Manning almost a Titan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...tty-close-to-signing-with-the-titans-in-2012/

It's easy to forget that Peyton Manning was a free agent following a 2011 season in which he didn't play one snap while he recovered from neck surgeries. And despite questions about what type of player he'd be after the procedures, there was plenty of interest in the future Hall of Fame quarterback. Ultimately, he ended up in Denver, where he led the Broncos to two Super Bowl appearances, including a title three months ago.

But it almost didn't happen.

"I was pretty close" to signing with the Titans, Manning told the Tennessean'sDave Ammenheuser on Thursday.

It's no surprise that the Titans were in the mix; Manning starred at the University of Tennessee, and then-Titans owner Bud Adams was so desperate to land the franchise quarterback that he offered Manning a lifetime contract.

"[Manning] is the man I want. Period," Adams said in March 2012. "And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans, and I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen."

And it didn't.

"I was hoping we would win out," Adams said after losing out to the Broncos, via NFL.com. "I thought we'd be ahead of Denver. I thought he'd want to stay in Tennessee."

peyton-manning-almost-titans-qb.jpg

Would Peyton Manning have had the same success in Tennessee? USATSI
A few months later, a report emerged that Adams was willing to pay Manning $25 million a year, which was nearly $6 million more than the Broncos gave Manning in 2012. There was another report that Adams, who died in October 2013 at the age of 90, fired team executive Mike Reinfeldt after the 2012 season for primarily one reason: failing to deliver Peyton Manning.

"Adams felt like Reinfeldt didn't act fast enough -- or at all -- when the owner told him he wanted the Titans in the Peyton Manning chase last spring," the Tennessean's Jim Wyatt wrote at the time. "And Adams has held it against Reinfeldt ever since."

If you're looking for a silver lining, Tennessee's current quarterback situationis much better than Denver's. Plus, there's no guarantee Manning would've replicated his success with the inferior Titans roster.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I thought so at the time and I was proven right that we should have done anything to sign him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One thing that stands out for me when I think of the Manning free agency period is Pete Carroll and John Schneider with their clown show. After Manning told them that he wanted nothing to do with playing in Seattle they thought they could convince him otherwise. He was working out for another team, San Fran maybe, and Schneider and Carroll decided to jump on the plane and fly there. They sat in the car watching Peyton for a bit and then got out and tried to go over to him and make their sales pitch. Manning told them to get out.

It seemed like such a desperate and corny thing to do. Pete believing he is a master motivator thought he could change Mannings mind if he just had a chance to talk to him, as if Peyton was some young guy that could be swayed by Pete's motivational bullshit. And, that is what it is. I have seen videos of him speaking to groups and it is that same rah rah high energy cheerleader stuff he does on the sidelines.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I thought so at the time and I was proven right that we should have done anything to sign him.
Didn't see him going to the nfc anyways, I think him and eli liked the possibility of a manning bowl.