here at ROD.

You've had a hell of a first day.:cheers:

I agree. Ease up, pal. The mods might call you in to give a urine sample. Sort of looks like you're juicing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I love Barron's game....I still see him being an excellent SS.....Hope he's durable enough to last 16 games at WLB....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Barron makes a lot of things possible for GW...that is why they paid him what they did IMO. Throw in a healthy AO and this LB corp could be the most interesting thing to watch this season.

LA Rampant

UDFA
I agree. Ease up, pal. The mods might call you in to give a urine sample. Sort of looks like you're juicing.

I didn't think up everything yesterday. Merely porting some stuff over from a couple different places. The hardest thing is remembering where to find stuff. Did somebody say juicing (is memory loss a side effect of juicing? :) ).
upload_2016-5-16_9-53-59.png

upload_2016-5-16_9-51-55.png

upload_2016-5-16_9-54-26.png

upload_2016-5-16_9-54-59.png