Mannion Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I can see that I'm on tilt here - I can feel it.

But I can't stop typing it.

Not only should Battle get thrown in there, Mannion should start for the rest of the year. Lets find out what - if anything - we have in him.

I keep wanting to wake up and see that its Sunday morning and the 1-0 Rams are getting ready to play the Redskins.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I thought that Fisher actually announced Mannion as the starting QB. You tricked me.

Not sure I disagree though. Let's see if we got anything in the kid I guess, can't be too much worse than Foles I'm sure.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No thanks on Mannion for me. The guy looked raw against 4th stringers and guys who aren't in the league anymore. That's not to say I don't believe he can't become something more, but i'd rather not throw him right out into the fire while we're still in the middle of trying to go for a winning season while he's so raw. Give him the entire season and see what he's got next year.

Watched too many promising, young QBs get their development completely stilted from being thrown into the fire way too soon.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Why would you even consider starting the 3rd string QB, who doesn't even suit up, over your #2 QB? Mannion isn't near ready though I hope he gets there next year.....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Two questions that are imperative in this conversation:

1 - Would starting Mannion materially impact our chances of being a winning team in 2015?
2 - Would starting Mannion negatively impact his chances of developing into a viable starting QB in 2016 and beyond?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
We already have a more veteran option in Case Keenum, so I'm guessing that we would use him instead of Mannion if Foles were benched. And I'm totally cool with that myself.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two questions that are imperative in this conversation:

1 - Would starting Mannion materially impact our chances of being a winning team in 2015?
2 - Would starting Mannion negatively impact his chances of developing into a viable starting QB in 2016 and beyond?

Good questions that need to be asked.

1. Not a huge concern for me. If we aren't making the playoffs, a winning record means very little.
2. If the answer to this is yes - then scrap the idea. But I think its a no. I think QBs need snaps - they need reps - in order to learn. I'd rather get out the rookie jitters now when the games matter less than they will in 2016. Same philosophy with Battle.

The joy of being a fan and not a coach is that I can say these kinds of things - Fisher can't. He has to at least put it out there that he is trying to win each and every game and say that he is going to play the guys who give him the best chance to win.

Stel

Starter
Why would you even consider starting the 3rd string QB, who doesn't even suit up, over your #2 QB? Mannion isn't near ready though I hope he gets there next year.....

Just guessing, but probably because Keenum is a back up and will always be a back up and he wants to see if Mannion has a chance to be a starter before we have to make draft decisions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams are already sending scouts to watch Paxton Lynch's games... If they were being wow'ed by Mannion in practice or led to think he's some sort of answer long term I doubt they'd be looking at guys who will likely go very high in round one.

If they do sit Foles we are going to need to wait and see how Keenum plays before we get to Mannion though. And that is most likely a good thing. I did think Mannion got a raw deal in some ways his senior season in terms of how far his value fell, and he is studious and seemingly dedicated to his craft, but it's probably an enormous stretch to expect him to help us right now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The Rams are already sending scouts to watch Paxton Lynch's games... If they were being wow'ed by Mannion in practice or led to think he's some sort of answer long term I doubt they'd be looking at guys who will likely go very high in round one.

If they do sit Foles we are going to need to wait and see how Keenum plays before we get to Mannion though. And that is most likely a good thing. I did think Mannion got a raw deal in some ways his senior season in terms of how far his value fell, and he is studious and seemingly dedicated to his craft, but it's probably an enormous stretch to expect him to help us right now.

Scouting is about doing your homework - you don't just scout the positions that you think you will need. You don't ignore prospects because you think you have a position locked up halfway thru a season. The Rams are scouting running backs but that doesn't mean that Gurley isn't the answer there.

If you did take that approach, where are you when your guy suffers a career threatening injury in week 17?

Big Willie

Starter
Please, no! I am okay with Keenum, but putting Mannion in says to me that 2015 is over. Sure, Mannion could prove everyone wrong, but is more likely that he will not be good. Start Mannion after week 13, if the playoffs are out of reach.

Schmitzer

UDFA
If not, I want to know, what is Foles showing in practice (or games) that Keenum and Mannion don't?

Or in other words, how bad do Keenum and Manion look in practice?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Scouting is about doing your homework - you don't just scout the positions that you think you will need. You don't ignore prospects because you think you have a position locked up halfway thru a season. The Rams are scouting running backs but that doesn't mean that Gurley isn't the answer there.

If you did take that approach, where are you when your guy suffers a career threatening injury in week 17?

True. However if you look at the Rams representative efforts right now they've been tied to two top QBs. I look at those reports on NFL.com often and they're not all over the games where many of the other positions are positions of strength. Early indicator from where I'm sitting is they're heavily scouting guys at the QB position they would need to move up for.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Please, no! I am okay with Keenum, but putting Mannion in says to me that 2015 is over. Sure, Mannion could prove everyone wrong, but is more likely that he will not be good. Start Mannion after week 13, if the playoffs are out of reach.

I'm trying to think of ways that the Rams still make the playoffs. I know its possible - but take a look at the standings and tell me if you think they are still in reach.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm trying to think of ways that the Rams still make the playoffs. I know its possible - but take a look at the standings and tell me if you think they are still in reach.
They're still in reach. We can still win 10 games. Not if we play like we played yesterday - hell, we'll lose out playing like that - but it's always possible until you're mathematically eliminated.

RobertWinn

UDFA
Name
David
I watched Mannion at Oregon State over the years, and there is no way he should be going into a NFL game within the next two seasons. He is so far off from a guy like Foles.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We are 4-5.

@
upload_2015-11-16_15-4-42.png

@
upload_2015-11-16_15-4-42.png
B

vs
-m-0ws7__56x42.png

vs
-m-02c_4__56x42.png

vs
-m-07l24__56x42.png

@
-m-070xg__56x42.png

@
-m-06rny__56x42.png

I know that I'm emotionally compromised right now, but 10-6? And does 10-6 get you to the playoffs this year? Skins, Packers, Bears - all have the tie breaker on us.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
ugh we will be lucky to be 8-8 with the remaining schedule and the way the team is playing.