Luke Joeckel pick driven by Jaguars' prospect analytics

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
Find this article at: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000166668/article/luke-joeckel-pick-driven-by-jaguars-prospect-analytics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -analytics</a>

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: May 3, 2013 at 01:30 p.m.
Updated: May 3, 2013 at 03:12 p.m.

While the Buffalo Bills' analytics department might not be up and running yet, the Jacksonville Jaguars' number crunchers played a key role in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan's son, Tony, spearheads the analytics department that works hand-in-glove with the personnel department in prospect research.

In the case of rookie Luke Joeckel, the two departments reached the same conclusion -- for different reasons -- that the Texas A&M offensive tackle was the clear choice at No. 2 overall.

The Jaguars' scouts appreciated Joeckel's makeup, background, competitiveness and history versus top pass rushers from the Big 12 and Southeastern conferences. Tony Khan, on the other hand, produced data that suggested Blaine Gabbert was in the top third of NFL quarterbacks when given at least 2.6 seconds to throw.

"He had the passer rating broken down from where the quarterback had 2.6 seconds to throw to 2.5, the amount of pressure, the sacks we gave up, third-most in the league last year," general manager David Caldwell told NFL.com's Albert Breer. "We used a lot of the stuff Tony put together."

Even though the Jaguars already had a left tackle in Eugene Monroe, Khan pointed to a study by ProFootballFocus.com's Steve Palazzolo that revealed right tackles have become just as important as left tackles in today's NFL.

Although the NFL salary scale has yet to catch up with the trend, it's noteworthy that the first two players drafted last week currently are penciled in on the right side.

It's easy to see that the analytics department adds useful color, depth and background to scouting reports. As always will be the case with professional football, though, the numbers have to match up with the tape.

Something like the 2.6 seconds thing might apply to Bradford. I wonder what the analytics are for him?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I'm sure there are. The analytics were actually compiled in house by Shad Khans son, Tony Khan. They have an entire department devoted to that type of thing. It's the department of technology and analytics.

Football isnt like baseball. We wont see any "Moneyball" teams. There just aren't the statistics and it's harder to pinpoint individual's effect on a team(much more of a team sport). I wouldn't be opposed to the Rams create a similar department though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Now that would be a fun job.... running that dept for the Rams. But I think Snead is more about gut instincts and personal feel of a player. So, don't expect to see anything like that soon at Rams park.

Agamemnon

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stranger said:
Now that would be a fun job.... running that dept for the Rams. But I think Snead is more about gut instincts and personal feel of a player. So, don't expect to see anything like that soon at Rams park.
I think Demoff is getting into it. I believe he went to a conference on analytics.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm glad Khan didn't buy the Rams, having your son making football decisions reeks of Jay Zygmunt style management. Let football people make those decisions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HE WITH HORNS said:
I'm glad Khan didn't buy the Rams, having your son making football decisions reeks of Jay Zygmunt style management. Let football people make those decisions.

It kind of gives me the creeps too.

But, I don't think Tony Khan is making decisions. He's just a provider of data and analytics.

Hopefully the house that Khan built let's the football people use that data however they want.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
HE WITH HORNS said:

But, I don't think Tony Khan is making decisions. He's just a provider of data and analytics.

Hopefully the house that Khan built let's the football people use that data however they want.
What's the whole story with that analytics jazz they're employing over there? Do I need to look it up? Because I wasn't really all that invested in what the Jaguars do, so I didn't bother. Sounds like a version of money ball to me, only without the emphasis on the money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agamemnon said:
.... pointed to a study by ProFootballFocus.com's Steve Palazzolo that revealed right tackles have become just as important as left tackles in today's NFL.

Although the NFL salary scale has yet to catch up with the trend, it's noteworthy that the first two players drafted last week currently are penciled in on the right side.

......might apply to Bradford.

Snead & Fisher may be ahead of these team penciling top pass protectors in @ Offensive Right Tackles with the move of OLT Saffold to right? That fact may be pressed to Saffold by Boudreau in training camp & pre season. Just one of the big Ram 2013 seasons UNKNOWNS if Saffold can be a complete starting ORT for us with the right attitude.

As far as applying to Bradford ask why Run Blocking ORT's like Barry Richardson is no longer a Ram even excellent top ORT's like Clabo who are much more dominent as Run blockers than pass blockers just lost his job too & had to settle for a reduced one yr contract with the fins?

Yes I strongly agree with Palazzolo here in this case & we see the Rams front office already moving fast in this direction too. They by passed all the strong dominant RUN blocking ORT's in this draft did not want them & just egnored them. Said it late last week that (Bradford- ORT Saffold) are tied together on just how successful this 2013 season is.

Bradford got consistent heat from the left middle & outer right side of the OL. Richardson was very good @ run blocking & outstanding in staying healthy & on the field but his pass blocking effort @ ORT lost him his NFL job with the Rams. You give Sam the time where he is unmolested he will set the NFL on fire. We Ram fans know very well what we get when that does not happen.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I think the idea of Moneyball wouldn't work in the NFL, as all of the teams spend $100+ mil. on salaries. Revenue sharing, T.V. deals, etc. make it difficult to not turn a profit. Plus, with the rookie pay scale, a team could have good talent at cheap costs and be competitive.

In other leagues-I'm looking at you NBA and NHL- it isn't even worth fielding a team based on advanced analytics unless you spend like a mid-market team due to how revenue is split, IMO.

cnetboss

UDFA
I would agree with the young Khan's analysis as most of todays best pass rusher attacks the strongside (Julius Peppers, JJ Watt, Chris Long, ex-Steelers James Harrison). So protecting both sides would make sense.

cnetboss

UDFA
Agamemnon said:
Find this article at: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000166668/article/luke-joeckel-pick-driven-by-jaguars-prospect-analytics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -analytics</a>

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: May 3, 2013 at 01:30 p.m.
Updated: May 3, 2013 at 03:12 p.m.

While the Buffalo Bills' analytics department might not be up and running yet, the Jacksonville Jaguars' number crunchers played a key role in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan's son, Tony, spearheads the analytics department that works hand-in-glove with the personnel department in prospect research.

In the case of rookie Luke Joeckel, the two departments reached the same conclusion -- for different reasons -- that the Texas A&M offensive tackle was the clear choice at No. 2 overall.

The Jaguars' scouts appreciated Joeckel's makeup, background, competitiveness and history versus top pass rushers from the Big 12 and Southeastern conferences. Tony Khan, on the other hand, produced data that suggested Blaine Gabbert was in the top third of NFL quarterbacks when given at least 2.6 seconds to throw.

"He had the passer rating broken down from where the quarterback had 2.6 seconds to throw to 2.5, the amount of pressure, the sacks we gave up, third-most in the league last year," general manager David Caldwell told NFL.com's Albert Breer. "We used a lot of the stuff Tony put together."

Even though the Jaguars already had a left tackle in Eugene Monroe, Khan pointed to a study by ProFootballFocus.com's Steve Palazzolo that revealed right tackles have become just as important as left tackles in today's NFL.

It's easy to see that the analytics department adds useful color, depth and background to scouting reports. As always will be the case with professional football, though, the numbers have to match up with the tape.

Something like the 2.6 seconds thing might apply to Bradford. I wonder what the analytics are for him?

They where hoping this would enlighten Roger Saffold that LT and RT are basically the same function and if he plays well at RT he might get paid much better

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Dude said:
CGI_Ram said:
HE WITH HORNS said:

What's the whole story with that analytics jazz they're employing over there? Do I need to look it up? Because I wasn't really all that invested in what the Jaguars do, so I didn't bother. Sounds like a version of money ball to me, only without the emphasis on the money.

Eh...not really but kind of is the best answer I can give.