Mariota dropping?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I just looked at a few Mock Drafts and I was really surprised to see where some of these Mocks had Mariota going in their Drafts (Brian Baldinger had him going #20!, Bucky Brooks had him going #17 and Charles Davis actually had him going to the Rams at #10).

I realize the Rams need offensive line help and I realize the Rams just traded for Nick Foles but I don't think I could pass on Mariota IF he really is really still available when the Rams pick at #10. With Foles & Mariota I think the Rams QB situation would be in great shape for many years!

fearsomefour

Legend
I just looked at a few Mock Drafts and I was really surprised to see where some of these Mocks had Mariota going in their Drafts (Brian Baldinger had him going #20!, Bucky Brooks had him going #17 and Charles Davis actually had him going to the Rams at #10).

I realize the Rams need offensive line help and I realize the Rams just traded for Nick Foles but I don't think I could pass on Mariota IF he really is really still available when the Rams pick at #10. With Foles & Mariota I think the Rams QB situation would be in great shape for many years!
I don't think he will fall to 20 to I think he will fall some.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him there at 10.

And I just have no idea whatsoever if the Rams would grab him if he was.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams think there is a chance that either Winston or Mariota can be franchise QBs then they cannot pass one of them up. Even with Foles on the team they need to continue to look to the future and a franchise QB is the single most important piece to every team in the NFL.

Foles is no Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady. Until they find that guy, the Rams need to continue looking. If they really don't think either will be any good then pass on them. But don't pass on them just because they have one guaranteed year of Nick Foles.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If the Rams think there is a chance that either Winston or Mariota can be franchise QBs then they cannot pass one of them up. Even with Foles on the team they need to continue to look to the future and a franchise QB is the single most important piece to every team in the NFL.

Foles is no Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady. Until they find that guy, the Rams need to continue looking. If they really don't think either will be any good then pass on them. But don't pass on them just because they have one guaranteed year of Nick Foles.

Agreed. You don't pass on Mariota at ten because of Foles. If he's there, then Cooper, White, and Peat are gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No way.

There are too many QB needy teams for him or Winston to fall out of top 7. Washington, Jets, Chicago... Then Philly, New Orleans and San Diego come in play for trade up.

No Aaron Rodgers drop this year.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way.

There are too many QB needy teams for him or Winston to fall out of top 7. Washington, Jets, Chicago... Then Philly, New Orleans and San Diego come in play for trade up.

No Aaron Rodgers drop this year.

I agree! I will be totally shocked if Mariota does drop to the Rams BUT if he does I certainly hope the Rams take him!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree! I will be totally shocked if Mariota does drop to the Rams BUT if he does I certainly hope the Rams take him!

I think they would or at the very least expect a trade down.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Agreed. You don't pass on Mariota at ten because of Foles. If he's there, then Cooper, White, and Peat are gone.

Well, Peat will prolly still be there but he isn't really part of this conversation anyway. We are talking first round here.

:double:

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well, Peat will prolly still be there but he isn't really part of this conversation anyway. We are talking first round here.

:double:

We'll certainly see. You're probably wrong, but we'll see. :p

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The real nut cruncher for me (if i was the Rams GM) would be to have to make a decision between Mariota and Cooper/White if it came to that.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
The real nut cruncher for me (if i was the Rams GM) would be to have to make a decision between Mariota and Cooper/White if it came to that.

If the rams think Mariota can be a franchise signal caller....it's gotta be the QB.

Memento

Name
Jemma

It would be Cooper/White over Mariota. Easily. Take the best player on the board. Always trust your board.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the rams think Mariota can be a franchise signal caller....it's gotta be the QB.
Yeah i get line of thinking and i agree in terms of QB value over WR, but maybe they also feel the same way about Foles and feel like they can draft an elite playmaking WR. Then get a year to completely evaluate a loaded offense with Foles and go from there.

I would probably flip a coin, play scissors paper rock and draft the WR anyway.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It would be Cooper/White over Mariota. Easily. Take the best player on the board. Always trust your board.
It's quite possible that they have them rated equally and have to decide on need/fit. That's sort of my whole point.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It's quite possible that they have them rated equally and have to decide on need/fit. That's sort of my whole point.

Thing of it is, you have to question whether Mariota is a generational talent in the mold of Cooper and White. When in doubt, go with the generational talent.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cooper and White aren't generational talent IMO
I don't believe in projecting generational talent. We get that stuff every other year. It's just media heads doing their jobs to hype the draft.
I still think it's an interesting, valid question(Mariota or Cooper/White) that where it concerns the Rams, if you break it down to fit/need and all things being equal in terms of your big board...which direction should this team go?