Lots of talk of trading up... but, why not stand still?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I have contributed on another board that many here are familiar with, but now largely choose to remain silent and read what others have to say. I thought I would share my thoughts on drafting a QB and welcome criticism, angst and views (and promise to take it in good grace)

There is a big reason we should wait... we hold two high second picks that together equal pick 18 (looking at the trade value chart). We can come out of this draft with Lynch and in all probability one of the top two rated WRs on our board (I prefer Treadwell). Alternatively, we could trade our 2nd and 3rd to move up for the center from Alabama, then target a WR with our pick from the Eagles (Boyd, Thomas or the underrated Sterling Shepard - reminds me of Greg Jennings coming out)

There are four QBs in this draft who will (almost certainly) go on to start for their respective teams. Who has the most success is extremely hard to predict, but will be influenced by the team that drafts them and the talent surrounding them (both offensively and defensively)

Take Ben Roethlisberger, his scouting report included the usual list of negatives, such as did not play under centre, level of competition, needs time to adjust etc. with positives such as - has everything you look for in a franchise quarterback. He’s got the big arm, but he also has excellent accuracy (69.1%) and nice touch. He is a pure pocket passer with excellent size and he moves around in the pocket well. He also has great escapability, often making the first defender miss. He also throws with incredible accuracy on the run… especially for a player his size.

Is it me or does Ben sound like a certain QB from Memphis? Who when watching his film shows all the same traits - including being a gamer against tougher competition. Ben joined the Steelers, a team with a great running game, special teams and defense. He also had a great OL when he first came into the league, who kept him upright and opened big holes in the running game... What happens next? Ben starts in his rookie year and helps (not leads) the team to the playoffs - as a game manager. He then goes on to develop into a top tier QB and future hall of faimer. Circumstance had a lot to do with Ben's growth, but the talent was clearly already there

I am suggesting we should not sell the house, we can be patient and see what happens with the top two QBs (Wentz and Goff or Goff and Wentz). If one drops into short range then we should consider trading up to avoid another team leapfrogging us, but myself, I would wait until pick 15, where I would happily take Lynch, confident he can grow into a starter, with the talent to possibly ignite the LA Rams for years to come. I like Goff, then Wentz, but would not bet against Lynch having a better record in 5 years, because he will almost certainly be picked by a better team.

For much the same reasons, just not as much (unlike many here) I also like Cook... if your interested why, read these two excellent articles...Remember, he was once touted to go 1st pick and had an excellent final season...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-co...o-michigan-state-s-greatest-qb-234108282.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-teams-make-brady-like-mistake-cook/81035150/

Thanks for reading, comments welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Two Reasons for trading up:
0ap3000000637944_video_player_cp--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know if Lynch or the top 2 rated WR will be there. We also don't know if Lynch will be as good as the top two options at QB. Couple that with the fact that the most important position in the offense, even a run centric offense, is the QB and you want the best you can get at that position. Hence the desire by most Rams fans to trade up to get either Goff or Wentz whichever would be their preference.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paxton Lynch isn't close to the prospect that Roethlisberger was.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paxton Lynch isn't close to the prospect that Roethlisberger was.
Actually if you go back and read Ben's draft profile there are a lot of similarities. Ben has a better arm for sure but they are somewhat alike. I'm not saying Lynch will be the next Ben but they do have some similarities. TBH he doesn't have to be Ben to be successful or a good QB for the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The QB who's much closer in talent level to Big Ben is Wentz. Except Wentz played in a Pro system and is significantly smarter and more mobile...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually if you go back and read Ben's draft profile there are a lot of similarities. Ben has a better arm for sure but they are somewhat alike. I'm not saying Lynch will be the next Ben but they do have some similarities. TBH he doesn't have to be Ben to be successful or a good QB for the Rams.
Big Ben was completely in charge of Miami O's offense. Audibled often. Read defenses. Lynch is the polar opposite.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Lynch is not proven and makes some bad decisions, in addition he doesn't really lead the offense and check audible like ben did and does now. I say go after goff or wentz if you can, if not get Coleman or Treadwell. Poor keenum might get screwed again, but you cant trust Snead because if there's an opportunity he will capitalize on it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For a current Ram team without NFL grade level starting #1 WR, a starting pass catching TE, a starting FS, a big question mark @ the pass rushing right DE (Quinn's health), no reserve NT, & lacking decent reserve WR's then add in that Rams have lurking even more future starting UFA's departures in 2017 & 2018 .......why :thinking:would you gamble :huh:& trade away a good amount of priceless high draft wealth for one unknown possible NFL QB commodity:death:?

I would use the current priceless draft wealth to fill in the above mentioned holes & keep this team moving forward into be in advanced position to combat those soon to be UFA vacancies & use the newly talented drafted low cheap salary cap hits players in-order to secure stars like Brockers/ Ogletree/ McDonald/ Johnson/ Austin/ Donald & others instead of loosing most of them.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For a current Ram team without NFL grade level starting #1 WR, a starting pass catching TE, a starting FS, a big question mark @ the pass rushing right DE (Quinn's health), no reserve NT, & lacking decent reserve WR's then add in that Rams have lurking even more future starting UFA's departures in 2017 & 2018 .......why :thinking:would you gamble :huh:& trade away a good amount of priceless high draft wealth for one unknown possible NFL QB commodity:death:?

I would use the current priceless draft wealth to fill in the above mentioned holes & keep this team moving forward into be in position to combat those soon to be UFA vacancies & use the low cheap salary cap hits to secure stars like Brockers/ Ogletree/ McDonald/ Johnson/ Austin/ Donald & others.
Because:
1) you don't need a so called #1 to be a playoff team.
2) Lance Kendricks
3) LaMarcus Joy Reid and Cody Davis
4) Quinten Coples
5) Wothington and Trinca-Pasat
6) a good QB can make mediocre WRs better.
7) draft and free agency in 2017&2018
8) if we keep trotting out backup quality QBs will we go anywhere with all pro WRs, TE, and all the depth in the world?

One thing that people seem to forget or just choose to ignore is what happened the last time Snead traded up. With his next pick he traded back to recoup some of the picks he sent to move up! So he trades one of our 2nds and a 4th to move up. He then trades down with the other 2nd and picks up a 3rd. Then he trades down with one of the thirds and picks up a 4th or 5th and what do you know we're back at our original number of picks!

view;_ylt=AwrTcXvX3QNXvDoAVACKnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIyb2Q5Nmh0BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM5NDVmZGEzZTAyNmI3NTEyOTY1OGFiOGZhY2QwYTk3ZARncG9zAzMEaXQDYmluZw--

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also you talk about one unknown possible QB commodity but ignore that every draft pick is an unknown commodity. You imply by isolating the QB that the other picks will work out which isn't the case at all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Also you talk about one unknown possible QB commodity but ignore that every draft pick is an unknown commodity. You imply by isolating the QB that the other picks will work out which isn't the case at all.
Are you comparing the QB position to the rest of the starting 21 positions?

I would never get into that argument/discussion trying to compare the unbelievable demands made of a rookie or even a 2nd yr QB to that of a rookie starting WR or TE.

So to me its comparing apples to oranges. IMO the returns from the other positions is not the same universe with that QB starting position. I would prefer taking the much safer less disastrous route.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
By most reports Lynch is going to need more time to develop than Goff and Wentz.
Here is a quote from a bleacher report article. It is a solid in depth article. Lynch has to be considered by the Rams. I prefer Goff who is considered the most NFL ready and then Wentz ahead of Lynch The key is to get one of them. Snead knows how to wheel and deal at draft time. The writers opinion is clear that Lynch would need a longer time than the others to beome a NFL Starter. Do the Rams have the time to wait? It seems like go time to get a franchise QB and the sooner he is ready the better. It will come down to what Snead and the Rams are willing to part with to get one of the three. It's not a giventhat Lynch will be available @15. Too many possibilities to judge which way to go without the cost in draft picks in front of me. I do think the Rams have the talent on the roster to give up draft picks to get Wentz or Goff. I'm not sure of the price at this point.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-beware-on-memphis-quarterback-paxton-lynch

---------Lynch has the size that scouts dream of, and his breakout 2015 campaign was encouraging for his outlook. He shows a natural comfort in the pocket that most quarterbacks can only fantasize about. His best plays strike up images of a young Roethlisberger.

Lynch's upside is significant, and it's why he’s been projected as a top-10 pick. But we cannot overlook the obvious weaknesses to his game, either. He’ll need at least a year to refine his footwork and then adjust to an NFL playbook. The jump from the AAC to the NFL is steep.

Finding the best fit for Lynch is relatively easy, but he has a major buyer-beware sticker on his projection. Taking Lynch in the top half of the first round sets a high expectation that he will be a franchise quarterback at some point in his rookie contract. While he may get there, don’t expect that climb to come until the latter part of a five-year deal.

hi-res-3a94b2350ce9caf0d1604607c5c50d48_crop_exact.jpg

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images
In comparison to recent prospects, Lynch falls between Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler. Tannehill and Lynch both excel on short and intermediate passes, and they use their mobility. But Tannehill improved quickly despite limited experience in college, and he seems to be, at worst, an average NFL quarterback. Osweiler has struggled when he’s played, but he needs more time to prove whether or not he can develop.

The top-10 hype on Lynch is simply too much. Dallas, with the No. 4 pick, is the only team drafting that high that should even consider him. The Cowboys offer a rare situation in which Lynch can develop. But it might be wiser to draft Goff, who is clearly the better quarterback prospect.

Lynch has franchise quarterback potential, but it’ll take a few years. If he’s afforded the time, he can greatly reward an organization. But the growing pains he will have may resemble those from his collegiate experience, which quickly peaked once things started clicking.
stats used are from sports-reference.com.

Ian Wharton is an NFL Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report. -----------------------------------------------

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am suggesting we should not sell the house, we can be patient and see what happens with the top two QBs (Wentz and Goff or Goff and Wentz). If one drops into short range then we should consider trading up to avoid another team leapfrogging us, but myself, I would wait until pick 15, where I would happily take Lynch, confident he can grow into a starter, with the talent to possibly ignite the LA Rams for years to come. I like Goff, then Wentz, but would not bet against Lynch having a better record in 5 years, because he will almost certainly be picked by a better team.

For much the same reasons, just not as much (unlike many here) I also like Cook... if your interested why, read these two excellent articles...Remember, he was once touted to go 1st pick and had an excellent final season...

I think your suggestion of waiting at 15 is most likely to be the Rams approach. From there if Goff or Wentz slide lower than expected, then they may elect to move up due to the lighter cost of trade. I think they would be happy with Lynch though. He throws a very nice deep ball, and fits what the Rams do with movement and whatnot. And they won't mind redshirting him.

My take on Cook is he comes with some extra risk. In that pro offense for as long as he was in it the guy should have dazzled teams on the board but he reportedly did not. He should have better mechanics too, instead of a back foot that is all over the place and footwork in general that screw up his accuracy. Some team might make out well with him if they can fix those things, but is that a good fit for the Rams? I don't know man. If the Rams take him I'll cross my fingers and root for him, but he really concerns me.

I'll say this too... It would not surprise me if the Rams took 2 QBs in this draft. It's deep and there will be some good prospects to take a flyer on come round 4 and 6. I could see them doing that, maybe even as a consolation for if they don't go QB early. Something like Hogan and Doughty with a couple picks in the round 2-4 range. Gonna be interesting how it plays out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you comparing the QB position to the rest of the starting 21 positions?

I would never get into that argument/discussion trying to compare the unbelievable demands made of a rookie or even a 2nd yr QB to that of a rookie starting WR or TE.

So to me its comparing apples to oranges. IMO the returns from the other positions is not the same universe with that QB starting position. I would prefer taking the much safer less disastrous route.
I'm saying no draft pick regardless of position, college or any other factor is a sure thing. We all know the demands on a QB are greater than the other positions. But Treadwell isnt less of an unknown than Wentz because of the position.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think 15 is a bit of a no mans land, I'd like to see us trade down some. I think we could trade down and still have the option of Cook or Lynch at the bottom of round 1. To be honest, they're very different QBs with different talents and different deficits but I don't think "statistically" they're very much different in the chance of becoming a franchise QB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have contributed on another board that many here are familiar with, but now largely choose to remain silent and read what others have to say. I thought I would share my thoughts on drafting a QB and welcome criticism, angst and views (and promise to take it in good grace)

There is a big reason we should wait... we hold two high second picks that together equal pick 18 (looking at the trade value chart). We can come out of this draft with Lynch and in all probability one of the top two rated WRs on our board (I prefer Treadwell). Alternatively, we could trade our 2nd and 3rd to move up for the center from Alabama, then target a WR with our pick from the Eagles (Boyd, Thomas or the underrated Sterling Shepard - reminds me of Greg Jennings coming out)

There are four QBs in this draft who will (almost certainly) go on to start for their respective teams. Who has the most success is extremely hard to predict, but will be influenced by the team that drafts them and the talent surrounding them (both offensively and defensively)

Take Ben Roethlisberger, his scouting report included the usual list of negatives, such as did not play under centre, level of competition, needs time to adjust etc. with positives such as - has everything you look for in a franchise quarterback. He’s got the big arm, but he also has excellent accuracy (69.1%) and nice touch. He is a pure pocket passer with excellent size and he moves around in the pocket well. He also has great escapability, often making the first defender miss. He also throws with incredible accuracy on the run… especially for a player his size.

Is it me or does Ben sound like a certain QB from Memphis? Who when watching his film shows all the same traits - including being a gamer against tougher competition. Ben joined the Steelers, a team with a great running game, special teams and defense. He also had a great OL when he first came into the league, who kept him upright and opened big holes in the running game... What happens next? Ben starts in his rookie year and helps (not leads) the team to the playoffs - as a game manager. He then goes on to develop into a top tier QB and future hall of faimer. Circumstance had a lot to do with Ben's growth, but the talent was clearly already there

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-co...o-michigan-state-s-greatest-qb-234108282.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-teams-make-brady-like-mistake-cook/81035150/

Thanks for reading, comments welcome

Why not stand pat at 15? If the Rams are not crazy about any of the QBs then I can see them standing pat at 15. If the asking price to move into range to get one of the top 3 is too high I could see them standing at 15, maybe even trading back a little. But, if they really like any of the top three QBs then they most likely have to move up a bit. There are too many teams that want QBs in front and behind them that sitting on their hands is risky. Sure there is a chance that Lynch (who I have always liked after watching several Memphis games this year) is available at 15 but with ever team behind the Rams knowing they would probably pick him, there is a good chance they get jumped by a team behind them, if he is not already gone in the top ten.

I have found through the years that there is information that teams have that the media and fans don't. The media likes to say this and that but after the draft is when you hear some of the truths about what teams think of certain players or the knowledge that they have of what other teams are planning to do.

We wont know till draft day, but if the Rams stand pat and take Lynch at 15 then they were pretty certain that he would be there. If they trade up for him then they knew he wouldn't be and they really liked him. If they stand pat and he is gone by 15 then either they didn't like the trade up price or they didn't like him (we may never know). We fans like the top QBs but Snead and Fisher may very well not. Snead looked pretty interested in Josh Doctson at his pro day. Doctson fits that elite athlete mold that the Rams like in round 1. They may not be thinking QB at all.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Snead will trade down and still pick a top 3 QB because he has the best hair in the NFL.

:football: