Man am I ever confused about this draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I keep hearing local guys tout Blackmon at #6, and quite frankly almost every mock you see written these days have the Rams taking him there. But. Then I listen to guys like Dave Razzano and Greg Cosell talk about how Blackmon isn't really all that, and he'd be a tremendous reach at #6. And THEN, I listen to Snead and Fisher talk about the draft, and they almost always deflect questions about receivers - oftentimes saying there are plenty of receivers in this draft.

I mean, I've had this feeling for a while that they're not going to take a receiver at #6, but then I wonder how many consecutive YEARS this Franchise can neglect the position and still continue to expect production out of the offense. I guess my only hope is that they REALLY know what they're doing when it comes to evaluating receivers, and they get a good one in the second round. But then again, they're working with the previous regime's scouting staff too. How much input are they really going to take from guys they didn't themselves put in place?

I'm so confused, but pretty excited too. Tomorrow baby!!!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Making your brain hurt?

I bet if you hit 3 microdots by the time that clock reached 0 you'd have it all figured out.

If not, your computer would melt into a palm sized beautiful hula dancer wearing only a Rams helmet. Either way it's a win win.

I'll be checking in here now and then for the results. Good luck.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm prepared for anything. But unlike previous drafts, this time I'm not nervous because I have the confidence that this FO actually knows what it is doing. In short, I dont expect us taking a WR in the 1st round, but i do expect us to select at least one quality wide-out in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

superfan24

Starter
Same no idea where this draft is going, but that's not a bad thing. Just hoping there's not a new TE on the team tomorrow night.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
superfan24 said:
Same no idea where this draft is going, but that's not a bad thing. Just hoping there's not a new TE on the team tomorrow night.
I will shut this fucking website DOWN if that happens. :fk:

boondock

UDFA
Yeah, also feeling confused, excited, slightly worried, but confident they will do good things at the same time. Ready for tomorrow!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What ever player we take it will make the Rams a stronger team and I will support who ever it is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yamahopper said:
What ever player we take it will make the Rams a stronger team and I will support who ever it is.
Fleener?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:
Yamahopper said:
Fleener?

Prefer it in a trade down but yeah I could deal with it. Owns the intermediate routes and is one of the best deep threats in the draft if they get him alone on a safety.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Well....me,myself,and I are all sold on Blackmon. It's not a reactive join the masses decision as if he declared last year I expected him to slip to us @ #14...esp after Julio Jones caused the Falcons entire staff pre-ejaculated convulsions.
However JB decided to stay and had a stellar junior campaign esp in the Fiesta Bowl when it all counts. I also understand the Fisher philosophy toward DT or OT as well...however Snead did just so happen arrive to us from the Falcons as well.
I just cannot see JB not in horns.
Instead if forking over the bank for Julio Jones we ended up with Robert Quinn and the Ramsom from the Skins AND Blackmon as well...no fuckin way! :cheese:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll be happy that all of the guessing will finally be over.

Mocks and crystal balls should now be put back in the attic. Thank God!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Always a ton of intrigue the night before. Still waiting to hear that the Vikes screw the pooch and let Kalil slide to the Rams. Or some foolish team wants to leapfrog the Dolphins so they've moved up for Tannehill letting a player slide to us.
I'm pretty open to whatever happens for this team. Not sure that I can be super excited about a DT (since it'd likely be Cox and he doesn't seem to fit what they're missing), but it's still a fun night made for drinking beer, grilling meat and reinvigorating optimism for a new year of football.

Anonymous

X said:
I keep hearing local guys tout Blackmon at #6, and quite frankly almost every mock you see written these days have the Rams taking him there. But. Then I listen to guys like Dave Razzano and Greg Cosell talk about how Blackmon isn't really all that, and he'd be a tremendous reach at #6. And THEN, I listen to Snead and Fisher talk about the draft, and they almost always deflect questions about receivers - oftentimes saying there are plenty of receivers in this draft.

I mean, I've had this feeling for a while that they're not going to take a receiver at #6, but then I wonder how many consecutive YEARS this Franchise can neglect the position and still continue to expect production out of the offense. I guess my only hope is that they REALLY know what they're doing when it comes to evaluating receivers, and they get a good one in the second round. But then again, they're working with the previous regime's scouting staff too. How much input are they really going to take from guys they didn't themselves put in place?

I'm so confused, but pretty excited too. Tomorrow baby!!!

My take is that the previous scouting staff was fine. And in fact, that the Rams personnel people in general (college and pro combined) did a better job of finding WRs than they get credit for.

Bear in mind that the success rate for receivers drafted after the 2nd round is about 14%. And that's not even to be a starter--that's to be a contributor.

So......

2009:
Foster. 5th round. Bust.
Gibson. Player for player trade. Serviceable 4th WR type.
Amendola. PS raid. Good slot receiver. Injured.
Robinson. Trade, 6th for 7th round swap. Injured for 2 solid seasons. Came through with Dallas.
2010:
Clayton. Low pick trade. A score. Injured.
Gilyard. 4th round. Bust.
2011:
Pettis. 3rd round. Rookie yips. Too soon to say.
Salas. 4th round. Rookie, but made a splash. Promising 2nd/3rd WR type.
Lloyd. 5th round pick. Good pick up.

The 5 best were Robinson, Clayton, Amendola, Salas, and Lloyd. 4 of those were injured.

That's why it seems so bleak--4 good choices were injured.

So their record is both very good and very unlucky--but if it weren't for FOUR (four!) of them getting injured, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Imagine if Robinson and/or Clayton were never injured.....

As for the picks? a 3rd rounder, 2 4th rounders, and a 5th. One of those (Salas) stood out. That's 25%, which is better than the 14% norm. If Pettis comes through that makes it 50%.

They never spent a high pick on a receiver because they were building from scratch so they ended up taking the basics: CB, MLB, DE, QB, OTs.

So in terms of the safer high picks, it was just a matter of getting around to it.

And by now, at least we know from this free agency period that resistance to overpaying a glitzy FA WR was not just one regime's policy.

Now finally they can afford to and will draft one in either round 1 or 2.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
My take is that the previous scouting staff was fine. And in fact, that the Rams personnel people in general (college and pro combined) did a better job of finding WRs than they get credit for.
Yeah, I agree with that. Pickings have been kind of slim the past few years too. You think they'll keep a bunch of these guys around though? I mean, we'll know immediately after the draft if they do, but I have to wonder if they do (keep them around). I heard Fisher comment on how well they've done to this point, but sometimes you just want your own peeps.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
Yeah, I agree with that. Pickings have been kind of slim the past few years too. You think they'll keep a bunch of these guys around though? I mean, we'll know immediately after the draft if they do, but I have to wonder if they do (keep them around). I heard Fisher comment on how well they've done to this point, but sometimes you just want your own peeps.

I think they believe in themselves as coaches so I think they like the idea of developing young players, no matter who acquired them.

But the players better fit in............

That's my guess.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Alrite, it's tomorrow. Get some sleep and not worry about it. Cuz it is @ 8/7 ct. All day it's gonna be nothin but fluff and well bullshit and at the end of the draft...nothing. How it usually works.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am completely dialed in and know exactly what the Rams are going to do :boing:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
I am completely dialed in and know exactly what the Rams are going to do :boing:
That's cuz you're the board's only veteran. With experience comes knowledge. :boing:

joeybittick

Rookie
I had a dream last night that they picked a TE that I had never heard of at #6.... no joke. And I woke up pissed as hell for a few seconds before I figured out it was a dream.