Madden: Super Bowl loss to haunt Carroll forever

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...en-super-bowl-will-haunt-pete-carroll-forever

John Madden knows a little something about the psyche of NFL head coaches, and he thinks Seattle Seahawkscoach Pete Carroll will be living with some demons for a while.

"That will torment him forever," Madden told The Los Angeles Times. "Winning one game is hard. Getting to the Super Bowl is hard. Then getting that close and losing has to be tough, because we only remember the winners of the Super Bowl. One of the biggest gaps in sports is the difference between the winning and losing teams of the Super Bowl. They don't invite the losing team to the White House. They don't have parades for them. They don't throw confetti on them. Does it haunt you? Hell yes, it haunts you. I'm still haunted by some championship games."

Carroll has always portrayed himself as someone who can rise above and beyond the common mental hurdles we all face.

Unlike many coaches, he gives off the sense that he lives a truly robust life outside of football.

But Madden has been around the profession for decades and has seen the extreme wear and tear that the mental side of the game can take on coaches.

And Carroll has taken the blame for a puzzling goal line call completely on his shoulders. He didn't call out offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. He didn't call out his wide receivers.

So for now, history will be written with Carroll's name attached to what may very well be the worst offensive play call in Super Bowl history.

Regardless of his life outside of football, Madden is right. This one will sting.

From an outside perspective, it will be interesting to see how Carroll handles the first gut-check call of the 2015 season. While we have no doubt he'll bring Seattle back to the playoffs this year, the way he handles certain situations will be intriguing.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-24_23-11-34.gif
    upload_2015-5-24_23-11-34.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 166

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...en-super-bowl-will-haunt-pete-carroll-forever

John Madden knows a little something about the psyche of NFL head coaches, and he thinks Seattle Seahawkscoach Pete Carroll will be living with some demons for a while.

"That will torment him forever," Madden told The Los Angeles Times. "Winning one game is hard. Getting to the Super Bowl is hard. Then getting that close and losing has to be tough, because we only remember the winners of the Super Bowl. One of the biggest gaps in sports is the difference between the winning and losing teams of the Super Bowl. They don't invite the losing team to the White House. They don't have parades for them. They don't throw confetti on them. Does it haunt you? Hell yes, it haunts you. I'm still haunted by some championship games."

Carroll has always portrayed himself as someone who can rise above and beyond the common mental hurdles we all face.

Unlike many coaches, he gives off the sense that he lives a truly robust life outside of football.

But Madden has been around the profession for decades and has seen the extreme wear and tear that the mental side of the game can take on coaches.

And Carroll has taken the blame for a puzzling goal line call completely on his shoulders. He didn't call out offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. He didn't call out his wide receivers.

So for now, history will be written with Carroll's name attached to what may very well be the worst offensive play call in Super Bowl history.

Regardless of his life outside of football, Madden is right. This one will sting.

From an outside perspective, it will be interesting to see how Carroll handles the first gut-check call of the 2015 season. While we have no doubt he'll bring Seattle back to the playoffs this year, the way he handles certain situations will be intriguing.

t1c7767_mr-burns-excellent-mfgs0e.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Quite Frankly I don't think it will bother Pete Carroll one iota. He lost to Texas in the National Championship Game too and then went to the NFL to win a Super Bowl.

Carroll has had many setbacks in his life to protect him from this, it's not like he was successful at everything he touched and then this blew up in his face. No I wish Pete Carroll nothing but many losses to the Rams, however, I truly don't concur with Madden who always had Al Davis looking over his shoulder and remembered how Davis treated John Rauch after his Super Bowl loss.

That being posted I actually feared Jim Harbaugh more than Pete Carroll, IMO, Fisher matches up well against Pete or Repeat.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quite Frankly I don't think it will bother Pete Carroll one iota. He lost to Texas in the National Championship Game too and then went to the NFL to win a Super Bowl.

Carroll has had many setbacks in his life to protect him from this, it's not like he was successful at everything he touched and then this blew up in his face. No I wish Pete Carroll nothing but many losses to the Rams, however, I truly don't concur with Madden who always had Al Davis looking over his shoulder and remembered how Davis treated John Rauch after his Super Bowl loss.

That being posted I actually feared Jim Harbaugh more than Pete Carroll, IMO, Fisher matches up well against Pete or Repeat.

I don't know.

He's not coaching in the NFL for any reason other than to compete.

He was just a yard away from a 2nd title. A chance to build a legacy for himself as a multiple SB winning coach. A mini dynasty.

Instead, he's got a massive question mark overshadowing his coaching career with that play call.

No competitor would be happy about that. It's got to eat at him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No competitor would be happy about that. It's got to eat at him.

Every loss eats at you, but you can't change who you are and Pete Carroll has plenty of bravado and there is not enough mustard in California to cover that hot dog....I don't think it will change him, but that's JMHO.

BTW how close was Fisher to tying the Super Bowl and sending it into overtime?

iced

Every loss eats at you, but you can't change who you are and Pete Carroll has plenty of bravado and there is not enough mustard in California to cover that hot dog....I don't think it will change him, but that's JMHO.

BTW how close was Fisher to tying the Super Bowl and sending it into overtime?

lol good point but still a bit different - pete carroll could have easily ran the ball in with lynch with time to call multiple plays

Fisher was down to his final one

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
lol good point but still a bit different - pete carroll could have easily ran the ball in with lynch with time to call multiple plays

Fisher was down to his final one

Good point and Lynch could have fumbled one can't speculate.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Yep, that one is going to leave a mark. I was just saying...superbowl runner-up is the worst. This one is especially painful with all the second guessing on "the pass call".

And it is Delicious!!! Fuck the Seahawks.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apologies to Warren Zevon

I call the final play to score
Needing just a td to win
But I choose not to run no more
Poor, poor pitiful me

Poor, poor pitiful me
Poor, poor pitiful me
These NFL Teams won't let me be
Lord have mercy on me