Manziel Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Those seeking a 2016 Franchise type QB may not be pleased, as we've now finished the season out of the running for an elite available talent. Instead, we opt to trade a conditional 2017 (3'rd round) pick & Kenny Britt for QB Johnny Manziel and the rights to RFA WR Josh Gordon, … if necessary, looking towards 2017 for our QB of the future while addressing several important depth issues for now. This off-season also brings on a blood-letting, as several popular & well known veterans are shown the door, thru trades and outright CAP cutting. It appears Fisher will be returning, so he'll need to shake things up if he hopes to renew his contract following the 2016 season. These cuts allow for re-signing our own most important soon to become free agents while CAP savings also create room for a few outside free agent acquisitions. While I personally prefer moving GRob to LG and seeking a quality new LT, Fisher won't be making this move for 2016, doubt he unloads Saffold either. 2016 will also see a full blown 3 man competition for starting QB. jmo.

Trades :

We acquire Cleveland's Johhny Manziel & Josh Gordon for a 2017 conditional 3'rd round pick and Kenney Britt.

The Rams trade Chris Long to Carolina for a 4'th round pick.

The Rams trade down about 10 - 12 slots in the 1'st round to acquire a third 2'nd round pick.

The Rams trade their 6'th round pick to move up some in the 3'rd round.

2016 Draft :

1) DE - Emmanuel Ogbah, OkSt
2a) MLB - Scooby Wright, Az
2b) TE - Hunter Henry, Ark
2c) C - Nick Martin, ND
3) WR - De'Runnya Wilson, Ms.St.
4a) DE - Anthony Zettel, PennSt
4b) QB - Nate Sudfeld, Ind.
5) OT - Isaiah Battle, Sup.Draft
6) Traded to move higher in Round 3
7) Traded to Houston for Case Keenum

Free Agent Acquisitions :

WR - Reuben Randle or Alshon Jeffery
FS - Tashaun Gipson

Lost to Free Agency :

DE - William Hayes
FS - Rodney McLeod
C - Tim Barnes
DT - Nick Fairley
WR - Brian Quick, Wes Welker

CAP Casualty or Traded :

Kenney Britt
Jared Cook
James Laurinaitis
Chris Long
Nick Foles

Retired :

Stedman Bailey

Re-signed :

Jenkins (Franchised)
Tru
Barron
Harkey
B.Cunningham
J.Cunningham
Reynolds
Davis
Sims
Zuerlein

2016 O-Line :

LT - GRob
LG - Brown
C - Nick Martin (2'nd Round)
RG - Saffold
RT - Havenstein

53 Roster :

Offense :

QB - Manziel, Keenum, Mannion
RB - Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds
TE - Kendricks, Hunter Henry, Harkey, J.Cunningham
WR - Rueben Randle, Josh Gordon, De'Runnya Wilson, Austin, Marquez
OL - Nick Hunter, Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Robinson, Reynolds, Donnal, Williams, Rhaney, Battle

Defense :

DE - Emmanuel Ogbah, Anthony Zettel, Quinn, Sims
DT - Donald, Brockers, Worthington (or Trinca-Passet), Westbrooks
LB - Scooby Wright, Ogletree, Akers, Hager, Bates
CB - Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Roberson, Joyner
S - Tashaun Gipson, McDonald, Barron, Alexander, Davis

Special Teams :

Hekker, Zuerlein, McQuaid

Practice Squad :

QB - Nate Sudfeld
DT - Trinca-Passet (or Worthington)
OG - Wichmann
DE - Matt Longacre
WR - Isiah Ferguson
RB - Malcolm Brown

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maybe tell me how you really feel ? :mrburns:

Anyway, this mock is just to tweak all those anti-Manziel comments from the earlier mock. I still take him way before Kaep or RG3, whom I really don't care for.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@Riverumbbq

boy you got trades and deals galore.... I like it...I'ma miss my boy Quick...but I like it....

Thanks, I enjoyed making this mock more than several in the past. The C.Long trade might be a little over the top with his CAP cost, but being one of my favorite Rams players, I was hoping to find him a team where he he might have a shot for a championship ring. I had the same hopes for Steven Jackson at one time. It was also a method for finding that additional 4'th round pick, as I'd really like to bring Nate Sudfeld in as another later round developmental QB. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few issues:
1. We're not getting a 4th for Long. He's struggling to stay healthy, way overpaid, and has 3 sacks over his last 16 games.
2. Manziel is starting for the Browns. If he plays well, they'll hold onto him. Which means he's only available for trade if he plays poorly or gets in trouble again. Why would we want him in either scenario?
3. Josh Gordon isn't a RFA. He's still under contract.(but he can still be traded for)
4. We're going defense with our first 2 picks? That won't go over well here. With Wright's injury, I highly doubt he goes before the 3rd and might be around in the 4th.
5. Alshon Jeffery won't hit FA. Rueben Randle will get overpaid. He's not the type of WR you break the bank for.
6. Keeping Saffold is playing with fire.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A few issues:
1. We're not getting a 4th for Long. He's struggling to stay healthy, way overpaid, and has 3 sacks over his last 16 games.
2. Manziel is starting for the Browns. If he plays well, they'll hold onto him. Which means he's only available for trade if he plays poorly or gets in trouble again. Why would we want him in either scenario?
3. Josh Gordon isn't a RFA. He's still under contract.(but he can still be traded for)
4. We're going defense with our first 2 picks? That won't go over well here. With Wright's injury, I highly doubt he goes before the 3rd and might be around in the 4th.
5. Alshon Jeffery won't hit FA. Rueben Randle will get overpaid. He's not the type of WR you break the bank for.
6. Keeping Saffold is playing with fire.

1) No problem, I already addressed this earlier as the more 'over-the-top' trade option, but either way, CLong would be gone one way or another.
2) I believe Cleveland drafts their QB of the future this next season, and they are currently 'showcasing' him for trade.
3) Like I said, he's included in the trade with Manziel.
4) I don't seek fan approval, just trying to improve the team. I believe you are very wrong about where Wright lands, but his Combine physical should tell the full story. If he checks out as good as new, he could even go in the late 1'st imo.
5) Jeffery may not hit free agency, but as long as he remains unsigned, he's available for a mock. Randle, like many other free agents will possibly be overpaid, but that's the nature of the business. The Rams need receivers, … free agency, trades, and the draft is all we have available to us, if we want to succeed, we play the game of obtaining the best talent better than our opponents.
6) Maybe, but he's versatile when healthy, and the Rams need a veteran on that unit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4) I don't seek fan approval, just trying to improve the team. I believe you are very wrong about where Wright lands, but his Combine physical should tell the full story. If he checks out as good as new, he could even go in the late 1'st imo.

Arizona junior LB Scooby Wright has picked an agent, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, and will announce his intention to declare for the draft after the New Mexico Bowl next Saturday.
"Where does Wright end up?" Pauline mused. "The majority of people tell me Wright is no better than a mid-to-late round prospect, something I totally agree with." Because he missed most of the season with a foot injury and was already going to face questions about his measurables, it was probably best that Wright return to school to try and rehabilitate his draft stock. You can't blame him for jumping, though, especially since he was one of college football's best players as a sophomore. An NFC executive compared Wright to former Dolphins LB Zach Thomas earlier this year.

5) Jeffery may not hit free agency, but as long as he remains unsigned, he's available for a mock. Randle, like many other free agents will possibly be overpaid, but that's the nature of the business. The Rams need receivers, … free agency, trades, and the draft is all we have available to us, if we want to succeed, we play the game of obtaining the best talent better than our opponents.

Yea but it's a cop-out when we know he's going to get franchised. If he doesn't feel free to tell me that you were right. But until then, it's like me having the Rams draft Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch with our mid first round pick. Technically it's possible but it seems highly unlikely at this point.

It might be the nature of the business but it's not the nature of GOOD business. I'm fine with overpaying a guy that has the ability to be great. I accept that nature of the business. But Randle is an average #2 WR. He's not a guy you overpay.

The Rams do need WRs but unless Randle is coming fairly cheap, I think he's the wrong choice. I'd rather go with an older option (Boldin/Washington), the trade route (Wheaton/Garcon), or go after a possible cap casualty (Garcon).

I agree the Rams need to go out and grab a veteran WR or two before the draft...don't agree that Randle is a good choice. But again, if we can get him relatively cheap...go right ahead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gordon is garbage, I would be very upset if the Rams traded anything meaningful for him. There are WRs that can help a team in every draft that don't have a history of suspensions and stupidity.

But I would be OK with the Rams trading for Manziel. The key is getting him for cheap, which might be possible. Then the Rams can go into camp with 4 guys competing: Keenum, Draftee, Mannion, Manziel. Manziel would need to beat out Keenum for the "keep the spot warm for the rookie" role. Competition is good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watched Manziel against Seattle. Same guy he's always been. Not interested. It's not that he's incompetent...it's that he has glaring flaws and NFL DCs are only going to get better and better at exposing them. I don't trust him to make the adjustments he has to make. Would rather sign Chase Daniel as a vet in FA and draft a rookie.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why would you let Rodney McLeod walk???

Wichman on practice squad ???

NOOOOOO

McLeod walks because Gipson is an upgrade imo.

Wichman has been playing better recently, would really like to see him get some off/pre-season snaps at Center as well, then would probably substitute him for either Rhaney or Donnal on P.S.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Watched Manziel against Seattle. Same guy he's always been. Not interested. It's not that he's incompetent...it's that he has glaring flaws and NFL DCs are only going to get better and better at exposing them. I don't trust him to make the adjustments he has to make. Would rather sign Chase Daniel as a vet in FA and draft a rookie.

Seattle's defense has a habit of making other NFL teams offenses look bad, they will probably be doing the same to us next week. The Browns don't have a running game, their QB's are always under pressure. One QB Fisher has shown an appreciation for is Johnny Manziel, so if he becomes available thru trade, and the price is right, it doesn't matter whet either one of us thinks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seattle's defense has a habit of making other NFL teams offenses look bad, they will probably be doing the same to us next week. The Browns don't have a running game, their QB's are always under pressure. One QB Fisher has shown an appreciation for is Johnny Manziel, so if he becomes available thru trade, and the price is right, it doesn't matter whet either one of us thinks.

I didn't watch the game to see what Seattle's defense or Cleveland's offense can do. I watched the game to see how much Manziel has improved. Seattle's defense didn't make Manziel throw a number of his passes without setting his feet causing his accuracy to be incredibly inconsistent. Seattle's defense didn't make Manziel's first instinct when they blitzed to be to run backwards and try to break contain. Seattle's defense didn't make Manziel not throw to multiple open WRs/TEs on short, quick timing patterns because he was intent on running around and creating big plays.

The kid didn't play terribly in the game. He looked pretty solid in the first half, actually. But the flaws in his game are there and as glaring as ever. I get that people like his "uniqueness" but I have problems believing in QBs that rely on that...especially when that QB has glaring mechanical flaws.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I didn't watch the game to see what Seattle's defense or Cleveland's offense can do. I watched the game to see how much Manziel has improved. Seattle's defense didn't make Manziel throw a number of his passes without setting his feet causing his accuracy to be incredibly inconsistent. Seattle's defense didn't make Manziel's first instinct when they blitzed to be to run backwards and try to break contain. Seattle's defense didn't make Manziel not throw to multiple open WRs/TEs on short, quick timing patterns because he was intent on running around and creating big plays.

The kid didn't play terribly in the game. He looked pretty solid in the first half, actually. But the flaws in his game are there and as glaring as ever. I get that people like his "uniqueness" but I have problems believing in QBs that rely on that...especially when that QB has glaring mechanical flaws.

While you look for magic, some must deal in reality. Fisher is in a QB bind next season, and I imagine he likes his job. Fisher likes Johnny Manziel, doesn't matter what we think. Fisher's choices are slim, give up the farm for a rookie starter who would be better off developing from the bench, or find thru trade or free agency a QB of his liking, even if temporary. Manziel may not be the long-term answer, but his CAP would be next to nothing and he allows the Rams to use our higher draft picks for those depth positions which are currently in much need of improvement. This isn't about the long-term, it's about maximizing wins now so Fisher keeps his job, whether you want him to or not. Coaches who find themselves in this position react differently than those newer guys with time to build or re-build. If Fisher goes into 2016 with a starting rookie QB, he's already a lame duck, … starting either Foles or Keenum and he is likely still a lame duck. I mention Manziel because he could be a successful transitional QB who Fisher has expressed an interest, and he might come fairly cheap. Even with a year under its belt, our OL will still be developing next season, more so if we were to add a new rookie Center. Manziel can move out of the pocket better than anything we currently have, and with Gurley & Austin out of the backfield, presents an additional option. Manziel, a somewhat better OL and a couple quality veteran WR's, our offense becomes very unpredictable to the opposition. At worst, he creates a mega-competion with Keenum & Mannion, and we can still bring in an additional later round developmental QB, or look for our 'franchise' QB in 2017 with an already better cast as we've used our 2016 draft to improve depth. It's about Fisher, not us fans. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Any 2016 Ram plan that states its going to pay Rodger Saffold over 5 million as his contract demands to be one of our starting OG in 2016:eek::thinking:......that plan goes :rant:into the shredder:death:!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While you look for magic, some must deal in reality.

Nothing magical about the Rams signing Chase Daniel in FA and drafting one of the top 5 QBs in this draft. It's both feasible and realistic. Frankly, it's pretty hypocritical for you to talk down to me about not being realistic when you have us trading for Johnny Manziel and Josh Gordon.

We all want what's best for the Rams. These mocks give us a chance to give our opinion on what should be done. I don't care about being "realistic." I'm going to give my opinion because that's what I care about. I'm not going to try and guess what Fisher will do. Because if I did, I'd have us overpaying an OL that will inevitably play terribly for us then drafting a DL in Round 1, reaching for a WR and drafting a (quality) CB in Round 2, and selecting a HB in Round 3. And I think all of us would be unhappy if that went down.

I don't want the Rams trading for Manziel. Have given a pretty thorough explanation of why.

Although, I do think it's worth mentioning that a poster on another board told me the exact same thing a couple years ago that you just did when I was pounding the table for Aaron Donald. Sometimes, fantasy and reality end up being one and the same.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any 2016 Ram plan that states its going to pay Rodger Saffold over 5 million as his contract demands to be one of our starting OG in 2016:eek::thinking:......that plan goes :rant:into the shredder:death:!

Eh, I think it's a mistake to count on Saffold to be a starter next year. But if they want to keep him as the 6th OL (since he can play 4 positions at an acceptable level), I might be okay with it. We only save $3 million by cutting him. It's arguable that he's worth the $3 million we save as a 6th OL (and swing OT).

But yea, I'm not counting on him to start. And I have no issue with him being cut.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Eh, I think it's a mistake to count on Saffold to be a starter next year. But if they want to keep him as the 6th OL (since he can play 4 positions at an acceptable level), I might be okay with it. We only save $3 million by cutting him. It's arguable that he's worth the $3 million we save as a 6th OL (and swing OT).

But yea, I'm not counting on him to start. And I have no issue with him being cut.

Agree 100% Its the "Planned Starter" that a non starter for me. I have some serious heartburn with paying RS approx 12 million for the 16/17 seasons to back up our OG positions when the Rams have 3 known starting OG's (Brown-Reynolds-Wichmann) under contract. The only way I would consider RS remaining on this roster @ his contractual price is IF he can be heavily involved in the cure of the OLT post with the other 3 prospects(Robinson-Battle-Williams).

Giving Demoff the approx. 12 million to get other HEALTHY UFA starters on this roster would be the best option.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

:yess: If that's your only issue, then I declare this mock a success. :cheers:

Seriously though, the Rams can use a versatile veteran like Saffold considering everyone else is still in development. Ideally we renegotiate his contract based on missed games/health issues. I'd actually prefer him as a back-up, but not while he's being paid as a starter. jmo.