Making a point: Rams must score more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
F. Mulder said:
Faceplant said:
Agree with you all and love your enthusiasm. Wish I shared the optimism though. This offense has has stunk up the joint for years, so I am jaded, but I just don't see the offense scoring 6 more ppg this year. I would be happy with 22 ppg. Heck, as DR said, I would be happy with 2 ppg if our D shutout every opponent. Hope I am wrong, but I think NEXT year is where we see the offense click more.

Just to be clear, I didn't say we would be a 24 PPG Offense, I'm saying it should be the goal. With any average you lose some you score more than normal and you win some you score less.

The keys to this team's offensive production are:

1) Field position. Even with the above average D there were few 3 and outs, few good special team returns, and few drives that were near mid-field. Long fields and a below average defense that lacks explosion result in lots of punts and long FG attempts. I love this D but I want them to flex their muscles when a team is pinned back in its own zone and in trouble. I also want a return team that can take a potential bad field position and make it neutral or even a positive. I also want a player or 800 who can take a play and make it big and explosive. Last year the Rams were one of the worst teams at even getting into the red zone and when they did it generally didn't result in 7.

2) Third down conversions. You cannot score if you cannot sustain drives. Not only were the Rams poor at 3rd down conversions but they seemed pretty bad at converting 3rd and shorts.

3) Summation of all my babble. Field position. Explosive plays. Red Zone entrances. Red Zone conversions. Third down conversions.

Do they have the capability to do that? Sure, much more so than in past years. Will they do it? Who knows? To me, get into the red zone first more often and let's take it from there.

Frank, I'd be SHOCKED if we don't have more explosive plays, and more scoring chances.

Shawnbb158

Starter
One thing that will help our offense is having tavon back there doing what he does with returns. Our kickoff/ punt return average has been terrible recently and now that we have tavon to give our offense better field position as he proved vs the broncos that will help us score more points on its own.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Shawnbb158 said:
One thing that will help our offense is having tavon back there doing what he does with returns. Our kickoff/ punt return average has been terrible recently and now that we have tavon to give our offense better field position as he proved vs the broncos that will help us score more points on its own.

This is what I think, Austin's punt return abilities should set us up with better field position more, Bradford will only need to move the ball 10-20 yards to put us in FG range, which should help increase our overall points. As well as our defense generating more turnovers, and the progression of our receivers, and the addition of Cook.

I think that 24+ PPG is very doable. If they can actually pull it off is another thing, but it's well within their reach.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
bluecoconuts thinking positively:
This is what I think, Austin's punt return abilities should set us up with better field position more, Bradford will only need to move the ball 10-20 yards to put us in FG range, which should help increase our overall points. As well as our defense generating more turnovers, and the progression of our receivers, and the addition of Cook.

I think that 24+ PPG is very doable. If they can actually pull it off is another thing, but it's well within their reach.

Whose going to kick the ball to Tavon after his first couple of really good returns? I'm not sure that scenario is going to happen that often. I agree with your thinking about the 24+ PPG though even without the great field position you envisage.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I honestly believe that this offense can add a touchdown per game on average. Why not? The only thing we had last year that we don't have this year is a #1RB. However, we have a much more stable O-line, better WR, better TEs, Sam is clearly more comfortable and looked pretty darn good in the preseason (I know it's preseason). The offense just looks more in command, they play faster and the WR are definitely getting open more.

Many times last year our drives got stalled because we had to use these long, lumbering drives. Now we have playmakers all over the offense. We don't need to have 10 plays every time, because you might run a well designed bubble screen that Austin takes to the house. Our return game will be better which will in turn set up our offense. I believe the Rams offense had one of the worst starting positions in the NFL last year. Cook looks like he can break out 10 yard catches into 30 yard gains as well. And Givens just looks good. I really think that going to at least 21 ppg is very doable and I honestly can see this team going to 23-25