Mannion Currently #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
You can see the talent Goff has.
He has some great things going, good arm, throws a tight ball....his release is very quick. That is something I LOVE. That (quick release) is something great passer use to beat the passrush. But, he is not that close (from what I can tell) to starting. His drops are inconsistent (although he has already improved), he is tentative at times. All of this is to be expected for a rookie. Almost no rookies thrive year one. Saying I have no doubts about Goffs ability is in no way in contradiction with saying that Keenum is the starter.
Honestly, if the O line and back 7 on D can play well I think this team is going to win with Keenum.
Also, I would be shocked if Mannion was cut or put on practice squad (I am sure he would be picked up I he was....not sure he is even eligible).
Keenum and Goff/Mannion....I feel good about going into week 1 with that group....as long as the O line has improved and the D is tightened up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams could just IR him with turf toe (Mannion) in anticipation of Keenum being gone after this season. Go into 2017 with Goff & Mannion #1 and #2 respectively.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Personally think its all smoke. Means nothing. Best guy will play. Second best guy will be no 2. Right now that's Keenum followed by Goff/Mannion. Mannion may be slightly ahead because of continuity and some of the skills he has. I don't even buy into the media narrative that Goff has struggled this pre-season. He's shown what I expected of him. Decent arm, great touch and feel, cool and composed, but the games a bit fast for him because its early. He's playing better than Mannion played in his rookie pre-season if you ask me, and he's been as good as any rookie in a pre-season I remember. His stat lines don't look great though - because people have dropped balls more than anything. If you look at stat lines in pre-season that's up to you, but it skews how he's grown and performed.

fearsomefour

Legend
The stat line for a QB in preseason may be the most overrated thing around.
Let's say Goff takes over and the team runs twice bringing up a third and 5. On third down he finds a TE for an 8 yards gain and a first down. First down run for 4 yards, second down a in to the WR for 12 yards. On first down a 20 yards run. Two more runs, then on third down, Goff is forced from the pocket and throws it away to avoid a sack or loss of yards....fourth down field goal. So, the O ran 9 plays and moved the ball enough to kick a field goal. Goff was 2/3 for 20 yards on the drive. Looks good.
The stat line looks fine. Except when the coaches look at the film they see on the completion to the TE the deeper route behind the TE was more open for a bigger gain. On the 12 yards completion on the in to the WR, the slot guy on the same side was running uncovered for a big gain. So, in this hypothetical, the fans are two completions out of three attempts. The coaches see a guy who is not seeing the field, locking onto receivers and missing opportunities. They may well think the throw away was his best play on that drive.
My point is we fans are left to look at stat lines. The coaches can see the big picture....the film and the known intent and design of the play.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
large.gif
:LOL::ROFLMAO::rolllaugh::rimshot:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Deja vu. Not even September yet. Lets keep the farfetched predictions on hold until then. Last time this forum did it we didnt do as good as most were preaching it. I plan on not going through this same revolving door over, and over and OVER again.....

Bruce2980

Starter
One brief practice report has changed the game? Not trying to be critical of Goff but just stating facts; I've been to 5 of the practices in Irvine, and to both games at the Colleseum. If the Rams were to play the Seahawks tomorrow, I want Case Keenum starting at QB. Jared Goff is no where near ready to run this offense against a tough opponent. Keenum consistently makes good decisions and protects the ball (rare turnovers).
If the Rams played the Seahawks tomorrow then I'm on acid. Let's not get too far ahead of where we are. Two preseason games, that's all. This Saturday is a big tell. Goff looks much better as he gets further into the games. He has a cool, and calm demeanor, confidence, and he's got a photographic memory, if Gruden is to be believed. Patience, Goff will play this year. As soon as he shows he can read and pick up the blitz then he starts. Week four, or sooner, this is my official prediction, which is absolutely meaningless, unless it happens lol.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
Not a chance, Mannion can go to PS if they want to keep 2 QB's, which I actually think is probable.
I'm not talking about the final cuts. I saying by the time the season is over Keenum could be gone leaving Mannion and Goff.

Also the Rams will go into the season with 3 QBs on the roster...PUT THAT DOWN!