Making the switch from Windows to Linux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If I didn't game so much on my PC, I'd run Linux. It just sucks to have to run WINE to play the games through.

Ubuntu was cool, and fast. Pick your distro and push forward!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It took longer than anticipated, but seeing as I'm not too tech savvy, it's still amazing that I'm posting this from my brand spanking new Linux Mint OS.

To show how inept I am at pc stuff, I burned the Linux ISO file onto a DVD using my AMD pc, which of course turned out be worthless on my Dell because it doesn't have the capacity to read an ISO file(which I should have figured out ahead of time).

So now I'm running the Linux from a SanDisk out of the USB port. So now I have to boot it from there each time. Lots of exploring to do. Hope I don't blow it up.

PhxRam

It took longer than anticipated, but seeing as I'm not too tech savvy, it's still amazing that I'm posting this from my brand spanking new Linux Mint OS.

To show how inept I am at pc stuff, I burned the Linux ISO file onto a DVD using my AMD pc, which of course turned out be worthless on my Dell because it doesn't have the capacity to read an ISO file(which I should have figured out ahead of time).

So now I'm running the Linux from a SanDisk out of the USB port. So now I have to boot it from there each time. Lots of exploring to do. Hope I don't blow it up.

I was going to hold your hand through the process but figured it was best to let you figure it out.

PhxRam

I burned the Linux ISO file onto a DVD using my AMD pc, which of course turned out be worthless on my Dell because it doesn't have the capacity to read an ISO file.

I am still unsure as to why that didnt work.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'll probably be Windows forever myself.

Even though the situation is much better than it used to be, there's still far more games for Windows than there are for Mac, and far more games for Mac than there are for Linux (Barring putzing about with WINE or tools.)

PhxRam

I'll probably be Windows forever myself.

Even though the situation is much better than it used to be, there's still far more games for Windows than there are for Mac, and far more games for Mac than there are for Linux (Barring putzing about with WINE or tools.)
Dual boot

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I was going to hold your hand through the process but figured it was best to let you figure it out.

You gave me plenty of advice.

I am still unsure as to why that didnt work.

It says to insert a DVD because there's nothing there. I did a check on the AMD and it says the DVD was fine. Maybe my Dell isn't set up for that. It only has one slot. At the very least I can continue to boot it into the Dell from the USB and bypass Windows XP.

PhxRam

You got Internet up and normally that is one of the hardest steps other then video.

Good job.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You got Internet up and normally that is one of the hardest steps other then video.

Good job.

The videos work fine. My first stop, after ROD of course, was You Tube. Linux makes the initial startup simple but now it's getting everything to work in the way I'm used to. Next stop is finding a task manager.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Explored Linux Mint over the weekend and managed to install it on my hard drive over Windows XP in my Dell. All seems fine so far. Up next is to install it on the AMD pc.

PhxRam

Explored Linux Mint over the weekend and managed to install it on my hard drive over Windows XP in my Dell. All seems fine so far. Up next is to install it on the AMD pc.
What are your initial thoughts?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What are your initial thoughts?

Relief. Didn't want to pay $100 for Windows 7 or 8 or take the pc's to the local computer store. Money's tight these days.

LM seems to be a bit quicker and is put together in such a way that there's not much of a learning curve when migrating from Windows XP. Linux made it quite easy. There are some minor differences but those will be figured out in time. At the moment I'm getting ready to hook up Mozilla Thunderbird.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
i have a 9yr old Lenovo X61 laptop running Ubuntu and it's awesome. bout it off ebay for $195. Great way to preserve an old machnie

cracengl

Rookie
I've used Ubuntu a few times when trying to recover deleted files. You may give it a shot too. If Linux is much like Unix, it'll be an adjustment in thinking, although I read someone talking about Mint, so I guess that would make it more GUI like, no?