Manning's postseason performances

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I know many will once again jump on Manning and his lack of coming up big in big games. However, I look at it a bit differently. I think what his career has illustrated is even a great QB will have a tough time winning a championship against a great defense if his team relies almost soley on that one player.

So in a sense it is almost like he becomes a victim if his own success. I mean he is so dominant that his team becomes so dependant on just that one player and one facet of the team that a great defense can focus and break down that one dimensional offense. Look at Brady, with backs like Corey Dillon and an offensive philosophy that still relied on a running game to carry part of the load, he won 3 championships, barely that is by 3 points each, but he won. Since they have begun to become so reliant on him in recent years, he would put up big numbers, but he to has failed to close the deal against SB defenses who focused almost soley on stopping his passing attack. In fact I think NE did a much better job this year in being more balanced because they had to and as a result they overachieved.

One might say Montana won regularly in the post season, but look at his SB winning teams. They were great running teams. I remember in 89' they led the league in rushing and as a result they were almost impossible to stop.

Look at Elway, when his team relied exclusively on him they were not even competitive in the SBs he played in. When they became balanced with Terrell Davis they we in back to back with an aging Elway.

So just leaving a team's own defense out of it, to me it is so obvious that to win a big game like a SB, you have to be balanced on offense. Even the Greatest Show on Turf, almost came up short due to thier inability to be balanced in both of their SB appearances.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, it was surprising how ineffective their run game was in this game, or that they never even tried to get it going early. Seadderall set out to take away the passing game, and they sure did. Whereas Seadderall set out to get the ground game going to set up the pass, and that balance kept Denver's defense guessing. I guess this was destined to happen since Denver gives up 25 points a game anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea. Today was just miserable to watch. Denver couldn't get the run game going, their OL couldn't give Manning time in the pocket and the defense, while not as awful as the score indicates, could not get off the field on 3rd down. It's a team game and everybody on that team failed today including Manning. But people often want to give the QB the lionshare of the credit and blame.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This was one of the few games where Denver's OL just looked bad. I've never seen Peyton go for so many short crossing routes. The one area where WE have struggled defending is against screens. Seattle just shut every one of those down and it's usually Denver's strength. I hate Seattle but their D was pretty damn impressive tonight.

fearsomefour

Legend
Manning has never dealt with pressure from a rush well. As soon as he has to move laterally he is done. Today was a another example. He didnt even have to get sacked.
He is an all time great, but, both of Denvers' weaknesses showed up today. Their tackling has been bad most of the season and Peyton usually does not deal with a rush well.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Manning was missing open receivers. And he has some great ones. There is no excuse for only scoring 8 pts. He looked off from the start.

I firmly believe that when things get tight, he gets tighter. He's a great QB, but looked terrible yesterday. He couldn't move the ball at all, just terrible.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Denver clearly felt pressure. Being favored, trying to shore up Manning's legacy, whatever it was they didn't play up to what they're capable of. It was one of those "off" games that they have at the worst possible time.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think this had less to do with Peyton Manning and more to do with the fact that the Broncos are outscored 233-38 while wearing orange in the Superbowl. Major oversight on Denver's behalf! :sick:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have nothing against Elway but he always gets the credit for dragging bad teams to the SB and that's just not the case. Remember the defense nicknamed the Orange Crush? Remember his WRs the Three Amigos?

I just wanted to say that because for the last few weeks with Denver in play I heard a lot about Elway being superman and how he willed teams to the playoffs and I kept thinking about how great his receivers were and how fantastic some of the defenses he had backing him actually were.

You could easily make the argument that he had pretty complete teams around him and failed on the big stage because he laid a couple of eggs in the losses.

Just sayin'........

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Seattle's defense came at them early. Heck most of the early scores were generated from Seattle's defense and it dictated the flow of the game into a perpetual downward spiral for the Broncos.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have nothing against Elway but he always gets the credit for dragging bad teams to the SB and that's just not the case. Remember the defense nicknamed the Orange Crush? Remember his WRs the Three Amigos?

I just wanted to say that because for the last few weeks with Denver in play I heard a lot about Elway being superman and how he willed teams to the playoffs and I kept thinking about how great his receivers were and how fantastic some of the defenses he had backing him actually were.

You could easily make the argument that he had pretty complete teams around him and failed on the big stage because he laid a couple of eggs in the losses.

Just sayin'........

I think The Orange Crush wsd more the 77 team led by Alzado and Gradishar. Not saying they did not have quality defenses, but those teams were more finese oriented. Heck the entire AFC in 80's was finese. That is why the NFC dominated the SB in the 80's. I remember Tom Jackson talking about the Redskin Bronco SB. He had retired I believe, but he was at the game and when he saw both teams enter the field he realized how much bigger the Skins were and why Denver was going to have problems.

And back to Elway....still offensively he never had a great back and certainly not a quality big back or a big physical OL in front of him. Reaves put that entire offense on his shoulders despite never having a pro bowl WR and mostly a bunch of little guys in the WR corp. So again I think history has proven one dimmensional offenses don't win SBs, even if the QB is named Manning, Brady, Kelly, or Elway.

Btw, I think we all would agree if the QBs switched teams last night Seattle still wins as long as they stay with their same offensive philosophy and dont put everything on the QB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Denver clearly felt pressure. Being favored, trying to shore up Manning's legacy, whatever it was they didn't play up to what they're capable of. It was one of those "off" games that they have at the worst possible time.

I think they were just physically overmatched, plain and simple. Couple that with having that defense only having to focus on basically one facet of the Denver offense, and Denver was cooked.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think they were just physically overmatched, plain and simple. Couple that with having that defense only having to focus on basically one facet of the Denver offense, and Denver was cooked.
Hey Philly,good to see ya.
I agree the d-line kicked the Denver o lines ass ,Manning doesn't take sacks, so the lack of sacks was deceiving ,Manning was more hurried than he'd been all year which IMO was the story of the game.
Denver needs to work harder on their running game so they can make d-lines honor it cuz real elite defenses are gonna get there and hurry tip and block throws ,it's apparent being one dimensional against top five defenses is no formula for success

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
People will spew garbage about Manning's legacy, "only winning 1 of 3" Superbowls... Blah, blah, blah.

It's a team sport.

Anyone seriously think Wilson is better than Manning?

I didn't think so.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Peyton Manning is the Kobe Bryant of of the NFL. Yes Kobe/Peyton are top 10 players ever and one can argue for being the goat at their respective positions but its somewhat clear that Jordan/Montana were are another level. And yes I am a die hard Kobe fan...lol