Mailbag: Looking at next step for Rams in free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Looking at next step for Rams in free agency
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...king-at-the-next-step-for-rams-in-free-agency

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams, and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long-term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

WineGuyDavid ‎@WineguydavidCom
@nwagoner Snead said re-signing DB's was #1 priority. I would say he failed since we lost 2 starters. What's his next priority?

@nwagoner: There's no doubt the Rams were disappointed to lose Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod. Both were players they wanted back, though I believed (and wrote) that Mark Barron and William Hayes were highest on the priority list after the team put the franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson. So the Rams didn't completely fail in that they were able to keep three of their top five targets. They also probably had a good idea that they would lose the cornerback they didn't tag given what the market would bring and were prepared to do that given their depth at the position. Again, that's not to say that Jenkins' loss won't be felt. That's an important loss and we still need to see how E.J. Gaines bounces back from injury. McLeod's departure might be harder to cope with since solid free safeties who can play single-high coverage as much as he did are hard to find. I got the feeling his price just went beyond what the Rams were comfortable spending. As of Friday, the Rams had about $25 million in cap space with about $8-10 million of that set aside for a draft class and injury contingencies. We're also past the first wave of free agency, which means now is the time to find potential bargains and players with something to prove. It's how the Rams landed defensive tackle Nick Fairley last year. They have needs for depth all across the defense, and could use substantial help at quarterback, receiver and tight end. Given what's left on the market, the depth is more likely to be found than the substantial help. It's also possible the Rams could use some of that money to sign players they want to keep who aren't free agents yet, such as linebacker Alec Ogletree and defensive tackle Michael Brockers.

Victor Aldaco ‎@VAS039
@nwagoner between Joyner, Davis and Alexander, who do you see taking McLeod's spot? Or does it get filled early in the draft?

@nwagoner: The early read on this year's draft is that it actually has a pretty solid amount of free safety options, so it would seem that's probably the first place to look for a potential replacement for McLeod. I broke down the in-house and free-agent options the other day in this piece. Cody Davis is the closest thing to a true free safety on the roster, and it's possible they will take a look at him there. The thing the Rams have working for them is that defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is excellent at adapting to the players he has rather than trying to force square pegs into round holes. He can figure out the best 11 guys he has and figure out a way to get them on the field together. I don't get the impression that want to move Lamarcus Joyner based on head coach Jeff Fisher's comments in the past, though I suppose that could change. I'm sure they will be taking a long look at the draft prospects at that position over the course of the next month and a half.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know people are frustrated that there hasn't been any activity aside from signing our own players. Its not like we're returning a playoff team. But the way I see it, this is not a good year for free agents that can help us. And we need to limit the losses to free agency. We lost JJ and Rodney. But we have options there. Retaining Hayes, Barron and Sims was huge. One could argue that those players have more value to the team than the two we lost.

Look at what our shortcomings were last season. Was/is there anyone in free agency that can come in and shore that up? And what about next year's free agent class? Maybe we should concentrate on long term deals for Tru, Tree and Tavon.

Everyone loses players to free agency. That is life in the NFL. The good teams don't let their best players hit the market. We have some good ones we need focus on beyond this season.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I know people are frustrated that there hasn't been any activity aside from signing our own players. Its not like we're returning a playoff team. But the way I see it, this is not a good year for free agents that can help us. And we need to limit the losses to free agency. We lost JJ and Rodney. But we have options there. Retaining Hayes, Barron and Sims was huge. One could argue that those players have more value to the team than the two we lost.

Look at what our shortcomings were last season. Was/is there anyone in free agency that can come in and shore that up? And what about next year's free agent class? Maybe we should concentrate on long term deals for Tru, Tree and Tavon.

Everyone loses players to free agency. That is life in the NFL. The good teams don't let their best players hit the market. We have some good ones we need focus on beyond this season.
Not to mention ... if they don't spend away right now, they might have a good little chunk during the 2nd phase of FA after the draft .. .when better value might come open. Would be sweet if they could get Tru's deal done and free up a bit more.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We lost JJ and Rodney. But we have options there. Retaining Hayes, Barron and Sims was huge. One could argue that those players have more value to the team than the two we lost.
I understand your thought process and am certainly not ready to critique until it is all said and done. All this being said JJ and Mcleod were starters and the 3 we signed were role players. Yes Barron started but not until injury put him in the starting rotation. That leaves us with 2 starters out along with the 3 we let walk. We will have to wait and see before any of us will know for sure the effects of this years FA philosophy