Mariota, Winston or Hundley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Wait, what? Winston can't be held accountable for his actions that negatively impact his team, even if they are off the field? Say what? Imagine if he had actually been charged and suspended games for his BB gun BS too.

o_O

The dumbass should have known, at the very least, screaming what he screamed, with those sexual assault allegations hanging around his neck (especially after the piss poor effort of investigation by Tallahassee PD) would have a negative impact, especially screaming that in the student union.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I'm really struggling with Hundley. Going back and forth on him. I just wonder if I am trying to convince myself to like him because the Rams need a QB.

I definitely see the physical talent and I like his feet in the pocket. But there are things he does that would normally make me completely turned off by a QB prospect.

Plus, the admission about him changing his game to impress NFL scouts really does make me wonder if he thinks he's above the team as is stated in this article. He was putting his draft stock before the team's success.

What were your thoughts on Hundley vs USC today? The little I saw of the game I was very impressed! I don't think there is anyway that Mariota or Winston or going to be available when the Rams pick (They are just winning too many games!/And, that IS a good thing!) so would you consider Hundley with their 1st pick (And, he might even be gone!)?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What were your thoughts on Hundley vs USC today? The little I saw of the game I was very impressed! I don't think there is anyway that Mariota or Winston or going to be available when the Rams pick (They are just winning too many games!/And, that IS a good thing!) so would you consider Hundley with their 1st pick (And, he might even be gone!)?

Didn't focus in like I should have but when I was watching I saw good and bad. That pick six was very hard to swallow. Just completely misread the coverage. His first two TDs were both two wide open WRs so not a ton to be gleaned on those plays. He did throw a great ball over the shoulder to Duarte down the sideline and I've always felt he throws a really catchable deep ball. In the pocket, I saw him drop his eyes a few times which is frustrating but I also felt like he showed better composure and I've always liked the way he works the pocket with his feet.

When I get time, I'll dive into his film and come up with my evaluation on him. Right now, I'm still not sure where I stand.

Athos

Legend
What exactly does dropping the eyes even mean? I keep hearing, but don't understand it as it's almost impossible to see "eye dropping" with the angles you get.

Does that mean dropping the head and tucking the ball for a run or something?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When I get time, I'll dive into his film and come up with my evaluation on him. Right now, I'm still not sure where I stand.

I look forward to that as always sir Memphis had posted if I like Hundley because of his play or because I feel the Rams have a shot to get him and that made me go "Hmmm" Overall though I like the kid and have since he's been at UCLA. I felt they were a better team with number 17 at quarterback.

I have a colleague of mine who's a huge UCLA fan and has watched every game that Hundley has played and he's also a Ram fan. I asked him his evaluation and he felt Hundley would never be an outright bust and does have some upside. Not a ringing endorsement, however, he did say he expected more out of the team this year.

I thought it was interesting in the interview with Keyshawn Johnson that Hundley chose Donovan McNabb as his favorite player and Hundley mentioned his ups and downs. I always felt McNabb's biggest issue was his accuracy, but it seems Hundley does understand not everything as a quarterback goes your way and although I concur with the interception the kid bounced back and led them to victory. His fumble at the goal line was also not his finest hour, however, again I loved that he bounced back to finish 3-0 against USC and I don't think many UCLA signal callers can claim that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What exactly does dropping the eyes even mean? I keep hearing, but don't understand it as it's almost impossible to see "eye dropping" with the angles you get.

Does that mean dropping the head and tucking the ball for a run or something?

You can see it. It means that instead of moving in the pocket or even scrambling while keeping your eyes down-field to find targets, you drop your eyes to spot the pressure. The issue with doing that is if your eyes are on the pressure, you can't throw the ball until you get them back up and find a target down-field. If a guy has poor eye discipline or is dropping his eyes, it means he's feeling pressure and reacting poorly to it.

Athos

Legend
He has some tools, needs a lot of polish. This QB class sucks.

"needs polish," doesn't quite say it. I looked at him too because of his size.....Under 350 career attempts at the FCS level.....Miserable completion percentage against every team he's faced.

No thanks.

I don't want to go fishing for a pearl in a barrel of maggots for a QB. Go for an early QB or don't even bother at all.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Mariota looks like he might have wrapped up the Heisman today with help from Winston throwing 4 picks.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd just as soon have Michigan State QB Connor Cook before these three. I just don't feel good about any of them at the moment.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Winston has NFL bust written on him.
Aside from the off the field stuff, he's really struggled at times this year. It makes me wonder what he's going to do when he has to face NFL caliber defenses when he has struggles against Notre Dame and Florida.

Is the rest of his offense letting him down? Is he making good decisions and just having bad luck with tipped passes or drops? With all of the hype and publicity associated with this guy, his play on the field better be off the charts and unquestionable. Last year, I think that was more the case. This year, his numbers don't warrant the risk IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Aside from the off the field stuff, he's really struggled at times this year. It makes me wonder what he's going to do when he has to face NFL caliber defenses when he has struggles against Notre Dame and Florida.

Is the rest of his offense letting him down? Is he making good decisions and just having bad luck with tipped passes or drops? With all of the hype and publicity associated with this guy, his play on the field better be off the charts and unquestionable. Last year, I think that was more the case. This year, his numbers don't warrant the risk IMO.

Great points looking forward to how he plays against Alabama.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Great points looking forward to how he plays against Alabama.
21TD/17INT on the year is quite a drop in production and efficiency. His completion % dropped a tick from last year too as well as his YPA. Maybe the bar was set too high but I don't see this guy going #1 and IMO, he should really go back one more year.

That's what will be most interesting to me. If Oakland and Jacksonville are drafting 1/2 and with the RGIII trade at the forefront of everyone's mind, will someone really step up to the plate and trade up to get any of these QB's? Will these QB's be motivated to declare if there is uncertainty where they will be drafted? I mean, if there's a chance(or certainty) that you'll go at the top of the draft, I can see the appeal of getting that big paycheck. But if you're BMOC in college and you're going to drop in the draft...well, Connor Cook already decided to stay and he was arguably the top prospect. With all the question marks involved with the draft and teams that already have their apparent QBOF sitting at the front of the draft, I could easily see this being a race between Mariota and Winston.

Whoever declares first will influence the other into possibly staying one more year in college.

Athos

Legend

+ 4 TD/INT right now. Mediocre with the competition he's faced.

2 picks against Okie Lite, 2 against NC State, 3 against Louisville, 2 against UVA, 4 against UF.

All teams with mediocre to dreadful offenses. Okie Lite a shell of itself this year. Louisville without Teddy (with Teddy it probably shreds Winston with his 3 picks). UF is horrendous on O. With 4 picks that's a blowout against many of the other SEC offenses.

If he makes those mistakes in the NFL, he basically has a Blake Bortles type season.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I really think with the down year and all the controversy Winston will come back for another season. That would make Hundley the second best qb? Ouch! This qb class is so pathetic.

moklerman

Warner-phile
+ 4 TD/INT right now. Mediocre with the competition he's faced.

2 picks against Okie Lite, 2 against NC State, 3 against Louisville, 2 against UVA, 4 against UF.

All teams with mediocre to dreadful offenses. Okie Lite a shell of itself this year. Louisville without Teddy (with Teddy it probably shreds Winston with his 3 picks). UF is horrendous on O. With 4 picks that's a blowout against many of the other SEC offenses.

If he makes those mistakes in the NFL, he basically has a Blake Bortles type season.
I basically agree and that's what's scary to me since I was really impressed with Bortles before the season. If he's struggling this much, I don't see Winston doing even that well.