Mariota, Winston or Hundley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I watched the Alabama game this weekend and was not impressed by Prescott. I hadnt seem him play before that but he seems like a college qb that wont be successful in the nfl. I think the rams need to draft qb fairly early but I dont see many that impress me. Last years draft was much better for qbs and the rams missed the boat.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Agreed. I'd be interested in seeing what he could do...at WR.

Not me. I'd like to see him get another shot at QB and used how San Fran used Kaepernick early.

In fact, I can't help but to wonder how his career could have turned out if he were in talent laden San Francisco, at or near the bottom in passing attempts, and Colin Kaepernick had his NFL start in talent depleted Oakland with 3 different offensive coordinators.

My guess is that some would want to see Kaepernick at WR, too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not me. I'd like to see him get another shot at QB and used how San Fran used Kaepernick early.

In fact, I can't help but to wonder how his career could have turned out if he were in talent laden San Francisco, at or near the bottom in passing attempts, and Colin Kaepernick had his NFL start in talent depleted Oakland with 3 different offensive coordinators.

My guess is that some would want to see Kaepernick at WR, too.

Disagree. Kaepernick doesn't process things quickly on the field but he's an intelligent guy. Pryor is not. He has a 10 cent head. And he doesn't have nearly the arm talent that Kaepernick does.

I want nothing to do with Pryor at QB. I want a QB that can throw. Pryor is not an effective passer...mentally or technically.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Disagree. Kaepernick doesn't process things quickly on the field but he's an intelligent guy. Pryor is not. He has a 10 cent head. And he doesn't have nearly the arm talent that Kaepernick does.

I want nothing to do with Pryor at QB. I want a QB that can throw. Pryor is not an effective passer...mentally or technically.

Can't comment on Pryor's intelligence as I don't know him, but while he doesn't have Kaepernick's arm talent, he doesn't really need it to be successful.

He just needs to make a read or two via half the field and take off running if the play isn't there. That's all Kaepernick did when he got started and the 49ers have played in Championship games. And Pryor is even faster than Kaepernick.

A much smaller Vick did the same thing in Atlanta and they won ball games. And my guess is that they'd would have won a lot more if they ever had a top defense like the 49ers. Surely he's not considered a brainiac.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I watched the Alabama game this weekend and was not impressed by Prescott. I hadnt seem him play before that but he seems like a college qb that wont be successful in the nfl. I think the rams need to draft qb fairly early but I dont see many that impress me. Last years draft was much better for qbs and the rams missed the boat.

Watch the LSU game. Yes, Prescott obviously needs to sit for a year and learn an NFL offense, but I think he's got a bright future in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't comment on Pryor's intelligence as I don't know him, but while he doesn't have Kaepernick's arm talent, he doesn't really need it to be successful.

He just needs to make a read or two via half the field and take off running if the play isn't there. That's all Kaepernick did when he got started and the 49ers have played in Championship games. And Pryor is even faster than Kaepernick.

A much smaller Vick did the same thing in Atlanta and they won ball games. And my guess is that they'd would have won a lot more if they ever had a top defense like the 49ers. Surely he's not considered a brainiac.

Okay but that type of winning just isn't sustainable. You get figured out. You have to be able to win with your arm. And the thing about Vick and Kaepernick is that both had otherworldly arms so when they did have to throw, they could compensate for their poor timing with the rockets they threw.

I want a real QB. Not a HB that can kind of throw.

If we wanted to have Pryor on the roster as a 3rd QB...fine. But I would prefer him be tried at WR in that situation because I think he has the athletic gifts to play that position.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okay but that type of winning just isn't sustainable. You get figured out. You have to be able to win with your arm. And the thing about Vick and Kaepernick is that both had otherworldly arms so when they did have to throw, they could compensate for their poor timing with the rockets they threw.

I want a real QB. Not a HB that can kind of throw.

If we wanted to have Pryor on the roster as a 3rd QB...fine. But I would prefer him be tried at WR in that situation because I think he has the athletic gifts to play that position.

Minus a rare commodity (a Manning, Favre, Brady, etc) at the position, I don't know if anything type of winning is really all that sustainable in this league. Meanwhile, the 49ers just keep winning ballgames with a QB that gives their running game an extra 500 or so yards per season.

If the plan is to continue with the strong running game / strong defense philosophy I'm fine with going the way the 49ers have gone with Kaepernick. I'll take those extra 500 rushing yards from the position and watch my INT total drop and give my defense more rest.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minus a rare commodity (a Manning, Favre, Brady, etc) at the position, I don't know if anything type of winning is really all that sustainable in this league. Meanwhile, the 49ers just keep winning ballgames with a QB that gives their running game an extra 500 or so yards per season.

If the plan is to continue with the strong running game / strong defense philosophy I'm fine with going the way the 49ers have gone with Kaepernick. I'll take those extra 500 rushing yards from the position and watch my INT total drop and give my defense more rest.

The 49ers would be a much more dangerous team with a top 10 QB. They have weapons. They have defense. They have a running game. And yet they're a middle of the pack team right now. If they had a Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger, they'd have a ring.

If we want to go that direction, draft a guy like Hundley or Mariota. You want a QB that can run...fine. But I need a QB that can also pass. Terrelle Pryor isn't even Kaepernick good. That's the larger issue.

I think you're overestimating what he could do. Yes, Fisher had some success with Vince Young...who is pretty similar to Pryor. But I feel like that would simply being conceding that we can't find a QB. And that would be a mistake.

Frankly, give me Bradford over Pryor.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The 49ers would be a much more dangerous team with a top 10 QB. They have weapons. They have defense. They have a running game. And yet they're a middle of the pack team right now. If they had a Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger, they'd have a ring.

If we want to go that direction, draft a guy like Hundley or Mariota. You want a QB that can run...fine. But I need a QB that can also pass. Terrelle Pryor isn't even Kaepernick good. That's the larger issue.

I think you're overestimating what he could do. Yes, Fisher had some success with Vince Young...who is pretty similar to Pryor. But I feel like that would simply being conceding that we can't find a QB. And that would be a mistake.

Frankly, give me Bradford over Pryor.

Oh. I'd take a healthy Bradford over Pryor all day long. But, I haven't seen that during the season in some time and his contract may become an issue this offseason.

Mariota? He's is a pipe dream. The team would have to tank the rest of the season and still probably have to sell the farm to go get him. And I don't believe that Hundley is that much better, if at all, than Pryor whom could be had without even using a 1st round pick.

And the 49ers are a middle to the pack team right now, but they were in the Super Bowl in 2012 and the NFC Championship just last year. IMO, the QB isn't the reason they are middle to the pack right now. Injuries and/or suspensions have hurt them more than the QB position. That and an OC that has somehow forgotten that Gore is on the team and how running the football was vital to their success.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh. I'd take a healthy Bradford over Pryor all day long. But, I haven't seen that during the season in some time and his contract may become an issue this offseason.

Mariota? He's is a pipe dream. The team would have to tank the rest of the season and still probably have to sell the farm to go get him. And I don't believe that Hundley is that much better, if at all, than Pryor whom could be had without even using a 1st round pick.

And the 49ers are a middle to the pack team right now, but they were in the Super Bowl in 2012 and the NFC Championship just last year. IMO, the QB isn't the reason they are middle to the pack right now. Injuries and/or suspensions have hurt them more than the QB position. That and an OC that has somehow forgotten that Gore is on the team and how running the football was vital to their success.

Hundley is much better than Pryor.

QB is the biggest reason why they're where they are.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hundley is much better than Pryor.

QB is the biggest reason why they're where they are.

We will have to agree to disagree on Hundley being much better than Pryor.

So Kaepernick is worse now than he was when they went to the Super Bowl in 2012 and the Championship Game last year? Or was he the reason they got there then?

Athos

Legend
So Kaepernick is worse now than he was when they went to the Super Bowl in 2012 and the Championship Game last year? Or was he the reason they got there then?

Kraperdick sucks and he went to a playoff caliber team that went to the NFC CCG and lost by 3 in OT the year before. And the Whiners have given him all those weapons and a playoff D......and he still is a mediocre QB.

And Hundley is better than Pryor and Kraperdick as a passer imo.

Pac-12 superior to WAC and Hundley has put up much better #s in accuracy. Hundley looks like more than just a pair of legs with a big arm like CK.

And I wasn't sure about BH early on. But he's impressing me, especially if we can sit him a year. And he's put up great #s against the strongest competition he's faced too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We will have to agree to disagree on Hundley being much better than Pryor.

Same player. His first year, he was a big part of the reason they got there...but teams hadn't figured him out at that point. Last year, he was along for the ride.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Same player. His first year, he was a big part of the reason they got there...but teams hadn't figured him out at that point. Last year, he was along for the ride.

So in three seasons he's gone from a big part of the reason for his team's success, to being along for the ride last year, to now it being his fault the team is, I guess now ashamedly, 6-4 (possibly 7-3 with better camera angle) with 6 games to go? Ok. If they finish out strong, I'm hoping he won't move from it being his fault to him being along for the ride again.

Either way, no matter what anyone thinks about him, he's a great fit for a run -first/ strong defense philosophy and the 49ers have and are winning with him at QB. But, if you try to fit him in the box of your typical desired QB then you'll have the issues you present. Something I believe the 49ers are learning as they go along, as they went out and got all those WRs and are passing more than they have run which didn't happen the last 3 years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-does-marcus-mariota-of-oregon-remind-you-of

Ask 5: Who does Marcus Mariota of Oregon remind you of?
  • 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
I don't believe there's an Andrew Luck-caliber quarterback currently playing college football, and we won't see a talent like the Indianapolis Colts quarterback for a long time. That being said, Oregon QB Marcus Mariota is one of the more intriguing quarterbacks we've seen in a number of years.

In a weekly series, draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah polls five NFL personnel executives about college football's top prospects.

Mariota has a dual-threat skill set similar to Johnny Manziel, the Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M who now plays for the Cleveland Browns. The 2014 NFL Draftfirst-round pick very nearly went to Oregon, and then-Oregon coach and current Philadelphia Eagles coachChip Kelly said losing out on Manziel, "broke my heart." Instead, Kelly was able to get a commitment from Mariota in the same recruiting class.

Sometimes it's tough to find comparisons for players who run the wide-open Oregon offense, but I reached out to five NFL personnel executives to see which current NFL quarterback does Mariota remind them of as a player.

Executive 1: Colin Kaepernick
"The easy answer is Kaepernick. Both have rare speed and were unpolished passers. Both were great kids coming out of college."

Executive 2: Robert Griffin III
"This is a tough one. At the same point in their careers, I'd say RGIII. They have similar arm strengths, and an ability to run, escape and extend plays."

Executive 3: Colin Kaepernick
"He reminds me of Kaepernick, but Colin is bigger and strong than Mariota. I think Mariota might be a little bit faster."

Executive 4: Colin Kaepernick
"He reminds me of Kaepernick, but with better instincts and a little less arm."

Executive 5: Sam Bradford
"He's a more athletic version of Sam Bradford."

Verdict: I've heard the comparison to the San Francisco 49ers' quarterback multiple times. The Robert Griffin III comparison is also interesting.

Conclusion: The more I think of it, the comparison that caught my eye was Bradford. There are a lot of similarities. Personally, I thought Bradford was more a accurate passer in college than Mariota.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So in three seasons he's gone from a big part of the reason for his team's success, to being along for the ride last year, to now it being his fault the team is, I guess now ashamedly, 6-4 (possibly 7-3 with better camera angle) with 6 games to go? Ok. If they finish out strong, I'm hoping he won't move from it being his fault to him being along for the ride again.

Either way, no matter what anyone thinks about him, he's a great fit for a run -first/ strong defense philosophy and the 49ers have and are winning with him at QB. But, if you try to fit him in the box of your typical desired QB then you'll have the issues you present. Something I believe the 49ers are learning as they go along, as they went out and got all those WRs and are passing more than they have run which didn't happen the last 3 years.

What QB isn't a great fit for that? Maybe a Cutler or a Stafford. But it's not hard to be a great fit for that sort of team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What QB isn't a great fit for that? Maybe a Cutler or a Stafford. But it's not hard to be a great fit for that sort of team.

Depends on one's definition of a great fit. For me that player has to contribute to the running game like Wilson and Kaepernick do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on one's definition of a great fit. For me that player has to contribute to the running game like Wilson and Kaepernick do.

Not if they hold back the passing game. If the team already has an effective running game, I'd rather have the more competent passer. Especially when you have a beastly defense.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not if they hold back the passing game. If the team already has an effective running game, I'd rather have the more competent passer. Especially when you have a beastly defense.

Sure. But, I'm not looking for style points. Just wins. And Kaepernick has "held back the passing game" of the 49ers into the Super Bowl and a NFC Championship Game. And both he and Wilson have done so with the fewest passing attempts per game of NFL starting QBs.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure. But, I'm not looking for style points. Just wins. And Kaepernick has "held back the passing game" of the 49ers into the Super Bowl and a NFC Championship Game. And both he and Wilson have done so with the fewest passing attempts per game of NFL starting QBs.

As am I. And the best way to get wins is with a guy that can win you games with his arm. Even Alex Smith got the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game.