Mailbag: Taking a look at what QB Nick Foles could command as a FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Taking a look at what QB Nick Foles could command as a free agent
Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...t-qb-nick-foles-could-command-as-a-free-agent

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have one more week of organized team activities before calling it an offseason. But there is no shortage of questions that need to be answered between now and the season.

We'll let the Rams sort out their questions but in this space, we devote our time to answering your queries.

As always, if you'd like to participate in the mailbag, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner. Please use the hashtag #RamsMail and I'll answer every weekend.

Matt Stroehmer @MStroehmer
Foles is a free agent after this year, if I'm not mistaken. What kind of contract could he demand with a decent '15?

@nwagoner: You are not mistaken. Nick Foles is indeed scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent after the season. And the question you ask is one of the most important the Rams will face during and after the season.

To start, I tend to think the Rams will let the season play out before making any sort of decision on Foles' long-term future. In other words, I tend to doubt an extension will happen before or during the season. What happens from there will largely depend on how he performs. The nature of this offense will likely prevent Foles from posting monster numbers like he did in 2013, but let's say he has a solid season with something like 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while staying healthy and the Rams win nine or 10 games. One would think that would put Foles in line for a pretty nice deal.

I don't think he'd be in that upper echelon, but let's put him more in line with someone like Kansas City's Alex Smith. Smith got four years at an average of about $17 million a season with $19 million guaranteed upfront (and more guarantees to take it closer to $45 million in guarantees upon simply sticking around for a year or two).

Kelton Brooks @BrooksWeekly
Is there truth to EJ Gaines over Tru Johnson in the starting lineup? If so, where does that leave Joyner? Tru in FA?

@nwagoner: Yeah, I didn't report that Gaines is in the mix there because it's not true. In fact, he was getting first crack with the first-team defense opposite Janoris Jenkins in last week's OTAs. Jeff Fisher said back in March the two would be competing for the job and Johnson is still getting reps with the first unit as well. But I tend to think that Gaines will win the job on the outside with Jenkins on the other side.

The real question would then become whether the Rams want to move Gaines inside with Johnson outside in the nickel or just leave Gaines outside with Joyner in the slot. I tend to think the team prefers to have Gaines and Jenkins outside with Joyner in the slot and Johnson offering depth. We'll see how it plays out when the pads come on.

Derek Atkinson @Son_DeeRRF
I know you're limited by Rams but are the "changes" to the O significant, hyperbole, or just the amount of new faces

@nwagoner: Honestly, it's way too early to say what the extent of the changes are going to be. I've written about some of the wrinkles, including the possibility of more zone blocking. But as I wrote then, it seems they want to be able to mix those schemes in with some of the power stuff they run rather than some sort of overarching change. And for what it's worth, the offense already did mix power and zone, I just get the impression they want to do it a bit more now with Cignetti in charge. From talking to different guys on offense, it doesn't sound like it's going to be some drastic change, just some new wrinkles. And like you say, with so many new faces, especially a new coordinator, part of that is to be expected.

Jared Shipley @shipsbedown
How has Mo Alexander looked? I know he got 1st team reps with TJ McDonald and Barron hurt Think he plays outside of special teams?

@nwagoner: Again, I must add the caveat that these are OTAs and the players aren't in pads or playing real football, but Alexander hasn't looked lost when he's been in there for McDonald and Barron. I get the impression the Rams are pleased with how he's progressed. Remember, Alexander had almost no experience even using a backpedal before last season; he came in quite raw when it came to playing defensive back. So the Rams didn't seem to have big expectations for him right away. Barring further, more serious injuries to McDonald or Barron, I wouldn't expect Alexander's role to rise above special teams this year, but the reps with the first-team defense certainly don't hurt.

Justin Koski @koski_justin
What's going to be the #Rams biggest hurdle to finally break .500?

@nwagoner: I suppose saying the offense as a whole is too general. The defense and special teams should be good. The offense just has so many question marks among a new coordinator, new quarterback and three new offensive linemen. The offensive line, in particular, is the biggest question to me. Whether it's the two rookies projected to start, a new center, Rodger Saffold's injury history or Greg Robinson's learning curve, there's not really one spot that is completely settled at the moment. Paul Boudreau has his work cut out for him. He's done more with less in the past, but will need to do it again this time around.