Mailbag: Rams might use tag to keep one of their CB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams might use tag to keep one of their cornerbacks
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ight-use-tag-to-keep-one-of-their-cornerbacks

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

Ryan Moore @Indominuswreckx
@nwagoner #Ramsmail Do you see the Rams using the franchise tag on Jenkins or Johnson, so they guarantee they'll keep at least one of them?

@nwagoner: I'd say it's unlikely (though not out of the question) that the Rams would use the franchise tag on any of their pending free agents. If they did, Jenkins would be the better bet of the two to get it, but it's worth noting that they could be interested in using the transition tag to ensure control over one of the two starting corners. The Rams would be playing with fire if both corners hit the open market because they would then expose themselves to the possibility that they could lose both. I don't expect it to come to that and I still think the Rams would like to keep both Jenkins and Johnson, and there's zero doubt that they want to bring at least one of them back. How it all plays out will be fascinating, though, because both players performed well enough in 2015 to get a nice payday this offseason.

Shakir Adams @ramssided
@nwagoner Todd Gurly seems eager to replace Kobe as l.a.'s hero. Do you see any dangers in his desire to embrace such a role?

@nwagoner: For those that missed it, Todd Gurley appeared on SportsCenter during Super Bowl week and made a mostly joking reference to taking the mantle from Kobe Bryant as Los Angeles' preeminent superstar athlete. But trust me when I say that Gurley isn't preoccupied by such thoughts or ideas and he isn't going to let his fame in the nation's second-largest market change how he prepares. I've only been around Gurley for a year, but he's a humble young man who understands what it takes to succeed. One needs only to see how hard he worked to come back from his ACL injury and how emotional he was when he won the offensive rookie of the year award to understand that. If Gurley can ascend to L.A. superstar, it will come only as a result of his effort and production and not because he made some joking reference to it on television.

A55VA6

Legend
We might have to. Losing both Jenks and Tru would be devastating imo.. and the tag would guarantee one of them will be here next year.

~lyser

Rookie
I think you tag clamps and then work out a deal before the season. They probably will have too.

Course alot cheaper to tag a safety and they got both barron and mac to worry about.