Making the pick for the Rams: Eric Berry over T.J. McDonald in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What Safety duo would you rather have?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Making the pick for the Rams: Eric Berry over T.J. McDonald in 2017
gettyimages-504198588.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...he-rams-eric-berry-over-t-j-mcdonald-in-2017/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 22 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams brought their young safety home, and he is now set to play in the Coliseum where he played his college ball with USC.

T.J. McDonald is the Rams starting strong safety, and he’s only 25 years old. McDonald has manned that spot the past couple of years alongside Rodney McLeod, who just so happens to be with the Philadelphia Eagles now. McDonald will definitely have his work cut out for him now in 2016, as the attention will shift to him. The reason for that? He unfortunately will likely be playing alongside a first-time starter this coming season.

This also happens to be a contract year for the former Trojan. What does that mean for him? Well, for starters, he isn’t really helping himself by getting arrested for DUI this offseason. It also means that he really needs to step up this year. Of course, if he does have a big season, there’s obvious reason to believe that he’ll ask for a lofty contract. If/when that does happen, do the Rams absolutely need to bring back McDonald?

The argument for letting McDonald go
While I personally like McDonald a lot, I think the Rams should consider signing former Kansas City Chief Eric Berry, instead of re-signing McDonald if they can. If McDonald asks for around the same as Berry, there is no way the Rams could justify agreeing to that deal. Berry has no off-the-field issues, for starters, but is also an incredible talent.

The Chiefs also haven’t had much luck at all when it comes to their efforts to extend Berry this offseason either. If they can’t get a deal done by Friday, it means that Berry will indeed play under the franchise tag, which would allow him to enter free agency in 2017 if a deal is not struck.

NFL’s Ian Rapoport recently took to Twitter to touch on the contract situation between Berry and the Chiefs.

Berry is older than McDonald, which is leverage for McDonald. However, Berry is a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time First-Team All-Pro.

Of course, while it is worth noting that Berry does play a different safety position than McDonald, there are ways to work with that obviously.

If the Rams feel confident that former fourth-round pick Mo Alexander or UDFA Brian Randolph could play a pivotal role at strong safety in the future, then signing Berry would make a ton of sense. The Rams can’t afford to let McDonald go for nothing, and if they can’t get Berry, then by all means they will need to bring him back.

The Rams are unlikely to feel locked into McDonald, and if the team sees the opportunity to land someone better and more productive for a little bit more money, they may have to make that move next offseason.

Related:

What Harrison Smith's new deal means for T.J. McDonald

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have three thoughts here, jake...

1) Why the rush to replace McDonald? He knows the GW system like the back of his hand and hasn't even hit his prime yet.

2) Getting an outside and very expensive FA has little appeal to me. Not when we're facing years of contract challenges to resign our own upcoming players.

3) Snead can find and this coaching staff can develop Safeties like nobody's business. Why not continue that process with inexpensive younger players on their first contracts?

I just don't see a Berry signing in our future. Or any other outside CB or S, for that matter. Other teams are slobbering to sign OURS. Lol.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Watching Berry's entire career here in KC, I can assure you he is a team leader, great with the fans and in the community and one of the best safety's in the NFL. That said, don't think he'd be that significant an upgrade to warrant signing and then losing Brockers and/or Tru. Safety's much easier to come by than top flight DT or CB's. Sign your own, that's the best path to building a winning team.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
First ... before I can even answer, I would need to know TJ's status. I'm still dumbfounded about it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What @bubbaramfan and @Rams43 said....

plus I like TJ.....Berry could still be an injury risk....and it's gonna take a boatload of cash & cap space to sign him....FA's haven't been good to us...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So this means Tre Mason is going to be in training camp as well ?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm doing my best to keep McDonald if possible. Before injuries last year, many had him as a shoe in for a Pro Bowl or better. The DUI situation doesn't phase me any, and I doubt it scares the coaching staff either. I think part of the Snisher plan is keep the great young players they've developed, McDonald certainly fills that box. There will be some contract constraints with Brockers, Tru, Ogletree, Austin and Donald all looking at big money in the next couple of years, but you need a foundation to build on and that's something this franchise has lacked since about 2000.