Marcus Peters locked in on ball, not contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams CB Marcus Peters locked in on ball, not contract situation

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- He has a league-high 22 interceptions since he entered the NFL in 2015, but with a season opener against the Carolina Panthers around the corner, Los Angeles Rams cornerback Marcus Peters does not have a long-term contract in hand.

"I'm just here to play football," said Peters, who is entering the fifth and final season of his rookie deal. "The rest of that stuff will take care of [itself] when it's time."

A new deal does not necessarily appear imminent for the 26-year-old Peters, whom the Rams acquired in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs for a fourth- and second-round pick after the 2017 season. A two-time Pro Bowl selection and All Pro, Peters is scheduled to earn $9 million this season.

"Right now, we've been so busy just kind of handling training camp, things like that," Rams coach Sean McVay said, when asked earlier this week about the status of contract negotiations for Peters and quarterback Jared Goff -- who is entering the fourth season of his five-year rookie contract. "Those are two very important players to us as we move forward this season. That's kind of where we're at right now with that."

Before training camp, it seemed possible that Peters could hold out for a new deal. That's what his close friend Marshawn Lynch did with the Seattle Seahawks in 2014, before he reported ahead of the season, without a new contract.

But that's not the route Peters' chose.

"I feel that you just keep coming and you do what you need to do and everything will get taken care of," Peters said. "We've got bigger goals, really."

The Rams are in pursuit of their third consecutive division title and a return trip to the Super Bowl. If Peters plays to his potential, he might not only help propel them to a deep playoff run, but help himself to a sizeable payday -- be it with the Rams or elsewhere. The Rams could also place the franchise tag on him, which this season is worth $16 million for cornerbacks.

In May, the Miami Dolphins awarded cornerback Xavien Howard, a second-round pick in 2016, with a five-year, $76.5 million contract that includes $46 million guaranteed, to make him the highest-paid cornerback in NFL history. Howard has 11 interceptions in three seasons, including seven in 2018.

Last season, playing in defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' scheme for the first time, Peters did not perform to standard until the second half of the schedule and into the playoffs.

He came to the Rams with 19 career interceptions and 55 pass deflections in three seasons. But in 2018 he finished with a career-low three interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown, and eight pass deflections.

"I put him in situations I shouldn't have," Phillips said. "Now we got him playing with more help in some situations, so he can take more chances. He knows when to and when not to."

Peters has not played in the preseason along with the rest of the Rams' starters and key reserves.

But McVay and teammates said that Peters has stood out in practices for a secondary that includes cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Nickell Robey-Coleman and safeties Eric Weddleand John Johnson III.

"He's been locked in," McVay said about Peters. "He's been engaged."

Weddle, who signed a two-year deal in free agency, said he has long admired Peters' play from afar, but has been even more impressed to see it up close -- and to learn about Peters' personality.

"Getting to know him on a personal level, and just his personality, he's got a glow about himself that resonates with everybody," Weddle said. "You want to be around him. He's funny, he works extremely hard and he's probably been one of the top performers in camp -- of how consistent he's been, his technique, how locked in he's been."

But, as Peters' acknowledged, only time will tell if his on-field performance will translate to an extension.

"The way that he ended last year gives him a lot of positive momentum to build off of," McVay said. "If he does, there's going to be a lot of good things that happen for the Rams and Marcus Peters."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man you scared me. a quick glance at the headline made me think he was locked up in jail.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

man you scared me. a quick glance at the headline made me think he was locked up in jail.

Lol. Yeah... It’s not my article title... we could tweak it. :unsure:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

peters was in no position to hold out. he was awful for a large part of last season. he'd get laughed at if he held out and he knows it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That backfield could be really dangerous. They want to allow Peters to take some chances because INTs can truly change a game. We have a QB for them now and that will likely pay big in making sure we don't have situations where Peters takes a chance on a ball and the safety is also in a position where he gets completely burned. I get the feeling Weddle is going to be really good for both Peters and Talib and that will allow NRC to play tight coverage at the line. If our ILBs and interior D-line step up, it will be awfully hard to score on this defense and there's a very good chance we see a lot of turn overs going our way.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
That backfield could be really dangerous. They want to allow Peters to take some chances because INTs can truly change a game. We have a QB for them now and that will likely pay big in making sure we don't have situations where Peters takes a chance on a ball and the safety is also in a position where he gets completely burned. I get the feeling Weddle is going to be really good for both Peters and Talib and that will allow NRC to play tight coverage at the line. If our ILBs and interior D-line step up, it will be awfully hard to score on this defense and there's a very good chance we see a lot of turn overs going our way.
Agree with the turn overs we should see larger numbers. I still think they will struggle against the run....but be improved from last season. After all, there's basically only one direction to go.:rolleyes:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Bring on the Panthers. We will flush Newton out and our DBs will take advantage

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I like the endorsement from Weddle.

He's got a glow about him. You just want to be around him.

Boy is that different from what you might think of him as far as his media narrative is written.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the real problem with Peters is that he's a poor fit for Wade's scheme. He was brought in thinking he would play an aggressive press man coverage style. In reality, he's basically a zone CB who likes to freelance which is what got him in trouble last year. He has to remain disciplined and play the scheme. Once he did that his play improved. I think it's a toss-up as to whether they re-sign him. I think he will have to prove himself this year and then see what he expects to be paid. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if their first pick next year is a CB.

If Peters plays up to expectations, I can see them offering about $12-$13M/yr average. A lot will depend upon the guaranteed so that is where the Ram's comfort zone comes into play. Bottom line, however, is that his play this year will have to show he's back on track with his 2015 & 2016 level of play.

In reality, if Ronald Darby fully recovers from his ACL with no complications then he would be my top FA Target. He would be a cheaper and far better CB as he could be signed for far less and he's a better fit for Wade's scheme if paired up with David Long. Wade would finally have two man coverage CBs outside.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he's basically a zone CB who likes to freelance which is what got him in trouble last year.

Well, that, plus the injury he was pretty blatantly playing through until the off week. He may not have been the ideal player to be the #1 CB for the middle part of the season, but ignoring his injury doesn't help, either.

jap

Legend
I just want to see Marcus mutate into a complete, football-savvy CB who is solid against both pass and run. As long as he is healthy, having an example like Aqib and being around an on-the-field coach like Eric Weedle, how could he not improve dramatically?

Ram65

Legend
Last year the entire defensive backfield seemed out of communication sync all too often. It's a new season for Peters and the Rams defensive backfield that has added a smart veteran in Eric Weddle. Weddle taking control of communications will allow Peters to play more relaxed which should result in improved pass coverage. I want to see what a relaxed and healthy Peters with a year in Wade's system can do. I would take better coverage with more INTs as a bonus.

As far as getting paid and staying a Ram. The Rams don't have a lot of cap space to keep signing high priced free agents. I think he will be outpriced for the Rams if he has a good season. I don't think he is the lockdown CB the Rams need. Let's see what happens.

oldnotdead

Legend
If he's in the range I quoted they should have the money. But it depends on the guaranteed and how he plays this year. It also depends upon if they can get a better CB like Darby who is a better fit.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I thought the same thing! Whew.

Hoping he has a great season. Hoping he gets LOCKED UP....on the receivers, and BAILED OUT!! ...by Weddle on occasion when he bites in an out pattern.