LT OR WR With The First Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robinson/Matthews OR Watkins With The First Pick

• Total voters

Ramifications

I've seen polls like this before, but a possible flaw in the polling is that the two LTs split votes. I'm curious if we consolidate the LT Robinson/Matthews votes, how the position would stack up against WR Watkins. As was pointed out in another thread, the result could vary greatly according to if the Rams trade down, and how far. As to a guideline, I do think they trade down, but no idea if 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8. Lets say 1.4 to make it interesting, everybody is avail, but Clowney is off the board.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I picked Watkins although I think Evans is a better fit for us. Watkins could still be a difference maker while the two OTs, in my opinion, would not improve our OL too much next year if Long is back and Barksdale continues to improve. In subsequent seasons, yes, either of those OTs stand to be Pro Bowlers but I'm all about the here and now at this juncture.

Flash

UDFA
What if no one is willing to trade up and you don't have a partner, who do you take at 2?

fearsomefour

Legend
What if no one is willing to trade up and you don't have a partner, who do you take at 2?
Good question. To me Watkins doesnt justify that pick, but, who knows? To me it would Clowney or the best LT. A guy who can either protect the QB or rush the passer for the next decade.

Flash

UDFA
Watkins is a nice player for sure. Such a deep draft at receiver though.

fearsomefour

Legend
I go T all day on this one. Hopefully we can trade down. I like some of the pieces at WR. Bailey, Austin and Quick....yes, I still like Quick. The physical talent is too great to bail after two years. Givens still could develop into a very solid WR if he ever decided he was not allergic to going across the middle. At T right now the Rams have Barksdale who is a FA next year and Long who is injured. Even if Long comes back 100%, and that is not for certain, the Rams have to either resign Barksdale or replace him. There is no depth at T behind those two to speak of (taking for granted Saffold moves on). T is an issue this year and next. With no talent developing behind our starters and our best T repairing his knee the need at T is so much greater than WR. At WR we have young talent that is developing.

Ramifications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good question. To me Watkins doesnt justify that pick, but, who knows? To me it would Clowney or the best LT. A guy who can either protect the QB or rush the passer for the next decade.

If I had no questions about Clowney I would say him at 1.2, despite his being the least obvious need. If I knew his head was right, I think the Calvin Johnson of DEs comparisons are accurate, athletically. But I do have questions.

So even if he is supposedly BPA, consensus scouting grades don't equate to being psychic or able to see into the heart, soul or spirit of a person. If he is a disappointment, it isn't on Mike Mayock (who I actually like a lot, curious to hear him weigh in later), Mel Kiper or Todd McShay, they won't get fired. So I would still take the player I picked at 1.4, which was Robinson. I LOVE Watkins, he is a sexier pick, but also a very substantive one, not doubt he would help weaponize Bradford, Austin, Cook, et al. And I will be ecstatic if we get him. But to grossly oversimplify, if Bradford is on his ass, or blows his knee or ankle or shoulder out again, that renders Sammy "Candy Man" Watkins moot. Maybe the OL is good enough, maybe it isn't (depending on who stays or goes, free agency, who else we add in the draft), but given how many problems there have been even predating Fisher, but also since, erring on the side of caution could be the smart play.

Robinson could be so versatile, possible Pro Bowl guard if he plays their initially (a lot of greats have, like Ogden?), could be an upgrade at RT and possible Pro Bowler there, injury insurance and heir apparent for Jake Long. Some question his pass pro, but that sounds like lack of opportunity due to schem at Auburn, and he has the requisite feet and athleticism (sounds like he hits secondary targets downfield) to be coached up. The NFC West is like the wood chipper scene in Fargo, Robinson plays physical, violent and angry but under control, and visions of him blowing SEA and SF Defensive Linemen off the ball gives me a good feeling. :)

All that said making a case for OL, here is a case where the poll format may fail me here. It would be very close, but not sure Matthews is as rare as Robinson, so in a BPA sense, but with Watkins not having the questions of Clowney earlier, I might sequence it Robinson, Watkins and Matthews. Matthews would also be a great choice, I have no problem with that. But Watkins IMO could be more rare and special in a pure BPA sense. I would like to see if Sherman can hang with Watkins in a full on 40 yard sprint, I have my doubts, and I think he is strong and physical enough to defeat NFL jams at the LOS. Fortunately, we will have a much better sense of the state of the OL by draft time (if not Jake Long's readiness for week one).

* Ultimately, I assign a low probability we don't trade down, too many QB needy teams.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I would go O line. To complete in the division the Rams are going to have to control the line of scrimmage. If they can't do that Wr won't matter.

Ramifications

In the other poll, I think Watkins won handily (Max could say). This poll, as I expected, is more evenly divided, as Robinson and Matthews aren't splitting the LT votes.

I'm pretty sure Clowney was in that poll, as well, so none of those votes will be siphoned off.

Ramifications

This negates the OLB, LB or QB options.

I don't see them as being as big of a need.

This was mostly to resolve the question in my mind how the earlier poll would have gone IF the LTs hadn't split votes. My recollection is the primary vote getters were the three listed here (though perhaps LBs Barr and Mack also split votes at the LB position?).

You can always set up your own poll/thread. Just don't expect a lot of votes for QB. :)

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
People you got to remember, Watkins is good but still has not received the AJ Green grade. And for what its worth I prefer Greg Robinson. Year one he starts at LG paired w/ Long blowing shit up folks!!!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't see them as being as big of a need.

This was mostly to resolve the question in my mind how the earlier poll would have gone IF the LTs hadn't split votes. My recollection is the primary vote getters were the three listed here (though perhaps LBs Barr and Mack also split votes at the LB position?).

You can always set up your own poll/thread. Just don't expect a lot of votes for QB. :)

I see. Thanks. I am not going to start a tread about drafting a QB. It seems to be a touchy subject....

Stay the course!!! Stay the course!!!

Ramifications

People you got to remember, Watkins is good but still has not received the AJ Green grade. And for what its worth I prefer Greg Robinson. Year one he starts at LG paired w/ Long blowing shit up folks!!!!

Green and "straight to" Julio* are the best since Calvin. I agree he is not in that class (Green has the most receptions ((260?)) in his first three years in league history), but Watkins appears to be graded higher than any other WRs since them (except maybe the troubled Blackmon), including Pro Bowl caliber Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas, as well as Michel Floyd.

* Julio ominously broke the same foot in 2013 he did in the 2011 pre-draft process.

Ramifications

I see. Thanks. I am not going to start a tread about drafting a QB. It seems to be a touchy subject....

Stay the course!!! Stay the course!!!

I didn't mean a thread devoted to Bradford sucking (cue up Biblical stoning or Spanish Inquisition scenes). :)

Just a broader poll if you want to include your LB and QB options, in addition to LT and WR. Or maybe not.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I didn't mean a thread devoted to Bradford sucking (cue up Biblical stoning or Spanish Inquisition scenes). :)

Just a broader poll if you want to include your LB and QB options, in addition to LT and WR. Or maybe not.

If we trade down we can get one of each. :D

Voted LT and of the two I'm edging towards Robinson, if we needed a 16 game day 1 starter at LT I'd go for Matthews, just think Robinson will be the better LG immediately and will develop into a very good LT given time.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

You can't cue that up, because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition! (Insert ominous music here)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oline is the greater need.

But, I hope this is the last year we are within reach for a playmaker like Watkins.

Watkins gets my vote.