Making the cut; Aaron Green

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/07/making-the-cut-running-back-aaron-green/

Running back Aaron Green was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but he caught the eye of the Los Angeles Rams. Green transferred to TCU after attending Nebraska for his freshman season. He spent three seasons racking up big numbers and making history as a member of the Horned Frogs. He finished his college career at TCU with 445 total carries for 2,426 yards and 20 rushing touchdowns.

However, one reason why Green went undrafted was due to his poor blocking abilities. With his small frame at 5-foot-10 he has trouble excelling as a pass blocker, but has the speed the Rams obviously want on the roster. If Green wants to show he can make it to the NFL, he must be able to improve his blocking.

It seems likely that the Rams have their top-two RBs set in Todd Gurley and Benny Cunningham. The opportunity for Green lies in the fact that Tre Mason is currently dealing with legal issues. If the Rams are going to cut Mason, it leaves an open spot for the No. 3 running back.

Green would then go toe-to-toe with other RBs Chase Reynolds and 2015 UDFA Malcolm Brown in training camp. In order for Green to come out on top and make the final roster, he would have to excel in almost all aspects of being a RB at the NFL level.

Chances of Making Final Roster: 7/10
It’s going to be a fun battle to watch in training camp. Brown and Green are good friends, but only one, if either, will likely wind up on the roster. Jeff Fisher does love to use all of his running backs in the offense, and I see Green edging his way into Fisher’s heart.

Remember, this is all happening because of the decisions by Mason off the field. Green has to attack the opportunity full speed ahead.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Green was acquired to fill the void left by Watts. His skill set could be handled by Tavon and Pharoah. He's a runner who can threaten the perimeter by either running or catching the rock. The question is whether or not he can excel at special teams and how many RB's the Rams will carry. I give him a 20% shot of making the final roster.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Malcolm Brown because he's bigger and IMO is more similar to Gurley, however, it only takes a couple of eye popping plays in preseason to turn a few heads and if Green is able to do that, he could very well beat out Brown as I still believe if Mason is not on the roster Chase Reynolds will still make the team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'm really anxious to see this young man in some action. I have a feeling however he may find himself a victim of so many young pass catchers and the desire to upgrade the passing attack. Hopefully if he doesn't make the 53 man we are able to stash him on the PS.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I give Aaron Green a very good shot at making this team unless he dances his way backwards in preseason trying to get too cute. Running between the tackles will be his downfall but he's a gifted scat back change of pace runner the Rams could use on the roster.

With Tre Mason's situation and special teams ace Chase Reynolds on the back end of his career, Green will make this roster if he has a few big plays in preseason along with showing some value on special teams.

I would assume he's going to get a chance to return some kickoffs and maybe some punts? He's the boom or bust player type but I'm rooting for the fleet footed jitterbug TCU runner.

#36 RB AARON GREEN 5'11 205 lbs
(Turns 24 on 10/15/2016)
460x.jpg

2015 TCU: ATT.. 244... YARDS... 1,272.. AVG.. 5.2.. TD.. 11
2014 TCU: ATT.. 129... YARDS......922... AVG.. 7.1.. TD... 9

2013 TCU: ATT.... 72... YARDS..... 232.. AVG... 3.2.. TD.. 0
2011 NEB: ATT.... 24.... YARDS.... 105.. AVG... 4.4.. TD... 2

Career Receiving.. Catches 40... YDS.. 332.. YPC.. 8.3.. TD.. 5

[www.cbssports.com]
STRENGTHS: Balanced athlete and light on his feet to make sharp lateral cuts, creating with ankle-breaking jukes. Shifty movements and open-field wiggle to explode north-south. Easy acceleration to burst away from defenders in space. Natural run instincts to read blocks and usually has a plan at the line of scrimmage. Runs tough and keep his legs churning, fighting for every yard.

Focused receiver with reliable hands, often lining up in the slot. Has the chops to at least make an effort in pass protection. Only three fumbles in his career. Driven individual and well-respected by people around the program "phenomenal young man".

WEAKNESSES: Lacks an ideal build for the position and his frame doesn't have the growth potential to get much bigger. Runs with minimal power and is limited as an inside runner. Tunnel vision at times and gets bounce happy, dancing and taking too many steps in the backfield.

Needs to take what is blocked for him instead of trying to create on his own. Bad habit of stopping his feet and won't pick up yards after initial contact, too easily taken down by finger-tip tackles. Doesn't have elite downfield speed and can be caught from behind. Route-running and field sense need improved. Steps up as a blocker, but too easily knocked off his feet. Ball security needs improved, holding the ball too loose.

IN OUR VIEW: Green has video game-like cuts, making quick reads and reacting with his feet to keep defenders off-balance, but he needs space to be effective. He isn't a strong between-the-tackles runner and struggles with congestion, not consistently trusting his vision or allowing blocks to develop. Green is quicker than fast with the athleticism to create on his own as a runner or receiver, but his lack of run power will limit his role in the NFL. Dane Brugler (2/8/16)

Green's Long speed has a Governor on it but his 0-60 MPH is Tavon like. (Related to the former HOF CB Darrell Green)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQGBWquA0Ow

tcuuuu.0.0.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/07/making-the-cut-running-back-aaron-green/

Running back Aaron Green was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but he caught the eye of the Los Angeles Rams. Green transferred to TCU after attending Nebraska for his freshman season. He spent three seasons racking up big numbers and making history as a member of the Horned Frogs. He finished his college career at TCU with 445 total carries for 2,426 yards and 20 rushing touchdowns.

However, one reason why Green went undrafted was due to his poor blocking abilities. With his small frame at 5-foot-10 he has trouble excelling as a pass blocker, but has the speed the Rams obviously want on the roster. If Green wants to show he can make it to the NFL, he must be able to improve his blocking.

It seems likely that the Rams have their top-two RBs set in Todd Gurley and Benny Cunningham. The opportunity for Green lies in the fact that Tre Mason is currently dealing with legal issues. If the Rams are going to cut Mason, it leaves an open spot for the No. 3 running back.

Green would then go toe-to-toe with other RBs Chase Reynolds and 2015 UDFA Malcolm Brown in training camp. In order for Green to come out on top and make the final roster, he would have to excel in almost all aspects of being a RB at the NFL level.

Chances of Making Final Roster: 7/10
It’s going to be a fun battle to watch in training camp. Brown and Green are good friends, but only one, if either, will likely wind up on the roster. Jeff Fisher does love to use all of his running backs in the offense, and I see Green edging his way into Fisher’s heart.

Remember, this is all happening because of the decisions by Mason off the field. Green has to attack the opportunity full speed ahead.
I think Chase will make the Roster because of his value on ST, so Green will have to beat out Brown, and I think Brown is a good Blocker. It may come down to just that point!;)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think we have to give Green a decent chance of making the 53.

Especially since Mason is looking like a goner.

I thought I read in immediate post draft and UDFA comments that Green was considered a fine pass protector. Did I misremember that?

Anyway, if Green excels on ST I think he makes it behind Gurley, Cunningham, and Brown.

Chase Reynolds? How many years can he stick on a constantly improving roster strictly as a ST player? Unless he has pictures, I think Chase is verrrrry vulnerable this year. Surely a RB, LB, WR, CB, or S can replace him as a ST player this year?

Just gonna be too many excruciating late roster cuts this year to allow for the luxury of keeping a strictly ST player like Chase Reynolds. I understand the fondness by some, but if S&F can release the likes of a J Lau and a Long in order to upgrade the roster, then they can damned sure do the same when it comes to Chase Reynolds. Sorry...