Management changes show the NFL's heightened interest in Los Angeles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
A reshuffling of management at NFL headquarters is an indication of the league’s intensified interest in filling the vacant Los Angeles market.

According to a memo obtained Tuesday by The Times, NFL Executive Vice President Eric Grubman has been assigned to “stadium development, the return of a team presence to the Los Angeles area, the league’s strategic investment fund, and other key strategic initiatives.”

lRelated
SPORTS NOW
ESPN reports on showering habits of Rams' Michael Sam [Video]

SEE ALL RELATED

That represents the first time in more than a decade that such a high-ranking league official has been assigned to the L.A. conundrum, one that began when the Raiders and Rams left the nation’s second-largest market after the 1994 season.

Reached by phone Tuesday, Grubman confirmed the job shift. Asked if L.A. warrants a more sustained focus by the league, he said, “We think it does.”

cComments
  • @rrosencrantzz (z) Then why are the Lakers still here? Talk about a mediocre team!
    CALCHICK
    AT 3:43 PM AUGUST 28, 2014
ADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS

Several factors have contributed to the league’s heightened interest in the market, among them the fact that the St. Louis Rams, Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers have, for the first time simultaneously, year-to-year stadium leases; Rams owner Stan Kroenke has purchased 60 acres of potential stadium land in Inglewood; and the NFL has labor and TV deals that stretch into the horizon.

“The building blocks are there,” Grubman said. “There remain multiple sites available. So the focus is demanded.”

In his previous role, Grubman oversaw business ventures, which included consumer products, and events, among them the Super Bowl and draft.

Also announced in the memo were the enhanced responsibilities of Brian Rolapp, who will take over the league’s consumer products, and the promotion of Chris Halpin to senior vice president of consumer products; the promotion of Mark Waller to executive vice president with his focus exclusively on driving international growth; and the search underway for a new chief marketing officer.

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
In my opinion it is the NFL pushing the subject now and putting on the pressure. Most of us in LA are either still Ram fans Raider Fans and to some degree Charger and niner fans and don't give 2 shakes of the fuck stick about the NFL in LA. We have gotten used to no team and disappointment when it seems that one may be coming. It's the modern era of accessibility and you can watch from anywhere.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
In my opinion it is the NFL pushing the subject now and putting on the pressure. Most of us in LA are either still Ram fans Raider Fans and to some degree Charger and niner fans and don't give 2 shakes of the freak stick about the NFL in LA. We have gotten used to no team and disappointment when it seems that one may be coming. It's the modern era of accessibility and you can watch from anywhere.
Even with Sunday ticket I've been blacked out on Rams games because I live TOO CLOSE ,so as far as accessibility of viewing your right you are as well off or better.
NOW the local CBS station isn't being carried on Direct TV and I'm wondering how that's going to effect my Sunday Ticket

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
NOW the local CBS station isn't being carried on Direct TV
Where do you live Thor it makes no sense that the local Cbs station isn't your default station unless you are in a small city and they are differing to the nearest metropolis.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Where do you live Thor it makes no sense that the local Cbs station isn't your default station unless you are in a small city and they are differing to the nearest metropolis.
Just outside Cape Girardeau,MO the blackout reaches like 175 miles and I'm within 120 air miles , I called Direct TV and got a sizeable reduction in my bill,so I'm OK with it for now .
I think the local station is trying to charge Direct TV for the signal and DIrect is telling them they give it away anyway so why should they pay,I agree but still I don't want to have an antena .
I've been with Sunday Ticket from day 1 ,had the 10 ft dish and could pirate a lot of stuff got preseason and regular season feeds before ST existed.
The CBS thing will only effect AFC games at home if they get them