Marcus Lattimore pulls off 'impossible' muscle gain in rehab

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/19/marcus-lattimore-rehab/1930751/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... b/1930751/</a>
Robert Klemko, USA TODAY Sports4:22p.m. EST February 19, 2013

(Photo: JD Mercer, USA TODAY Sports)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Lattimore was projected as a first-round pick before his injury
He is not trying to rehab his second major knee injury in two years
Watch out Adrian Peterson, there's a new rehabilitation stud.

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore suffered a catastrophic knee injury in an Oct. 27 game against Tennessee. Six days later, orthopedist James Andrews' team was completely rebuilding Lattimore's right knee, repairing the ACL, LCL and PCL.

Lattimore, 21, was determined to turn the second major knee injury of his career into the next great comeback story. He's already gained 20 pounds of muscle and could play in 2013, Andrews says.

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore told USA TODAY Sports. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

Andrews says Lattimore is three months ahead of schedule on his rehab, and his work ethic has been on par with Peterson, the Minnesota Vikings running back and Andrews patient who came within 9 yards of the single-season rushing record after tearing his ACL the previous season.

"He's twice as far along as we ever expected him to be. He's so self motivated," Andrews says of Lattimore. "This weight he's put on has been all muscle, which is absolutely impossible in most cases. It remains to be seen if he can play this season.

"We've had to slow him down in certain activities because he'd get ahead of us," Andrews added. "He's one of the finest young men I've ever had the opportunity to help take care of."

PHOTOS: MARCU
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/19/marcus-lattimore-rehab/1930751/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... b/1930751/</a>

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Marcus Lattimore pulls off 'impossible' muscle gain in r

interesting to say the least
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is not surprising. Marcus is one of those guys who gives football players a good name. Extremely hard-working, humble and down to earth. It's really terrible that he's been cursed with the injuries that he has but he would be the guy to make the most of it. Desptie his injuries, I still hope he's a Ram. You know you'd be getting an extremely high character guy who would work his arse off to be the best for us.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

jrry32 said:
This is not surprising. Marcus is one of those guys who gives football players a good name. Extremely hard-working, humble and down to earth. It's really terrible that he's been cursed with the injuries that he has but he would be the guy to make the most of it. Desptie his injuries, I still hope he's a Ram. You know you'd be getting an extremely high character guy who would work his arse off to be the best for us.

Ditto. I want Lattimore to be a Ram so badly. He reminds me so much of a young Steven Jackson, except maybe more mature than when Jackson first came into the league. AP and Marshawn Lynch (except way more mature than Lynch) also come to mind.

You know, I think you've convinced me. Maybe we should spend a fourth round pick on him.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Memento said:
You know, I think you've convinced me. Maybe we should spend a fourth round pick on him.

Not sure I would pick him that high. Having had two major knee surgeries, not to mention that a running back's life in the NFL is short lived for most, seems like a huge risk with little reward. I agree the kid is special, but I don't think teams will look at him until the last couple rounds, or even free-agent. Tough deal.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I would hold my breath every time he touched the ball.

If only DX and Marcus never had knee injuries...2 beast players. Meanwhile you get guys like Richard Sherman. :nono:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

MontanaRamsFan said:
Memento said:

Not sure I would pick him that high. Having had two major knee surgeries, not to mention that a running back's life in the NFL is short lived for most, seems like a huge risk with little reward. I agree the kid is special, but I don't think teams will look at him until the last couple rounds, or even free-agent. Tough deal.

Before the last college season started, Lattimore was considered a potential top twenty-five pick, even with his prior knee injury. Talent-wise, he's one of the best players in this draft. He's high-risk, sure, but he's the type of playmaker that we desperately need. The reward is much higher than the risk. And even if they don't think he's fully recovered from his knee injury at the start of camp, they can just put him on the PUP list and have him learn from one of the best in Steven Jackson.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Memento said:
MontanaRamsFan said:
Memento said:

Before the last college season started, Lattimore was considered a potential top twenty-five pick, even with his prior knee injury. Talent-wise, he's one of the best players in this draft. He's high-risk, sure, but he's the type of playmaker that we desperately need. The reward is much higher than the risk. And even if they don't think he's fully recovered from his knee injury at the start of camp, they can just put him on the PUP list and have him learn from one of the best in Steven Jackson.

+1

Physically Lattimore is a freak of nature. Much like an AD, Richardson, RunDMC, etc. Difference is he has shredded his knee twice. His talent level will get him drafted earlier than most expect IMO. I wouldnt be surprised if he was gone by the time we pick in the 3rd.

Im not suggesting he should get drafted that high, just IMO he will. Assuming doctors think his rehab is going well

iced

okay not gonna lie.. I loved the kid in college and couldn't wait to see him enter the draft - felt so bad for him when he tore his acl and was very weary of us wanting to draft him before the 3rd-4th with 2 surgeries 2 years in a row. But after AP and reading how this kid is, i want him in the 3rd

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Lets hope that muscle gain is highly concentrated around the knees.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CGI_Ram said:
Lets hope that muscle gain is highly concentrated around the knees.
the best possible outcome...
train

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Love him too, the third round seems to be the consensus.