Manziel Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree 100% Its the "Planned Starter" that a non starter for me. I have some serious heartburn with paying RS approx 12 million for the 16/17 seasons to back up our OG positions when the Rams have 3 known starting OG's (Brown-Reynolds-Wichmann) under contract. The only way I would consider RS remaining on this roster @ his contractual price is IF he can be heavily involved in the cure of the OLT post with the other 3 prospects(Robinson-Battle-Williams).

Wichmann has struggled a lot. Reynolds is a good utility OL but I'd feel much better about Rodger in that role...plus, unlike Reynolds, Saffold can play LT.

Keeping him for next year doesn't mean keeping him in 2017. And if we cut him this off-season, he is on the books for $3 million in 2016 anyways.(so we only save $3 million in 2016 by cutting him)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wichmann has struggled a lot. Reynolds is a good utility OL but I'd feel much better about Rodger in that role...plus, unlike Reynolds, Saffold can play LT.

Keeping him for next year doesn't mean keeping him in 2017. And if we cut him this off-season, he is on the books for $3 million in 2016 anyways.(so we only save $3 million in 2016 by cutting him)
When we picture Saffold now in this conversation is it the late 2013 season version starting @ ORG...or is it the wear & tears since that time where he underwent two 2015 reconstructive shoulder surgeries on both shoulders & where he is still undergoing rehabbing events past the free agency period in March 2016. I wonder how much power & strength & muscle mass has been lost after those events? How well will he be & how much could the Rams depend on him to be able to play in Training Camp? Paying a lot of cap $$$ for a player with so many big questions hanging around his neck.

As for current starting OG Cody Wichmann struggles.....the only issues I see is a lack of power & strength in his game. Those issues should fade as he goes through a full off season of strength conditioning and he fills out that extra large frame (near 6-6 320 pounds)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing magical about the Rams signing Chase Daniel in FA and drafting one of the top 5 QBs in this draft. It's both feasible and realistic. Frankly, it's pretty hypocritical for you to talk down to me about not being realistic when you have us trading for Johnny Manziel and Josh Gordon.

Interesting since i've felt the same attitude coming from you & others. When I talk about realistic, it's in terms of Fisher righting the ship based on his contract ending and us expecting his moving forward to not reflect a man trying to save his job. I do realize you have more recently created a thread since my Dec.3 thread came out about Manziel/Gordon, to emphasize the team keeping Fisher, and while I maintain an unfavorable view of Kaep as you do Manziel, and in no way believe Scooby Wright falls to the 4'th round should he be declared healthy, it's important for me to examine and appreciate all efforts made to improve the team, and introduce new options. So often people react to others mocks as a form of competition rather than a simple matter of current opinion, especially since we learn new information on potential players on a near daily basis.

Just curious though, has Fisher shown an interest in Kaep/Daniel, as i'm unaware on this ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting since i've felt the same attitude coming from you & others. When I talk about realistic, it's in terms of Fisher righting the ship based on his contract ending and us expecting his moving forward to not reflect a man trying to save his job. I do realize you have more recently created a thread since my Dec.3 thread came out about Manziel/Gordon, to emphasize the team keeping Fisher, and while I maintain an unfavorable view of Kaep as you do Manziel, and in no way believe Scooby Wright falls to the 4'th round should he be declared healthy, it's important for me to examine and appreciate all efforts made to improve the team, and introduce new options. So often people react to others mocks as a form of competition rather than a simple matter of current opinion, especially since we learn new information on potential players on a near daily basis.

I don't react to anyone's mock as a form of competition. I read it. And then I give critiques on what I see. I expect everyone else does the same on my mocks. People with differing opinions express them. Sometimes, it's helpful. Sometimes, it's simply a difference of opinion that won't be resolved.(like differing opinions on Manziel)

I think most people treat mocks as the mocker's opinion on what the Rams SHOULD do. Because that's how most of us mock. If you try to do mocks on what you EXPECT the Rams to do rather than what you think the Rams should do...well, people are criticizing because they don't like that specific direction...not because it's impossible it happens that way.

None of us care if you get it right. We care more about whether we think it's a positive direction for the team. You could put Christian Hackenberg as the Rams first round pick in your mock and I'd criticize the hell out of it...and I'd still stand by my criticism even if the Rams draft Hackenberg. Yea, you mocked it correctly but it would be a disastrous move.

I give my opinion on how I want things done (usually). Not on how I expect them to happen. Sometimes, the stars align and the Rams draft guys I had mocked to them...but I never make my mocks expecting that to happen.

Just curious though, has Fisher shown an interest in Kaep/Daniel, as i'm unaware on this ?

I have no idea. It's not like there's been an opportunity for it to happen, though.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When we picture Saffold now in this conversation is it the late 2013 season version starting @ ORG...or is it the wear & tears since that time where he underwent two 2015 reconstructive shoulder surgeries on both shoulders & where he is still undergoing rehabbing events past the free agency period in March 2016. I wonder how much power & strength & muscle mass has been lost after those events? How well will he be & how much could the Rams depend on him to be able to play in Training Camp? Paying a lot of cap $$$ for a player with so many big questions hanging around his neck.

As for current starting OG Cody Wichmann struggles.....the only issues I see is a lack of power & strength in his game. Those issues should fade as he goes through a full off season of strength conditioning and he fills out that extra large frame (near 6-6 320 pounds)

There will always be information that we aren't privy to, so we risk making errors in judgement and statement in accordance to what is known, ... until we learn that Saffold is no longer viable as a player, opinions are given based on the facts as we currently know them. True enough that the Rams could look at Saffold much like they did with Jake Long last year, but it's still hard to imagine the Rams going forward with only Reynolds as the wily versatile vet.
Wichmann may or may not develop into a true starting OG, but it may be premature to cast that as anything other than hopeful at this time. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There will always be information that we aren't privy to, so we risk making errors in judgement and statement in accordance to what is known, ... until we learn that Saffold is no longer viable as a player, opinions are given based on the facts as we currently know them. True enough that the Rams could look at Saffold much like they did with Jake Long last year, but it's still hard to imagine the Rams going forward with only Reynolds as the wily versatile vet.
Wichmann may or may not develop into a true starting OG, but it may be premature to cast that as anything other than hopeful at this time. jmo.

True enough but naming me a OLer with a more server injury history than Rodger Saffold will take you some time.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Those seeking a 2016 Franchise type QB may not be pleased, as we've now finished the season out of the running for an elite available talent. Instead, we opt to trade a conditional 2017 (3'rd round) pick & Kenny Britt for QB Johnny Manziel and the rights to RFA WR Josh Gordon, … if necessary, looking towards 2017 for our QB of the future while addressing several important depth issues for now. This off-season also brings on a blood-letting, as several popular & well known veterans are shown the door, thru trades and outright CAP cutting. It appears Fisher will be returning, so he'll need to shake things up if he hopes to renew his contract following the 2016 season. These cuts allow for re-signing our own most important soon to become free agents while CAP savings also create room for a few outside free agent acquisitions. While I personally prefer moving GRob to LG and seeking a quality new LT, Fisher won't be making this move for 2016, doubt he unloads Saffold either. 2016 will also see a full blown 3 man competition for starting QB. jmo.

Trades :

We acquire Cleveland's Johhny Manziel & Josh Gordon for a 2017 conditional 3'rd round pick and Kenney Britt.

The Rams trade Chris Long to Carolina for a 4'th round pick.

The Rams trade down about 10 - 12 slots in the 1'st round to acquire a third 2'nd round pick.

The Rams trade their 6'th round pick to move up some in the 3'rd round.

2016 Draft :

1) DE - Emmanuel Ogbah, OkSt
2a) MLB - Scooby Wright, Az
2b) TE - Hunter Henry, Ark
2c) C - Nick Martin, ND
3) WR - De'Runnya Wilson, Ms.St.
4a) DE - Anthony Zettel, PennSt
4b) QB - Nate Sudfeld, Ind.
5) OT - Isaiah Battle, Sup.Draft
6) Traded to move higher in Round 3
7) Traded to Houston for Case Keenum

Free Agent Acquisitions :

WR - Reuben Randle or Alshon Jeffery
FS - Tashaun Gipson

Lost to Free Agency :

DE - William Hayes
FS - Rodney McLeod
C - Tim Barnes
DT - Nick Fairley
WR - Brian Quick, Wes Welker

CAP Casualty or Traded :

Kenney Britt
Jared Cook
James Laurinaitis
Chris Long
Nick Foles

Retired :

Stedman Bailey

Re-signed :

Jenkins (Franchised)
Tru
Barron
Harkey
B.Cunningham
J.Cunningham
Reynolds
Davis
Sims
Zuerlein

2016 O-Line :

LT - GRob
LG - Brown
C - Nick Martin (2'nd Round)
RG - Saffold
RT - Havenstein

53 Roster :

Offense :

QB - Manziel, Keenum, Mannion
RB - Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds
TE - Kendricks, Hunter Henry, Harkey, J.Cunningham
WR - Rueben Randle, Josh Gordon, De'Runnya Wilson, Austin, Marquez
OL - Nick Hunter, Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Robinson, Reynolds, Donnal, Williams, Rhaney, Battle

Defense :

DE - Emmanuel Ogbah, Anthony Zettel, Quinn, Sims
DT - Donald, Brockers, Worthington (or Trinca-Passet), Westbrooks
LB - Scooby Wright, Ogletree, Akers, Hager, Bates
CB - Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Roberson, Joyner
S - Tashaun Gipson, McDonald, Barron, Alexander, Davis

Special Teams :

Hekker, Zuerlein, McQuaid

Practice Squad :

QB - Nate Sudfeld
DT - Trinca-Passet (or Worthington)
OG - Wichmann
DE - Matt Longacre
WR - Isiah Ferguson
RB - Malcolm Brown
Nice effort. Always interesting to get different takes.
At a glance...
What i like:
-You kept the secondary intact
-You're taking a flyer on Josh Gordon
-You're addressing the MLB
-You didn't tinker too much with the OLine(continuity)

What i don't like:
-re-signing Zuerlein
-Manziel in our locker room
-Losing BOTH Chris Long and Willy Hayes. One needs to remain and i'll take Hayes(veteran leadership + production)