Mailbag: Mike Groh charged with tough task: improving Rams pass game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mike Groh charged with tough task in improving Rams' pass game
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...d-with-tough-task-in-improving-rams-pass-game

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

Eric Litster ‎@elitster
Q: how much influence can Groh have on the young WR group? Can he develop them more so than Sherman? Thanks

@nwagoner: To be sure, Mike Groh is stepping into a difficult spot as he joins the Rams from the Bears. As the receivers coach and passing-game coordinator, Groh is charged with the tough task of elevating the Rams out of the basement in which they finished 2015 in most passing categories. The book on Groh is that he's a smart coach who has the ability to relate to younger players (in part because he's still fairly young himself at 44), and that will be welcome in the Rams receivers room. Whether that will translate into more production from the group goes beyond his ability to build those relationships. As the passing-game coordinator, it's also Groh's job to work with offensive coordinator Rob Boras to improve things schematically. That could mean simplifying things a bit further, as Boras attempted to do toward the end of last season. It also means trying to scheme receivers open in the passing game since none of the current wideouts have proved capable of creating separation on a consistent basis. Groh has a good reputation in league circles. It will be interesting to see what ideas he brings to the table.

Charles De La Rosa ‎@De_La_Tweet
Q: any word on what the Rams will do with Tre Mason? Do his recent legal troubles leave his spot on the team at Risk?

@nwagoner: Any time you do something that leads to the team sending out a release in which it expresses its disappointment in you, that's probably not a good sign. Tre Mason already hadn't done himself any favors last season when he missed the bus to the airport and was deactivated for the Baltimore game. On top of that, the second-year running back didn't play all that well in his limited opportunities in 2015, struggling with ball-security issues. As I wrote earlier this offseason, the Rams seemed to be a bit down on him as it was and that was before the incident in Florida. The Rams tendered Benny Cunningham and would like to keep him. If that happens and with Malcolm Brown coming back, there are no guarantees for Mason moving forward. It's worth seeing if he can get back on track, because he could be a pretty good complement to Todd Gurley. But it's fair to say he's got some proving to do moving forward.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm very pleased with the addition of Mike Groh, he's proven to be an excellent WR coach and let's face it, they could've added Roscoe Conkling "Fatty" Arbuckle as passing game coordinator and it's bound to be an improvement.

As to Tre Mason I was not a fan of drafting him because I don't like small backs, IMO, I truly believe Malcolm Brown could be a great back up to Ace Gurley, but I truly hope the youngster (Mason) can learn from his mistake(s) and become better for it.

jap

Legend
I'm very pleased with the addition of Mike Groh, he's proven to be an excellent WR coach and let's face it, they could've added Roscoe Conkling "Fatty" Arbuckle as passing game coordinator and it's bound to be an improvement.

As to Tre Mason I was not a fan of drafting him because I don't like small backs, IMO, I truly believe Malcolm Brown could be a great back up to Ace Gurley, but I truly hope the youngster (Mason) can learn from his mistake(s) and become better for it.

The only issue I have with Malcolm is that he needs to recognize holes/creases quicker and hit them in a timely manner. In his brief chances carrying the rock last season, he appeared to be late hitting the hole at times. However, this is just nitpicking, he's a youngster who just has to get used to the blocking schemes and recognizing where the defense is failing. He runs with good power and would be a an extra hammer to TGII's efforts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The only issue I have with Malcolm is that he needs to recognize holes/creases quicker and hit them in a timely manner. In his brief chances carrying the rock last season, he appeared to be late hitting the hole at times. However, this is just nitpicking, he's a youngster who just has to get used to the blocking schemes and recognizing where the defense is failing. He runs with good power and would be a an extra hammer to TGII's efforts.

I have concerns about his speed. That's not helping him hit those holes.

jap

Legend
I have concerns about his speed. That's not helping him hit those holes.

I don't think he is that fast, but he doesn't have to be. He simply needs to explode through those holes when they are there.

SJ used to be poor at hitting holes early in his career despite his great strength & decent speed for a big back. He used to run too tall and hesitate too often waiting for the hole to develop more. Consequently, smaller DB's could meet the tall striding SJ before he even reached the LOS and win the battle of leverage, driving him backwards!---it was so embarrassing to me!!! It wasn't until the Horns acquired RB Stephen Davis from the 'Skins in 2006 that SJ learned from SD how to hit the holes quickly, hard, & at the proper pad level. No DB's were able to win any leverage battles with SJ after SD showed him the ropes!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:shades:Did anyone else's heart stop for a moment when they read this headline, thinking Groh got into some trouble with the law?:bueller:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
climbers-top-yosemite-park-tm.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Groh has a good reputation in league circles. It will be interesting to see what ideas he brings to the table.

Groh's idea: "GET ME A MF'ING QB AND SOME WRS FOR THE LOVE OF F!"

PARAM

Hall of Fame
:shades:Did anyone else's heart stop for a moment when they read this headline, thinking Groh got into some trouble with the law?:bueller:

Well, he did get into trouble. He's being named as the guy who has to turn around the plight of the Rams passing game with Case Keenum as the incumbent QB and Jeff Fisher as head coach!!! He'd have an easier time turning around the plight of black rhino.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I wish Groh well, as you said I'm sure he'll be an improvement! If I may add, your showing your age, as I occasionally do by mentioning " Fatty Arbuckle"!! :rolllaugh::D

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Pulling for Groh to have influence in the draft. He needs some help in the draft for sure. A QB, WR, and TE relatively early would surely help. As far as Mason goes, the unfortunate incidents as of late are very ill timed. He was probably one of the players on the roster that could least afford any off-field troubles at this time. It doesn't look good for him.