Love is in the Air: A Valentine's Memento Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here goes an effort at another mock offseason!

Cut:

Tavon Austin.

(I love Tavon as a player and a person, but the fact of the matter is that he simply costs too much. I know that I didn't mention Barron, but he'll be dealt with later.)

Re-sign:

Aaron Donald - six years, fifteen million per year.
Lamarcus Joyner - five years, eight million per year.
Nickell Robey-Coleman - five years, five million per year.
Jake McQuaide - two years - two million per year.
Cody Davis - one year - one million.
Cornelius Lucas - one year, veteran minimum.
Troy Hill - ERFA
Malcolm Brown - ERFA
Matt Longacre - RFA

(This assumes that we can sign Joyner, NRC, and Donald, but let Tru and Watkins go. McQuaide is obvious, Lucas provides cheap depth, Davis is easier to re-sign than replace, and the rest are under team control.)

Free Agent Signings

Weston Richburg, five years, 7.5 million per year.
Richard Sherman, three years, 8 million per year.
Dontari Poe, two years. 5 million per year.
Navorro Bowman, two years, 5 million per year.

(Richard Sherman to the Rams? It could be likely that he is a cap casualty. Seattle's loss is our gain, and we gain a solid press-man cornerback. Richburg remains my free agent priority. Poe - someone whom I pounded the table for in the 2012 draft before we took Brockers - is a dominant nose tackle who would wreak havoc in our system. Also, I've jumped on the Navorro Bowman bandwagon!)

Trade:

Robert Quinn to the New York Jets for their 2018 second round pick.

(This trade was jrry's idea, so I'm going to borrow it for a moment (only reason it's not linked to him is because it literally restarted this mock, like, a dozen times before now.) Anyway, the Jets need everything. Quinn is talented, but not a fit in our 3-4. We do this deal.)

Mark Barron to the Pittsburgh Steelers for their 2018 third round pick.

(Ryan Shazier may never be the same after his tragic spinal injury. Mark Barron fills a need for the Steelers, and they'll likely fall in love with his skillset.)

Rams 1st round pick to the Cleveland Browns for two second round picks (Texans and Eagles).

(Vea and Payne are gone by the time we pick, so we trade down for Cleveland's other two second round picks, while they go select a player they really like (I'm assuming a wide receiver like Sutton.)

Ethan Westbrooks to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their 2018 fourth round pick.

(Westbrooks no longer has a spot in our system due to Poe filling in at nose tackle. Tampa has a desperate need for defensive line help, particularly at end. Enter Westbrooks.)

Draft:

2nd (Texans) - Tim Settle, NT, Virginia Tech.

(Settling on Settle? Maybe. But I like the kid. Not as much as Vea or Payne, but he's a great prospect. Very athletic for his size. Built like a tank. Good pass-rusher, better run-stuffer. He'll back up Poe until he's ready to take the reins.)

2nd (Jets) - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia.

I thought that our running game mostly struggled when Gurley went out. Here the rich get richer. Michel is a breakaway threat any time he touches the ball. He'll give Gurley a breather, and he'll also get reps as a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. Maybe he even takes Tavon's role?)

2nd (Eagles) - Hercules Mata'afa, OLB, Washington State.

(Mata'afa is a kid I really like the more I watch him. He could definitely go higher than this, but right now, he's a second round pick, in my mind. Like his namesake, he's ridiculously strong. He played defensive tackle at Washington State, and he was rarely overpowered. He'll be an excellent fit as the SAM starter.)

3rd - Shaquem Griffin, ILB/OLB, UCF.

(Everyone here knows his story. I really want him for his ability on the field. He has instincts, breath-taking speed, and the ability to make splash plays as well as everything else. I like him to back up Bowman and later take his place.)

3rd (Steelers) - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan.

(Very athletic left tackle type. There are things that turn a team off. Is he a little soft? Yeah. Does he have problems with technique. Yeah. But does he have the ability to correct them? I say yes. I also say that he eventually takes over for Whitworth after learning from the All-Pro how to learn in the NFL.)

4th (Buccaneers) - Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame.

(Aside from having an awesome name, St. Brown is a gifted wide receiver. Tall, runs like a gazelle, deep threat, redzone threat. The reason he's going later is because he had no production while he was at Notre Dame. I feel that he'll be a better pro than college player.)

4th - Holton Hill, CB, Texas.

(Hill is a huge cornerback at 6'3" who immediately reminds me of Tru. He sticks on a receiver like glue. Scouts say that he's immature and has technical errors that need to be corrected. I like the tape on him against James Washington of Oklahoma State.)

5th - J.C. Jackson, CB, Maryland.

(Jackson is an athletic cover corner who has size, ball skills, and the ability to effectively erase a wide receiver. Why is he here? Because he has serious off-the-field issues, including an arrest for armed robbery while he played for Florida. He transferred to Maryland, and has been clean ever since, but it could cost him in the draft. Still, he'll join a strong locker room and a strong coaching staff, so he could be worth rolling the dice on.)

6th (Lions) - Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut.

(Fatukasi is extremely raw, but just as talented. He's the type of player you try to stash on your roster somehow and let him learn the ropes behind a veteran coaching staff. He could very well go earlier than this, though.)

6th (Bills) - Olasunkamni Adeniyi, OLB, Toledo.

(Adeniyi is a smaller end who fits in a 3-4. He put up monster stats for Toledo, notching twenty tackles for a loss, twelve sacks, and three forced fumbles. He may not be the athletic type, but he could be a solid backup for years.)

6th - Nic Shimonek, QB, Texas Tech.

(Here's a backup quarterback to roll the dice on. Shimonek really stood out at the East/West Shrine game, and he's the type of quarterback who could make a living as a backup. He can make all the throws and throws well on the run. His problem is accuracy. But as a backup, you can't go wrong with him.)

Team Construction. (bold - starter, italic - rookie, underline - free agent.)

QB - Jared Goff, Sean Mannion, Nic Shimonek.
RB, Todd Gurley, Sony Michel, Malcolm Brown, Sam Rogers.
TE - Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway.
WR - Robert Woods, Josh Reynolds, Cooper Kupp, Mike Thomas, Pharoh Cooper, Equanimeous St. Brown.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, Weston Richburg, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Chukwuma Okorafor, Austin Blythe, Jake Eldrenkamp, Cornelius Lucas.)
DL - Aaron Donald, Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers, Tanzel Smart, Tim Settle, Folorunso Fatukasi, Morgan Fox.
LB - Samson Ebukam, Alec Ogletree, Navorro Bowman, Hercules Mata'afa, Shaquem Griffin, Cory Littleton, Matt Longacre, Olasunkamni Adeniyi, Ejuan Price.
DB - Richard Sherman, Kayvon Webster, Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson III, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Holton Hill, J.C. Jackson, Cody Davis, Troy Hill/Kevin Peterson/Marqui Christian/Blake Countess.
K - Greg Zuerlein
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an interesting take, Memento. However, the trades are too lopsided in our favor, and I don't think there's much of a chance that we get Donald that cheap. I also think the Sherman contract is too cheap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think Sherman's big outspoken mouth fits this new Rams image. If they did this, then I may be forced to choose a new team.

You should be banned from this forum for even suggesting such a thing!!

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I love it except for keeping Webster as a starting CB. I just don't think he's that good.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ethan Westbrooks to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their 2018 fourth round pick.

(Westbrooks no longer has a spot in our system due to Poe filling in at nose tackle. Tampa has a desperate need for defensive line help, particularly at end. Enter Westbrooks.)
Why not keep Westbrooks so we have great rotational depth!!? Like Philly does!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Doesn't Sherman just play one side of the field which would leave Webster facing off against the #1 receivers fairly often ? Sherman benefits from his DB team-mates and the system in Seattle, now ... if we also kept Tru, then I could better see it as a viable ploy, but alone, no thanks. jmo.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's an interesting take, Memento. However, the trades are too lopsided in our favor, and I don't think there's much of a chance that we get Donald that cheap. I also think the Sherman contract is too cheap.

Fair enough. Twenty million for Donald and ten million for Sherman. And I'm wondering if there's a trade opportunity in any of them, except less lopsided.

I don't think Sherman's big outspoken mouth fits this new Rams image. If they did this, then I may be forced to choose a new team.

You should be banned from this forum for even suggesting such a thing!!

The lack of blue font on your last sentence scares me. Do you really want me banned for this?

Anyway, I'm not as against Sherman as you are. Better him than, say, Talib, who has actual characters flaws? Sherman is outspoken, but he's never been so much as arrested before, unlike Talib.

I love it except for keeping Webster as a starting CB. I just don't think he's that good.

I'm hoping that Webster can show up as a number two cornerback. He was playing quite well before his injury. And it doesn't have to be forever: just until Hill and Jackson prove themselves.

Why not keep Westbrooks so we have great rotational depth!!? Like Philly does!

Westbrooks is an unrestricted free agent next year, I believe. I like him as a nose tackle, but we've got Poe, Settle and possibly Omarius Bryant ready to play next year at the same position. I don't think Westbrooks is a fit, to be honest.

Doesn't Sherman just play one side of the field which would leave Webster facing off against the #1 receivers fairly often ? Sherman benefits from his DB team-mates and the system in Seattle, now ... if we also kept Tru, then I could better see it as a viable ploy, but alone, no thanks. jmo.

That's true that he plays only the left side, but he locks that side down completely. I don't even think it's all Seattle's system and players; I think Sherman is just that good, in his own right. It's true that Webster is facing whomever plays on his side, but with Joyner shadowing the player, I think that our defense could very well be awesome. And don't count out the cornerbacks, even though they're fourth and fifth round picks: they have first round skillsets.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
2nd (Eagles) - Hercules Mata'afa, OLB, Washington State.

tenor.gif

I'm with @Dieter the Brock and some of the others on little dick Sherman. Just can't handle his act.

Having said that, it looks like you put together a pretty competitive team. (I have to declare ignorance on most of these guys) Thanks for posting!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's and I'm late to the party I would have concerns starting two CB coming off of Achilles Injuries.

Memento

Name
Jemma
You lost me at Dick

I'll say this again: I prefer him over Talib. I can see why you don't like him, though.

View attachment 23963

I'm with @Dieter the Brock and some of the others on little dick Sherman. Just can't handle his act.

Having said that, it looks like you put together a pretty competitive team. (I have to declare ignorance on most of these guys) Thanks for posting!

Fair enough. I hope that I've crafted a competitive team; why else do the mocks? :D

FWIW's and I'm late to the party I would have concerns starting two CB coming off of Achilles Injuries.

That's very much true, but Sherman should be healthy after this year. My only concern is with Webster, but even if he's not healthy starting out the year, one of the rookie corners should be able to produce, and if not them, then Hill/Peterson should get starting reps.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think almost all of the free agent signings are too cheap.
D Poe, who I want too, for $5 M a year?
More like $10 per year.
I think Gaines will cost about $10 per year to keep or could tag him.
I'd rather resign Davis at $3M per year than over pay a long snapper. Overlaying a long snapper means anything more than minimum.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think almost all of the free agent signings are too cheap.
D Poe, who I want too, for $5 M a year?
More like $10 per year.
I think Gaines will cost about $10 per year to keep or could tag him.
I'd rather resign Davis at $3M per year than over pay a long snapper. Overlaying a long snapper means anything more than minimum.

Good points. Poe was coming off of a back injury, last time I checked. Maybe he could cost eight or nine million a year? I'm not sure who Gaines is either? Unless you mean Sherman, and like jrry said, maybe pay him ten million per year and Donald twenty million per year. And McQuaide deserves at least two million per year for his work. He's arguably the best long-snapper in the league. You may call it overpaid, but I'd rather have a great long-snapper and maybe not sign Davis than sign Davis and start from scratch.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good points. Poe was coming off of a back injury, last time I checked. Maybe he could cost eight or nine million a year? I'm not sure who Gaines is either? Unless you mean Sherman, and like jrry said, maybe pay him ten million per year and Donald twenty million per year. And McQuaide deserves at least two million per year for his work. He's arguably the best long-snapper in the league. You may call it overpaid, but I'd rather have a great long-snapper and maybe not sign Davis than sign Davis and start from scratch.
LOL....my dopey mind thought Joyner and my fingers typed Gaines....don't know why.
Poe played pretty well this year. If he was injured late that may lower his price.
Almost all of the long snappers that last literally have no bad snaps. Bad as in it goes shooting over the guys head. McQuade is remarkable as his usually don't even vary left to right very much. He also provides good coverage on punts. I'm sure he will be resigned.

Memento

Name
Jemma
LOL....my dopey mind thought Joyner and my fingers typed Gaines....don't know why.
Poe played pretty well this year. If he was injured late that may lower his price.
Almost all of the long snappers that last literally have no bad snaps. Bad as in it goes shooting over the guys head. McQuade is remarkable as his usually don't even vary left to right very much. He also provides good coverage on punts. I'm sure he will be resigned.

Joyner? That's the guy I'd maybe tag in hopes of getting a long-term deal done. Loved Joyner in college, love him more in the pros.

Poe did play very well. I'm not sure if the back issue flared up or not. Even so, nose tackles don't tend to get paid much. I'd love to pay him eight or nine million if he's healthy. Because if he's healthy, with Donald and Brockers on either side and maybe a young nose tackle like Settle waiting in the wings, this could be a dominant defensive line.

Right. McQuaide is definitely worth re-signing.