Mailbag: What's next for Rams at quarterback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If it gets to the point Lynch isn't their and we still go after a QB, I'd Rather it be Jeff Driskel out of Lousiana, or Cardale Jones from Ohio St. JMHO

I don't know much about Driskel, however, Jones really struggled with accuracy last season and I watched every game he's played at Ohio State. Jones has many things you would like, but not having a receiver that beat a defense deep really hampered Jones' effectiveness.

As to Driskel, he was a mess at Florida and then did well on a smaller stage which sounds like Garrett Gilbert and all of us know how that worked out. Believe you me I'm not a fan of Christian Hackenberg and God knows I'm praying for Wentz (trade up) or Lynch, however, I just have a feeling that Fisher and Snead will like him, his bad mechanics and all!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why wouldn't the Browns trade with the Rams or another QB desperate team after pulling off a trade for Kraepondick ?

I think if the Browns pull of this trade it's Dallas and SF we worry about with that Ravens pick the last chance to pick up Goff or Lynch (the big 3)

The Browns have tons of holes and their complete lack of big splash free agent buys indicates they want to draft replacements who Jackson can mold -- I think both top picks will be traded if the Browns can land their starter by trade with SF. They must know they will suck just a little less next season with their Moneyball bullshite FO -- and if they roll out a rookie franchise guy next year it'll be even tougher -- I mean if they get Kraepondick why would thy have Goff, Wentz, or Lynchh sit for a year or two, I mean can they afford that? So I don't see the way these math guys who are clearly calling the shots are gonna not trade that pick with they get Kraepondick

And is Tunsil really that great? Is he like Orlando Pace coming in who you knew would be great? I'm not sure, maybe they think so, but I just don't see why Tennessee or Cleveland would want to keep those picks if QB hungry teams will be willing to trade up - by the price Brock Osweiller got the price by way of picks in return could be steeeep.

Anyway, I think they are gonna be super aggressive and try and grab Wentz, Lynch, or Goff. You can't be in the situation we are and bring in Joel Stave with the 5th pick cause he looks prototypical and he is super smart and Snead and Fisher want competition for Mannion... Give me a cocky guy like Connor Cook who knows how to win any day

Anyway my thinking is if they don't end up with Lynch before #15 they will take Connor Cook - maybe not at 15 but he's sitting pretty for Denver if people are actually fall for the reports that he's not likable etc

The reason I think the Browns take either QB at 2 is because Kaep is hardly a sure thing, Dieter. Hell, I think he doesn't even rise to the level of iffy.

And opportunities to draft the first QB don't come around very often. Can't pass them up.

The Browns are gonna have numerous holes no matter who they draft. Gotta take the QB and go from there.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lynch was considered the number two guy before the combine, IIRC. Everyone thinks he's going to be there at 15, so why give away premium draft picks in order to move up and draft a different "project". I guess it all depends on Mannion. If Fisher likes Mannion, we are all set, we just don't realize it. In the meantime... drafting and trying to develop Paxton Lynch while watching Keenum and Mannion "learn" this year, along with our TWO #2 draft picks, sounds like a good plan to me. People are forgetting the down sides of the quarterback prospects... Wentz has only played at North Dakota State..., he might come into the NFL and be a deer in headlights. Goff may have a lower ceiling, according to the experts. Either way.... I don't think Lynch is that much different, although I am just an armchair GM. Go Rams!

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
My thoughts.... Keenum has potential but still unproven, same as Mannion, the one proven is that Foles sucks. He has to go, what can we get for draft picks for him and one of our second round picks? Could we get the Dallas 4th pick for Foles, a second and a fifth? That would guarantee us Goff at least.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be to steep for me considering we are not even close to being a playoff team

the rams were 3 missed fgs from being 10 and 6. with maybe the worst example of qbing in the history of the league in 10 of those games. explain how they're not even close to being a playoff team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have ammo but we have holes. Lb, cb, fs, DE, Wr
While I am against any trade up that results in mass forfeiture of priceless high draft selections, I am not sure we have that many holes that I could use to argue strongly against it. But the QB is a grand canyon size HOLE.

At this time I do not see any big concerns ongoing @ CB with having two proven starters(Johnson/Gaines) & two good 3rd & 4th Nickle/Dime (Joyner/Roberson). I would also see no concerns when we have starters like Ogletree/Barron/Ayers. We also have young LBers with some talent in Hager/Lynch/Hodges/Wells.

My biggest concern & I would agree with you is with a pass rushing DE. Quinn's injury/surgery is very concerning & Wm Hayes is much better against the run than in the pass rush. I would add to your list as a major concern .....the absence of a back up NT to Brockers. The duo of Bryant/Davis at FS would seem to be an issue but with two proven starting SS in Mo/TJ we should let that work it self out.

Offensively we have some big issues now ongoing at WR/RB & TE. Rams look to gamble to see if two past injured WR's can make a comeback (Quick/Bailey). The answer to that may take a long time. Beside those two Britt is the only legit WR we have. With TE's Cook/ Harkey's departure makes the TE very thin & lacks any passing threat. The FA'cy of Benny Cunningham & the duo of pigheadedness of Watts/Mason raise the concern @ RB much higher than one would have thought.

List of Holes prioritized?
#1- QB
#2- WR
#3-Edge Pass Rusher
#4-NT
#5-TE
#6-RB
#7-FS

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If the rams think Goff or Wentz are franchise worthy then they should do whatever it takes to get one of them, including pulling a Ditka.

If neither are much better than Case or Mannion, then get a couple starters in the draft and roll with Case, who proved he can win with this team.

The last thing they need is a developmental qb at 15 or in the 2nd round.

jap

Legend
Dammit, we need picks!!!!

If worst to worst, we may just have to bite the bullet and trade Dani for draft choices. We ought to fetch us some serious #1 picks for the next few years for her alone.
Can we really imagine the Horns without Dani? :shocked::headexplosion::death:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The reason I think the Browns take either QB at 2 is because Kaep is hardly a sure thing, Dieter. Hell, I think he doesn't even rise to the level of iffy.

And opportunities to draft the first QB don't come around very often. Can't pass them up.

The Browns are gonna have numerous holes no matter who they draft. Gotta take the QB and go from there.

I'm only assuming that if you trade for Kraepondick you have to think he's your starter for 2016 and hopefully 2017 ? No? Why not accumulate picks or draft Tunsil or Bosa

The best bet for the Browns is just to draft Goff regardless of hand size and leave Wentz to the Rams

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just bite the bullet and trade into the top 6 to get our QB once and for all.A trade with Balt at 6 shouldn't be to expensive.Our 1st,2nd and 4th round picks would be equal trade value.We can't go into the season with Keenum as our starter and no plan for the future.

So 3 or 4 of this years picks for 1 weak QB who probably would not be ready to start this year and fill the rest of the holes in the roster with scrubs that are left in FA??

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
So 3 or 4 of this years picks for 1 weak QB who probably would not be ready to start this year and fill the rest of the holes in the roster with scrubs that are left in FA??

No just 2 for a QB that's better than we have now.Unless you want to waste another year going with a QB that clearly is not our future QB.Goff or Wentz are both capable of playing at the level we need to win with our defense.So I'd rather not go through another year of subpar QB play.And if we do have to go through a year like that,I'd rather it be with our QB of the future learning the system.

lockdnram21

Legend
While I am against any trade up that results in mass forfeiture of priceless high draft selections, I am not sure we have that many holes that I could use to argue strongly against it. But the QB is a grand canyon size HOLE.

At this time I do not see any big concerns ongoing @ CB with having two proven starters(Johnson/Gaines) & two good 3rd & 4th Nickle/Dime (Joyner/Roberson). I would also see no concerns when we have starters like Ogletree/Barron/Ayers. We also have young LBers with some talent in Hager/Lynch/Hodges/Wells.

My biggest concern & I would agree with you is with a pass rushing DE. Quinn's injury/surgery is very concerning & Wm Hayes is much better against the run than in the pass rush. I would add to your list as a major concern .....the absence of a back up NT to Brockers. The duo of Bryant/Davis at FS would seem to be an issue but with two proven starting SS in Mo/TJ we should let that work it self out.

Offensively we have some big issues now ongoing at WR/RB & TE. Rams look to gamble to see if two past injured WR's can make a comeback (Quick/Bailey). The answer to that may take a long time. Beside those two Britt is the only legit WR we have. With TE's Cook/ Harkey's departure makes the TE very thin & lacks any passing threat. The FA'cy of Benny Cunningham & the duo of pigheadedness of Watts/Mason raise the concern @ RB much higher than one would have thought.

List of Holes prioritized?
#1- QB
#2- WR
#3-Edge Pass Rusher
#4-NT
#5-TE
#6-RB
#7-FS
Im sorry I just dont agree with tru and gaines as top 2 cbs. I really think they get apple in first round

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No just 2 for a QB that's better than we have now.Unless you want to waste another year going with a QB that clearly is not our future QB.Goff or Wentz are both capable of playing at the level we need to win with our defense.So I'd rather not go through another year of subpar QB play.And if we do have to go through a year like that,I'd rather it be with our QB of the future learning the system.

I'm not against going with Keenum and Mannion this year because I'm not sold on this class having anyone better and there are other problems on this roster.

2 picks is better than 3 or 4 but how far up can we go with that? There has to be someone who wants to make that deal and I'm betting that only gets you high enough to get Lynch. Lynch for sure would not be better than what we already have.

I don't know who the long term answer is. Maybe they decide to stack WRs this year like they did with OL last year and then go with Mannion in 2017?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
the rams were 3 missed fgs from being 10 and 6. with maybe the worst example of qbing in the history of the league in 10 of those games. explain how they're not even close to being a playoff team.

If we made some fgs we'd be 10-6 but we didn't. If we had some good WRs we would win more games but no ours suck. If we had a good QB but we don't . If we had a weapon at TE but we don't. We have major trouble on offense and the thing we could count on, our defense, took some major hits in FA. If one LB goes down we are in major trouble. Our secondary is very thin. I'm sorry but I just don't see a playoff caliber team.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I'm not against going with Keenum and Mannion this year because I'm not sold on this class having anyone better and there are other problems on this roster.

2 picks is better than 3 or 4 but how far up can we go with that? There has to be someone who wants to make that deal and I'm betting that only gets you high enough to get Lynch. Lynch for sure would not be better than what we already have.

I don't know who the long term answer is. Maybe they decide to stack WRs this year like they did with OL last year and then go with Mannion in 2017?

Our 1st,2nd and 4th picks are equal value to Balt.6th overall pick. That's according to the draft value chart that most teams go by.I wouldn't have no problem going with Mannion this year.And if we do I hope your right and they get him some receivers.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to draft a franchise QB. But is there really one in this draft? I have my doubts. Plus, if there is a stud DE or LB, could Fisher pass on that? You know how much he loves those types of players.