M&M Boys Backing Up Goff…Exciting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've not seen enough of Goff or Mannion to say who's better...but then, isnt that what camp is about?

The obvious hope is that Goff is better, based on what they gave up to get him plus his draft position. Rams aren't going with an open competition unless he struggles and doesn't meet expectations. If he shows enough growth Mannion won't sniff the field outside of preseason, just how it works.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff will be getting 90% of first team snaps in OTA's & camp this season, not Keenum, ... pretty sure that will make a big, BIG difference.
I sure hope so cause those 7 games and preseason was not inspiring

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh....
This again
I get that some are concerned about Goff, its deserved. But trying to prop up Mannion as if he's ever done anything in the NFL, just boggles my mind.
The Rams over drafted him in 15, no big deal. After Winston and Mariota, all the QB were trash.
Goff hasn't done anything but lose so far. Mannion definitely outplayed him in the preseason with less practice and snaps in the offseason then Goff. We only got a couple le months left before preseason games. I can't wait to see how they both look

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surely you jest??? Mannion a reach in the 3rd round??? I don't agree...and he's far from "trash". The real overdraft was CLEARLY Goff.

There's no "propping up" of Mannion as you say...he needs to prop himself up and he'll get the opportunity. There are 3 QBs on the roster and Keenum is gone...obviously someone thinks Mannion can play. Count me among them.

Why Fisher never gave the kid a shot is beyond me...but what little we saw of him in preseason last year showed ability...and more than Goff up to that point.

Let's don't act as if Mannion had to ride the pine, because of the heat on Fisher due to what he gave up to get Goff...the real reach.

Both guys have ability...and I'm willing to let it play out. I'm for the best player...but at least Mannion gets a shot now.
Mannion was totally a reach in the 3rd round of that draft, the pick was a total head scratcher.
We'll see if he makes the team.
Goff may or may not be the answer, but one thing is for sure IMO, if Goff isn't the answer then the Rams are looking for a new QB next year. Mannion is nothing more than a younger Shaun Hill

rdw

Pro Bowler
Goff hasn't done anything but lose so far. Mannion definitely outplayed him in the preseason with less practice and snaps in the offseason then Goff. We only got a couple le months left before preseason games. I can't wait to see how they both look
I don't get the Mannion love in this thread. He's 2.5 years older than Goff and was in his second year as a pro and he showed next to nothing. If he was the QB of the future they wouldn't have traded up to draft Goff to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Mannion but to think he has anywhere near the ceiling as Goff is just wishful thinking IMO.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The obvious hope is that Goff is better, based on what they gave up to get him plus his draft position. Rams aren't going with an open competition unless he struggles and doesn't meet expectations. If he shows enough growth Mannion won't sniff the field outside of preseason, just how it works.
I don't think management cares who the high draft pick was, and I know I don't.

All I want is the quarterback situation fixed. I don't care who it is, I've got no skin in that game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree! I have never understood why a Team can't suit-up its entire Roster for a game!
Unless the league feels. One Team with a Practice squad with more 'O' Players, or more 'D' Players would give one team an unfair advantage over another. IDK.
I don't understand this either. Matter of fact, I think it is time for the rosters to grow to 55.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't get the Mannion love in this thread. He's 2.5 years older than Goff and was in his second year as a pro and he showed next to nothing. If he was the QB of the future they wouldn't have traded up to draft Goff to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Mannion but to think he has anywhere near the ceiling as Goff is just wishful thinking IMO.
I have to agree with you. I like Mannion too. When things are not going too well, it's easy to call for change and want a different QB in the game. But I think it should be clear by now the Rams had bigger problems last year than QB. I think it is clear Goff is the guy with the most upside and I think we are about to see it. That's not to say Mannion won't be a star someday but I think Goff will be much much better with the same time under his belt.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I still believe Goff was the sexy pick for the franchise to drum up even more interest during the move. He hasn't shown anything because he hasn't been able to show anything. But he looked way better then Goff last year. If Goff didn't benefit from having Fisher why can't the same be said about Mannion

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion was totally a reach in the 3rd round of that draft, the pick was a total head scratcher.
Goff may or may not be the answer, but one thing is for sure IMO, if Goff isn't the answer then the Rams are looking for a new QB next year. Mannion is nothing more than a younger Shaun Hill

Lol you don't think Mannion is going to make the team.. Mannion mental game is much better then Goff his accuracy his arm strength is all the same if not actually better then Goff. He reads defenses understand coverage schemes call plays and make line changes all things Goff hasn't shown the ability to do. All you can say about Goff is he has great footwork. That's all I heard when we always about to draft him. And that great footwork didn't lead to anything

rdw

Pro Bowler
I still believe Goff was the sexy pick for the franchise to drum up even more interest during the move. He hasn't shown anything because he hasn't been able to show anything. But he looked way better then Goff last year. If Goff didn't benefit from having Fisher why can't the same be said about Mannion
So Goff wasn't drafted because he was talented it was because they wanted to make a "splash"?
That's where I strongly disagree. Goff was an extremely talented college QB and was a top prospect not only by the Rams but others as well. Mannion on the other hand...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol you don't think Mannion is going to make the team.. Mannion mental game is much better then Goff his accuracy his arm strength is all the same if not actually better then Goff. He reads defenses understand coverage schemes call plays and make line changes all things Goff hasn't shown the ability to do. All you can say about Goff is he has great footwork. That's all I heard when we always about to draft him. And that great footwork didn't lead to anything
I'll just say, no not true at all.
Mannion has a weak arm, isn't accurate and has a wind up like a major league pitcher.
I wont argue with naysayers on Goff, until he proves otherwise he's open for criticism.
But Mannion has no shot to be a starter and I honestly dont know how you cant see that.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Goff wasn't drafted because he was talented it was because they wanted to make a "splash"?
That's where I strongly disagree. Goff was an extremely talented college QB and was a top prospect not only by the Rams but others as well. Mannion on the other hand...

Mannion was talent his smarts his throwing ability he got knocked for a slow release and for having a very bad team around him his senior year. For all that supposedly talent Goff had he looked like absolute crap minus one half against the saints.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey he threw a TD pas last year in limited action.
Of course it was to the other team but who's counting!

lol that's funny.. Goff did too though stupid sacks too many fumbles. Goff is a turnover machine

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll just say, no not true at all.
Mannion has a weak arm, isn't accurate and has a wind up like a major league pitcher.
I wont argue with naysayers on Goff, until he proves otherwise he's open for criticism.
But Mannion has no shot to be a starter and I honestly dont know how you cant see that.

Lol we already dispelled that myth of a weak arm. If his arm is weak so is Goff because they are essentially the same and Mannion accuracy is one of the best things about him. His delivery has also sped up evident by his preason performance

rdw

Pro Bowler
All this love for Mannion...

084.png

RamWoodie

Legend
What you have there is an OPINION...and naturally it's yours...BUT...lets go down memory lane and see some 2015 QB draft rankings:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nfl-draft-lance-zierleins-top-10-quarterbacks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nfl-draft-lance-zierleins-top-10-quarterbacks

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/...erback-rankings-jameis-winston-marcus-mariota

There's just a few to refresh you. Doesn't seem many felt Mannion was so much a reach.

Now, mi d you, I'm not saying Mannion is better than Goff...my point is Goff hasn't shown any more than Mannion!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Lol we already dispelled that myth of a weak arm. If his arm is weak so is Goff because they are essentially the same and Mannion accuracy is one of the best things about him. His delivery has also sped up evident by his preason performance

We know for certain. Mannion will be 2 as long as Goff is 1. I don't think Mannion is going anywhere he may be number 2 for us for a very long time unless Goff ends up not being what we thought he was. I am rooting for Goff to be the 1, but I also like Mannion, and I think he has all the tools mentally to be a starter someday, but needs to polish his tools physically.

**EDIT** Lets keep in mind these 2 have played under bad circumstances, I do see an argument but its two sided. Quite frankly both of them were robbed of their Rookie NFL development, now they are technically starting equally under a new staff with Greg Olson. To be fair this will be the real evaluation from here on out.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all know the depth chart. Goff is definitely the starter but Mannion is going to push him. Which should be a good thing