Making the Leap, No. 1: Vikings' Cordarrelle Patterson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Making the Leap, No. 1: Vikings' Cordarrelle Patterson
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg

• Around The League will profile the top 25 players we see Making the Leap in 2014. No.1 on the list:Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson.

Making the Leap
    0ap2000000358971.jpg

Around The League will profile the top 25 players we see Making the Leap in 2014 -- players like running back Khiry Robinson of the New Orleans Saints.

» No. 25: Josh McCown
    » No. 24: Xavier Rhodes
    » No. 23: Christine Michael
    » No. 22: Ziggy Ansah
    » No. 21: Justin Hunter
    » No. 20: Markus Wheaton
    » No. 19: Khiry Robinson
    » No. 18: Gus Bradley, David Caldwell
    » No. 17: Marvin Jones
    » No. 16: Desmond Trufant
    » No. 15: Zach Ertz
    » No. 14: DeAndre Hopkins
    » No. 13: Everson Griffen
    » No. 12: Jordan Reed
    » No. 11: Datone Jones, Mike Daniels
    » No. 10: Jabaal Sheard
    » No. 9: Ladarius Green
    » No. 8: Toby Gerhart
    » No. 7: Montee Ball
    » No. 6: Johnathan Cyprien
    » No. 5: Jamie Collins
    » No. 4: Le'Veon Bell
    » No. 3: Andre Ellington
    » No. 2: Kenny Vaccaro
    » No. 1: Cordarrelle Patterson
    Why Patterson is on the list

We've been eagerly awaiting Patterson's 2014 season since the end of last year when the receiver put on a show down the stretch.

The 6-foot-2 dynamo is an amalgam of Devin Hester, Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Spiderman and the Road Runner. OK, Kevin, calm down.

Patterson displayed explosive playmaking ability in the return game, out of the backfield and improved skill in the pass attack as the year progressed. His combination of size, speed and toughness are tailor-made for today's NFL.

Since the end of the season, a bazillion words have been scrawled in every nook of the Internet praising Patterson and predicting a monster season.

Vikings fans have swooned over his talent, fantasy footballprognosticators have predicted mammoth stats and award-winning podcasters have extolled Patterson's potential.

Greg Jennings told Patterson he'll be "showcased" this season. Legendary linebacker Mike Singletary chimed in saying the receiver is going to be a superstar.

Even adversaries-turned-allies have been glowing about Patterson.

"The time we played them, he was nothing like he is now,'' cornerback Captain Munnerlyn recently said. "I told him, 'The time we played you, I'm glad we caught you early.' Because if we hadn't have caught him early, he was tearing people up at the end up the year.

"He's really growing as a receiver, and I'm seeing it with my own two eyes.''

With all that's been written and spoken about Patterson these last seven months, I'll let words be merely kindling for the playmaker's blazing reel and let you see with your own two eyes.

Let's start the game off with a touchdown.

Please, sir, may I have another? And make it longer -- anyone can return a kick 105 yards.

Patterson gobbled up 1,393 return yards in his Pro Bowl rookie season. Note to kickers: If you can't boot it out of the end zone, just pooch it.

If you give Patterson space in any phase of the game, he's gone. Even in the snow.

(Poor Matt Elam had no shot.)

Fun Fact: 10 of Patterson's 12 rushes came in the last five games when it finally dawned on former coordinator Bill Musgrave to get the ball into his hands any way possible.

Notice that first touchdown run above? It was against Mike Zimmer's former defense. No doubt he took note.

While most of Patterson's receptions came within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage, when given a chance, he also displayed good body control and an ability to adjust to (purposely?) underthrown balls.

His progression as a receiver throughout the season stands out on his tape. In Week 15 and Week 17, he caught touchdowns on back-shoulder throws. We should see that threat in the red zone more in 2014.

Obstacles

Now I'm forced to play fun police.

The biggest knock on Patterson entering his rookie season remains his chief obstacle: route running.

Even as he impressed down the stretch, the receiver was inconsistent in his routes. He often rounded off cuts and on some occasions even took lazy angles. He must catch on to new coordinator Norv Turner's offense quickly and become a master of the entire route tree.

Questions at quarterback are always an obstacle. Patterson looked his best last season with Matt Cassel under center, because the veteran quarterback wasn't afraid to give him a chance to make a play. If rookie Teddy Bridgewater wins the job or another quarterback carousel emerges, Patterson will have to bridge any chemistry gap.

Playing outside in Minnesota in December will not be a cozy proposition.

Expectations for 2014

Turner's offense has a certain way of aiding the leap of young receivers. The most recent example is Josh Gordonlast season in Cleveland. Turner will no doubt exploit Patterson's speed and ability to run through tackles in open space.

Given that the Vikings have other weapons -- Jennings, Adrian Petersonet al -- I don't expect Patterson to lead the league in receiving yards like Gordon did as the lone mustang in Turner's stable.

However, Patterson has the ideal size and burst to continue the string of receivers who explode in their second season. Even with the Vikings' run-heavy approach, a potential 70-catch, 1,100-yard season shouldn't be snickered at.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just curious, anybody got a total yards comparison to Tavon? Put them in here side by side..TD's too.

I really wanted this guy in the draft...Knew he'd turn into something...

FRO

Legend
Just curious, anybody got a total yards comparison to Tavon? Put them in here side by side..TD's too.

I really wanted this guy in the draft...Knew he'd turn into something...
Austin
1,247 yards
6 TDs

Patterson
2,020 yards
9 TDs

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Once the draft is over I'm a total. Rams homer and everybody else is the enemy, but I was all about crdarelle before the draft two years ago. We shall see.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was praying he would fall one more spot and Fisher would lose his mind and take him. Those two together? OMG.

Why isn't Ogletree on that list? He's set to explode. Oh, yeah, he's a Rams.

Patterson makes #1 and TA doesn't make the list with experience, SB back, STs playing lights out punt return blocking and not getting penalized so much? Please.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
What the fuck is with these guys? Not a single Ram on the list? Not Brockers, Ogletree, Austin, Jenkins, Johnson, or Stacy? Again, what the fuck?

RamzFanz

Damnit
What the freak is with these guys? Not a single Ram on the list? Not Brockers, Ogletree, Austin, Jenkins, Johnson, or Stacy? Again, what the freak?

It's just great! No one but our clan is seeing this coming. No player making the leap? 31st in talent? Worst coaching staff? LOL!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I was hoping and praying for Austin...love that he is a Ram and excited for his future. But I'd be lying if I denied that in retrospect the better move might have been to stay put and take Patterson. I think he's just as explosive and has better size.

But like I said...still more than excited for Tavon Austin.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Austin
1,247 yards
6 TDs

Patterson
2,020 yards
9 TDs
So if you were able to add in the TD's and yards Tavon lost because of ST penalties, Tavon would come across pretty good! :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People are going gaga over Patterson because he's 6'2". And there's a lot to like but I don't really see how he has shown anything more than Austin offensively.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
What the freak is with these guys? Not a single Ram on the list? Not Brockers, Ogletree, Austin, Jenkins, Johnson, or Stacy? Again, what the freak?
Was Robert Quinn on their list last year? Of course not, that's why these people should be taken with a grain of salt

Next year they'll be talking about how they didn't see Brockers, Austin, and Ogletree coming

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
No rams...reeedikulus!

I didn't want Patterson...looks like I was wrong. I believed his mental game wasn't strong....but, that is what scouts are for. Before he came to the Rams, I thought Marhsalll was a whiney baby, a me-first guy (I had inside intel at Colts), and Marshall changed (and Marshall is quoted as saying that he changed) and became MR. team.
No one doubted this guy's ability...it is the mental game.

I am thinking the same for Kenny Britt, if he doesn't want to be homeless by age 35, Britt knows that THIS is his chance...and I think he will come through....we just need 4-5 really good games and that will make our season great for Austin, Stedman, Quick and Cook.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They had Chris Givens on it last year who didn't really "make the leap."

These lists are bogus and do nothing but fuel hype. Could care less about lists.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I honestly believe if Brian Schottenheimer is creative enough to get Tavon the ball in space, heading up field that Tavon is better than Patterson. Schotty has to tailor the Rams offense to each player's strength for the Rams to triumph.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Actually there are a lot of players that 'Should' be on this list that aren't! Aside from all the Rams mentioned above! What about Keenan Allen? I'd bet we could come up with a lot more! But that would give up our ROD picks for FF Football!!:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know what I'm looking forward to? The 5th time GZ kicks off for a touchback against the Vikings this season.