Marcell Dareus sets new standard for Aaron Donald, top DTs/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Marcell Dareus sets new standard for Aaron Donald, top DTs
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...us-sets-new-standard-for-aaron-donald-top-dts

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Buffalo Bills announced a lucrative new contract for star defensive tackle Marcell Dareus on Thursday morning.

The deal probably didn't raise much interest in St. Louis, but for those who want to look way into the future, maybe it should. That's because Dareus set the bar even higher for defensive tackles.

According to the report from ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak and NFL insider Adam Schefter, Dareus' deal is a six-year extension that locks him up for the next seven years for a total of $108 million. More impressive, Dareus is set to get $60 million in guaranteed money, which is the highest guaranteed total for a non-quarterback in league history.

While Dareus' annual salary doesn't match the deal the Miami Dolphins gave to Ndamukong Suh, the guarantee comes in slightly ahead. Rodak wrote in a separate piece that the deal is fair for both sides but also indicative of the growing price for top defensive linemen.

So where do the Rams fit in all this? Well, nowhere at the moment. But in two or three years when they decide to negotiate defensive tackle Aaron Donald's second contract, it's fair to say Dareus' deal still will stand among the richest given to a defensive tackle. Dareus was the only tackle in the league to post more sacks than Donald's nine a year ago, though Donald started only 12 games.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if Donald outperformed Dareus moving forward, which could mean even further riches when the time comes. Donald is only entering his second season so this is far from a pressing issue, and he'll have to continue to perform but if he stays on his current track, it's entirely possible he will meet or exceed what Dareus got from the Bills.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Thursday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened the day with Grantland's look at the Rams entering the season. ... The Rams are looking at changing up their practice schedule in 2015. ... The Rams are set to unveil a new-look running game with new outside zone concepts. ... The Rams named their five captains for the season.

Elsewhere:

Adam Caplan examines coaches on the hot seat entering the season.

Trent Dilfer breaks down the Nick Foles-Sam Bradford trade and what it might mean for both sides.

The NFL Live crew looks at the Rams-Seahawks opening week matchup.

At 101sports.com, Bernie Miklasz writes that the Rams will be young again in 2015.

At stltoday.com, Jim Thomas offers his game-by-game predictions for the Rams.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I'm honestly scared to think about the amount were gonna have to pay after watching him single-handedly force the Colts to punt, dudes ceiling reaches beyond the heavens.

Ram65

Legend
Demoff and the Rams have learned to sharpen the cap pencils very well. The money keeps going up as the league keeps making more and more money. Donald will get paid his worth as a Ram. Rams player management has to find "cheaper" talent in later rounds, UDFA, under every rock, nook and cranny. Looks like some young "cheaper" DT are on the PS.(y):)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have to really hope the offense is fixed....if our defense plays to it's potential, we won't possibly be able to afford everyone, and we will have to start investing draft capital in our defense to bring in replacements. By the time we have to pay Donald, I'd guess that only he, Brockers and Quinn will be remaining from our current Dlinemen.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Donald becomes DT of the Year, which I believe he could! Maybe it would be best to re-do his contract, after this year, and try and save some money!!:D:ROFLMAO:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
How soon people forget what Donald did last season. Yes folks have short memories and YES Aaron must continue to get better and continue his domminance. That part just gives me CHILLS to realize how much better Aaron Donald WILL & CAN get when sharpens his tools and yes even AD will have the game slow down until he will be like he was at Pittsburgh University A MAN AMOUNG CHILDREN. That time is coming again with the level of DOMINANCE that is coming.

Its gonna be just like the movie THE MATRIX finally when things slowed down for Neo and he destroyed Mr. Smith. Its worth the price of addmission. We need to keep studs surrounding him to make him unblockable or his teammate next to him should have a VERY easy path to destroy our opponents offense. I'm excited and know Demetroff will spread the money around as the cap goes up each year. I just want our guys HEALTHY and NO INJURIES!!!(y)