Lost in Sunday’s game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Sammy Watkins:

3 catches for 21 yds.

Really getting tired waiting for this guy to show me something.
Maybe it’s me but it’s like he doesn’t even compete out there. Game of the year and for a guy with his talent to never have his name called is pretty telling.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, who would ever want their #1 WR leading the team in TD catches???

You forgot to mention - since the bye week, he has 5 TDs in 6 games.

Oh the horror..

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Sammy Watkins:

3 catches for 21 yds.

Really getting tired waiting for this guy to show me something.
Maybe it’s me but it’s like he doesn’t even compete out there. Game of the year and for a guy with his talent to never have his name called is pretty telling.

You can’t just leave out his td catch though lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hear what @FrantikRam is saying....

but the eyes say, Sammy isn't on the same page that Woods and Kupp are in the Goff game plan.....Even his TD play.....it looked jumbled....like someone ran the wrong route.

Seems crazy to give up a 2nd round pick & EJ Gaines for a guy that isn't utilized correctly...or efficiently....

Use Sammy or lose him at this point. It's obvious he doesn't know the plays.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Sammy is not a high reception Reciever. He makes big plays and scores alot of Touchdowns. He is not a big intermediate route runner and makes most of his catches on screens, slants or big over the top throws .

I am perfectly happy with what Sammy does , I don' t think everyone realizes that kupp would not be this good witnout watkins. Teams plan on taking away the deep threat.

We need to keep Sammy

jacktheripper85

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, who would ever want their #1 WR leading the team in TD catches???

You forgot to mention - since the bye week, he has 5 TDs in 6 games.

Oh the horror..
Sammy is not a high reception Reciever. He makes big plays and scores alot of Touchdowns. He is not a big intermediate route runner and makes most of his catches on screens, slants or big over the top throws .

I am perfectly happy with what Sammy does , I don' t think everyone realizes that kupp would not be this good witnout watkins. Teams plan on taking away the deep threat.

We need to keep Sammy

I don’t know about all these big plays people are talking about. Seems to me that most of his TD catches were within the 10 yd line-could have just as easily ran Gurley. Biggest play all year was against a Giant team that had already quit. Again, not questioning the talent-just the heart.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I don’t know about all these big plays people are talking about. Seems to me that most of his TD catches were within the 10 yd line-could have just as easily ran Gurley. Biggest play all year was against a Giant team that had already quit. Again, not questioning the talent-just the heart.

I havent looked into too many of the coverages but I'm sure he is getting doubled almost every play . Most teams play cover 2 and there is a safety responible for keeping Watkins in front.
He is also a grown man on the goalline and finally gives this team a red zone option.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Stats aren't everything....
- Occupying 2 defenders on plays is huge. That opens up the other receivers and room for Gurley
- Those slants, which were a staple with Holt and the GSOT, are money in the bank. It's been years since we've seen that used consistently. Not all are pretty but it works with him.
- Downfield blocking. One thing I've noticed is that he is willing to get his hands dirty and block. Not all receivers will do this.

Does it appear he stops on some routes? Yep and that's really irritating since it often seems that Goff actually gets through his progressions only to find Sammy running half speed. Of course this also indicates that Sammy is the 3rd or 4th option which seems odd to me. #1 receiver as what amounts to an outlet?

Having said all the above....I'll take this year over the last 14 years any day! Not to mention, there's room to grow and as part of that growth I suspect (assuming we re-sign him), is that Sammy becomes more integrated.

JRobinson

MiLB
Get outta here man. Check his targets before you complain. Can’t blame Sammy for the lack of opportunities yo.

jacktheripper85

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I havent looked into too many of the coverages but I'm sure he is getting doubled almost every play . Most teams play cover 2 and there is a safety responible for keeping Watkins in front.
He is also a grown man on the goalline and finally gives this team a red zone option.

I hear what everyone is saying and considering what we have had at WR in the past I’m glad we have him (and considering what we’ve had in the past I’m not sure that’s saying much).

However, when you look at the drafts picks given up for him when he was drafted and then traded I think he’s been average at best and definitely not worth what teams have given up to get him.

DeAndre Hopkins was tearing it up with Watson at QB and continues to do so with the two scabs he has throwing to him now-and that’s with no other offensive weapons on that team and everyone in the stadium knowing he is going to get the ball.

When I watch plays where Watkins is targeted it seems like he is either covered or doesn’t know the ball is coming. Say what you want but him and Hopkins have the same measurables and when I watch games one guy plays like Tarzan and the other guy plays like Jane.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If he produces in the red zone he is helping the team. We need red zone threats and producers. He is tough and will fight for the TD. I’m good with keeping him and seeing if a real off season sets him up as our true #1. As much as I like what Woods is doing, I think Sammy can be that guy.

We need some serious upgrades and I would like receiver to be on the list of non-needs.