Making The Case For Drafting A Wide Receiver Round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-Hawks

UDFA
Making The Case For Drafting A Wide Receiver Round 1
Hi guys as the draft approaches, I wanted to focus on a position of need on this team. I feel that the Wide Receiver position is a position getting over looked by most Rams fans. Most Rams fans are eyeing Offensive Lineman in the first round. Quite frankly these offensive lineman in this draft are over rated at pick number 10. I do not see one offensive lineman at pick ten that deserves to be picked, but maybe Scherff, but I still see that as over reaching. I think we should take a next level wide receiver and pick up offensive lineman later. This draft has a lot of great depth for offensive lineman. I just don't see any pro bowl level offensive lineman players in this draft. I feel that we can get an equal offensive lineman in round 2-4 as in the first round. Players like Laken Tomlinson, AJ Cann, Rob Havenstein, Cedric Obguehi, Jarvis Harrison, and many more prospects could be as good or even better than players like La'el Collins, Andrus Peat, and Ereck Flowers. We should address our wide receiver position instead adding a true number one receiver to our team. This team does not have a number one receiver like some say. We need someone to throw the ball to and score for us to win games. Our wide receivers do not score touchdowns. Some say it is the quarterback that is the problem. I do not buy that at all. Old Vincent Jackson put up crazy numbers last year with worse quaterbacks throwing to him than us. Alshon Jeffrey put up 1,133 yards and 10 TDs with that mess of a QB situation in Chicago. The fact is we have a lot of number twos but no number one receiver. Look at these touchdown stats from last year from our top 5 wide receivers.
2014 Rams Wide Receivers Touchdowns
Kenny Britt- 3 TD
Brian Quick- 3 TD
Stedman Bailey- 1 TD
Chris Givens- 1 TD
Tavon Austin- 0 TD
Total TD from Wide Receivers- 8 TD
Conclusion
As you can see we are missing a number one reciever. It is not the quaterback fault. The problem is our receivers are not special. They should be able to break a slant for a big gain and touchdown. The receivers are not getting much YAC and we can change that buy drafting a game changing number one receiver in round one. 8 TD is patheic many teams have wide receivers that have double that many touchdowns in a season. Dez Bryant had 16 TD last year. Allen Hurns a rookie had 6 TD with a rookie quaterback. TD score points that wins games. Are recievers don't have a knack for the end zone, and they are good compliments. Some say KC had zero touchdowns. Well they have an elite running game spear headed by the best running back in the league. My answer to this is to draft Devante Parker and fix this receiving problem we have had since Torry Holt left. Parker is a very big receiver. He is thin, but he is fast and has one of the biggest wingspan of any receiver in this class. He has great body control in the air tracking the football. Lastly, he is great at getting YAC and does not go down. Devante Parker is the answer to our problems Rams fans.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Been saying it since the season ended. The Rams WR position is not settled and could be a dire need in two years. Now is a good time to get a potential stud in the fold.

If Tavon and Stedman don't improve production....if Quick has lingering affects from injury, and Britt starts to fall into old habits the need could be immediate.

However, when Quicks contract is up they will have to decide his worth. Signing him is no guarantee until after the see how he rebounds. Britt is on a two year contract, and some team will think they can use Tavon better than the Rams and outbid for him, IMO.

This season will be pivotal for the WRs on the roster, but there will be at least one open for a future star and they won't regret picking one.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Great points and don't think it's been overlooked. A lot of fans have advocated a WR for all the reasons you have given.

Nice post

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I could certainly see WR at 10 - and if Cooper or White are there then that's all I see.

But like there are quality OL later in the draft the WR pool has some serious depth of it's own.

No question 2 WRs are top 10 prospects.

It's a fair question whether any O Lineman are top 10 guys.

Devante Parker is right there on the doorstep for value at 10.

Fun year - we are just pretty much in the dark with where the Rams will go in the first. Could be any one of like 15 guys.

jjab360

Legend
I think the top three WRs are special players and I can't put any of the OL in this draft in that category. A lot of the mid round OL are likely to be just as good as some of the OL taken in round 1. For that reason, I'd put my money on a WR at 10.

T-Hawks

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel like one of the big offensive lineman like Erving, Clemmings, Collins, or Flowers will slide to the second round. This is our year to finally get a number one wide receiver. I see Britt as a number two wide receiver. Quick scares the crap out of me with that injury. I would be very happy with Parker at #10. The receivers outside the Top three of Cooper, White, and Parker I see as nothing more than a Britt or Quick. I see it as Cooper, White, Parker or bust.

Athos

Legend
We'll have our chance at one of the big 3 at 10.

Mostly between Parker and Cooper.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It is not the quaterback fault.

Davis and Hill at QB... Not sure how you say that.

Britt was missed many times deep due to poor deep balls by this duo. Givens, while arguably a one trick pony, needs the deep ball.

I think the QB play in 2014 was significantly a reason for the poor passing stats.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Well thought out post but I'm personally not on board with Parker at 10. I think your concern with overdrafting OL there could be said of Parker as well. Is he really a top ten guy? There's a lot of talent at the WR this year beyond the two consensus wideouts. I like that 6'5" dude, personally. Its a very interesting spot...10. I'd like us to move down a little and invest in our dire need up front given the wrote scenarios but my expectation is that there will be a few surprises. I can't wait!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll have our chance at one of the big 3 at 10.

Mostly between Parker and Cooper.

Actually I think Cooper has significantly less chance to make it to 10 than the other two. The WR that I think has the highest chance to slide to 10 is White due to him being a one year riser. Teams look at more than that last year of film and grade them out overall. While I'm not saying that White isn't worth a top ten selection, between the three of them I think he could be the guy who ends up sitting there at the Rams' selection.

Athos

Legend
Actually I think Cooper has significantly less chance to make it to 10 than the other two. The WR that I think has the highest chance to slide to 10 is White due to him being a one year riser. Teams look at more than that last year of film and grade them out overall. While I'm not saying that White isn't worth a top ten selection, between the three of them I think he could be the guy who ends up sitting there at the Rams' selection.

Yea, he's my personal favorite, so that's fine with me. I'm just betting OAK, with its history, goes big/tall/fast as is the norm with them.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Just To play Devils advocate.....I often hear "what if Quick has a slow recovery? ".... yet there is just as many questions to weather Saffold will be ready...as his off season shoulder (torn Labrum) surgery usually takes longer than 6 months to recover from right? It usually takes 9 months...and was the reason the Raiders backed out of they're deal last year. Of course I cannot actually speak to the severity of the injury...I'm not sure I believe any thing Fisher says......too much coach speak. ...so what do you think? Aren't there as many questions to Saffold's avaliablity as Quicks?

Go Rams........... ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just To play Devils advocate.....I often hear "what if Quick has a slow recovery? ".... yet there is just as many questions to weather Saffold will be ready...as his off season shoulder (torn Labrum) surgery usually takes longer than 6 months to recover from right? It usually takes 9 months...and was the reason the Raiders backed out of they're deal last year. Of course I cannot actually speak to the severity of the injury...I'm not sure I believe any thing Fisher says......too much coach speak. ...so what do you think? Aren't there as many questions to Saffold's avaliablity as Quicks?

Agreed 56 but it is an argument that we don't even really need to make because all we need to do is simply take a look at the depth chart. The Rams are drafting the position this year.

I believe the Rams will take Scherff at 10 if he is there. Perfect fit: smart, tough, physical player who gives them the flexibility they covet. If the Giants take him then they need to decide between taking that third WR or moving down. Lastly re: Scherff I believe the Rams will probably like him so much they might even move up for him and a target spot could be 8 overall with the Bears who need a nose tackle and can scoop Shelton at 10.

If they go with the WR then a trade up from round 2 is possible depending on where/when the OTs start coming off the board. The price of WR in round 1 is now they are sweating the load with OT, so best case they get the next tier guy they want in round 2.

If they trade down then they will have another pick which will net a very good OG or WR prospect, plus they take their OT and get it over with right at the top. Flexibility they have in the draft now is get their OG need in any of rounds 2-4.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that when you need a couple starter-level players from a draft on the OL it means you probably need to make an additional pick to help make up for the bust possibility. This is particularly true when you talk about moving down vice nailing it with Scherff at 10. Scherff, IMO, is a critical piece for the flexibility he gives them in the rest of the draft plus the fact that he'll lock down one position immediately as a starter no doubt about it in my mind. So in my estimation in spite of all the WR mocks and rumors with 10 overall we don't have to sweat it, the OL is gonna get addressed and probably right at the top.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Agree with the premiss that the #10 pick be BPA, and I doubt there is a OL valued at #10 overall. So I could see a wr or DE fall in our laps. I'm really liking Bud Dupree... But this
It is not the quaterback fault.
this statement is flat out wrong, wr's need decent QB's to succeed...Just like QB's need wr's & linemen...some more than most...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Every team in the NFL has a #1 WR. Some are just better then others :whistle:

I agree that the Rams could use a WR who's better than Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey and Givens.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Not sure that Parker is an upgrade over Quick....same height...about the same speed and jumping ability. ...about the same ceiling....he is ahead of where Quick was when he came out..but if he has about the same ceiling not sure that matters...White or Cooper on the other hand have a much higher ceiling. .and much better speed than Quick or Parker. And to be truthful. ...none of us know how the Rams board is stacked.....I think that I will be excited no matter which position we draft...trade up , down, stay put.....as long as we improve........... ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that I will be excited no matter which position we draft...trade up , down, stay put.....as long as we improve........... ;)

Me too tbh, as long as it is offense. A WR immediately helps Foles with another weapon and a deeper corps of receivers which is fine whether it's in round 1 on. But if they do go WR and end up with something other than OL in round 2 then I'm gonna lose it. This line doesn't just need a pick thrown at it, it needs some draft TLC.