Lost Coaches: Aubrey Pleasant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As I've been saying, McVay made a huge mistake in passing over Aubrey for DC. He would have continued to build upon Staley's scheme. He's far more aggressive than Morris. In Detroit he simply lacks the talent and experience in his players.

They should fire Morris and hire Pleasant in the offseason. I have no doubt that this defense would have been a top 5 unit under Aubrey.
You know - the best thing about Aubrey Pleasant right now is he helped beat Zona.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe we'd be the top seed currently if we had promoted him to DC. Still though, he'd be another coach we'd lose to a HC position as soon as the season ended regardless.

Then yeah it is best he is gone.

Q729

Legend
obviated?

somebody get me a dictionary...
1640012522064.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought Pleasant wanted to go to Detroit because he’s from there.
Yes there is no doubt.I’ve been the biggest Pleasant fan over the years.

I lol though at some comments when it comes to all this & all that not appreciating The Rams coaching staff that is in place.

Sean Mcvay’s track record is pretty amazing.Letting coaches explore & move on is cool.

Johnathan Cooley though has done a real good job this season. The coach that gets DISSED is Ejiro Evero.

Joe Barry going to Green Bay & probably Chargers as DC if not ?
Talk about a coaching tree.

I love Raheem Morris.Going to listen to his presser right now.

TexasRam

Legend
Lions CB Oruwariye or however it’s spelled is playing lights out.

I think he is second in interceptions behind Diggs.

I am sure Pleasant has some to do with their DB’s playing well right now, but they are not as devoid of talent as some might think.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I spent a fair bit of time watching the Fangio 3-4 and how our 3-4 was a bit different.

Morris is running a hybrid of a hybrid.

Staley was running a 3-4 hybrid with various concepts from a number of base sets... 3-4, 4-3 and even 5-2. However, the base concept and the personnel are 3-4

Morris is running a 4-3 hybrid OF the Staley 3-4 hybrid.

How many times do we see a base 4 man set with us in a cover 2 or cover 3? It's one thing to have a legit 3 man front and then use one of the 4 LBs to create that 4th rusher. However, not just in personnel, but also in line stunts and twists, contain and run defense, the DL rush concepts are straight out of a 4-3 base set.

Now, some of the changes that have been made really help.

Gaines playing out of his mind really helps. Earnest Jones locking down the middle really helps... he's as close to a legit 4-3 MLB as we have and has the versatility to switch between 4-3 Mike and 3-4 ILB.

Now, I grant that basically no one plays a 3-4 all game because so often teams' base set is Nickel now.. so it's either 4-2 or 3-3, but still.

The reason why the scheme is a mess is that we don't have the personnel to run a 4-3 and we are gonna resign Von Miller giving us one of the best 3-4 OLB tandems in the league.

What I did like is that against AZ, Morris did dial up much more of the typical 3-4 front and the interior of AD, Gaines and A'Shawn Robinson is stout AF. I really hope Morris sees this and moves forward accordingly.

But yeah, it's not the same scheme and it's only kinda close insofar as EVERYONE runs a hybrid these days due to the need to run so much damn Nickel and Dime and the rise of hybrid players like LB/DE Micah Parsons and the Star position Jalen Ramsey.

If Morris sticks with the D he's called the last two games going forward, then much of my issues with the scheme are obviated. Only time will tell.

Excellent post.

I’d say the thing about Raheem Morris that makes him GREAT is he challenges his players & helps them get better.Trust them & puts them is positions to make plays.

The Rams organization is in a Great place as well from draft picks & position coaches.

An example last week was Hollins being put in that LBer spot for a play
against Arizona.So for all the negative I see a positive.

I’ve been a Troy Reeder fan.He was put on an island against GB & got destroyed.Ernest Jones has had to earn his spot. The development & The Fact when walking off the field
against Denver be told Jones to keep preparing like he was a starter.To find out what works to keep improving.

Tuesday with Fuller maybe missing Tuesday’s game(if it was to happen),then E.Jones would get the call to be The Mic on game day playcalling.

Ellard80

Legend
I spent a fair bit of time watching the Fangio 3-4 and how our 3-4 was a bit different.

Morris is running a hybrid of a hybrid.

Staley was running a 3-4 hybrid with various concepts from a number of base sets... 3-4, 4-3 and even 5-2. However, the base concept and the personnel are 3-4

Morris is running a 4-3 hybrid OF the Staley 3-4 hybrid.

How many times do we see a base 4 man set with us in a cover 2 or cover 3? It's one thing to have a legit 3 man front and then use one of the 4 LBs to create that 4th rusher. However, not just in personnel, but also in line stunts and twists, contain and run defense, the DL rush concepts are straight out of a 4-3 base set.

Now, some of the changes that have been made really help.

Gaines playing out of his mind really helps. Earnest Jones locking down the middle really helps... he's as close to a legit 4-3 MLB as we have and has the versatility to switch between 4-3 Mike and 3-4 ILB.

Now, I grant that basically no one plays a 3-4 all game because so often teams' base set is Nickel now.. so it's either 4-2 or 3-3, but still.

The reason why the scheme is a mess is that we don't have the personnel to run a 4-3 and we are gonna resign Von Miller giving us one of the best 3-4 OLB tandems in the league.

What I did like is that against AZ, Morris did dial up much more of the typical 3-4 front and the interior of AD, Gaines and A'Shawn Robinson is stout AF. I really hope Morris sees this and moves forward accordingly.

But yeah, it's not the same scheme and it's only kinda close insofar as EVERYONE runs a hybrid these days due to the need to run so much damn Nickel and Dime and the rise of hybrid players like LB/DE Micah Parsons and the Star position Jalen Ramsey.

If Morris sticks with the D he's called the last two games going forward, then much of my issues with the scheme are obviated. Only time will tell.
We are playing a 4 -3?

Who are the 4 d-line men we are using?

I'm not seeing a 4-3... not with any regulartiy. I see Floyd and Von rushing or dropping back into pass coverage.

oldnotdead

Legend
we are running the same scheme as last year though lol... is Aubrey Pleasant a good coach?

Dunno,... maybe. The Lions 26th rated defense doesn't neccessarily prove anything.

I'm not even saying im sold on morris.. but yeah not sure about all of this.

They aren't running the same scheme as last year. Staley used a zone look with man coverage concepts. It's a very aggressive style of zone scheme. Morris is using a standard zone scheme and playing it passively.

Staley played a drop, read, anticipate zone where his DBs would plaster a receiver entering the zone. Staley would align his DBs to show one type of zone then shift on the snap into another type of zone to confuse the QB and force him to hold the ball longer or make a bad throw into coverage he wasn't expecting.

Morris plays a drop, and react style where his DBs don't normally contest the reception and react to the catch to limit YAC. That's why we see on a 3rd and 4 the DB lined up 5 yds off the receiver basically conceding the first down. Morris' scheme counts on the DL to prevent the throw or force a bad throw. Only lately has he begun to incorporate man coverage on certain downs and distance. But once again it's played conventionally.

Watch Aubrey's Detroit DBs they are playing Staley's style of aggressive zone. They don't concede the reception they contest everything.

Ellard80

Legend
They aren't running the same scheme as last year. Staley used a zone look with man coverage concepts. It's a very aggressive style of zone scheme. Morris is using a standard zone scheme and playing it passively.

Staley played a drop, read, anticipate zone where his DBs would plaster a receiver entering the zone. Staley would align his DBs to show one type of zone then shift on the snap into another type of zone to confuse the QB and force him to hold the ball longer or make a bad throw into coverage he wasn't expecting.

Morris plays a drop, and react style where his DBs don't normally contest the reception and react to the catch to limit YAC. That's why we see on a 3rd and 4 the DB lined up 5 yds off the receiver basically conceding the first down. Morris' scheme counts on the DL to prevent the throw or force a bad throw. Only lately has he begun to incorporate man coverage on certain downs and distance. But once again it's played conventionally.

Watch Aubrey's Detroit DBs they are playing Staley's style of aggressive zone. They don't concede the reception they contest everything.
Not really buying this description - no disrespect sir.

But i saw us get dinked and dunked a lot last year.

I'm sure Raheem would get a chuckle out of your description here.

oldnotdead

Legend
Not really buying this description - no disrespect sir.

But i saw us get dinked and dunked a lot last year.

I'm sure Raheem would get a chuckle out of your description here.

Yeah they got dink and dunked last year. The difference is when it happened and against who. Staley wouldn't allow QBs like Murray to beat him with dink and dunk. You didn't see DB's lined up 5 yds off on 3rd and short.

Staley's zone was primarily a zone in name only. He understood he had man coverage capable personnel and he used them that way. Picture it this way. The QB would see what he read as zone. But at the snap, his receivers were in man coverage. The terminology for that eludes me right now (getting old I guess).

3-4 vs 4-3 isn't IMO the point. It's how Morris plays his back end that is important. Merlin very correctly made the observation quite a while ago that the DBs were playing flat-footed. For the most part they have been. It's also why, so many of the first tackle attempts are missed, i.e. the coverage is so far off the advantage is now with the receiver who has the time to transition into a runner.

Morris doesn't care about stats. Well, his defense has given up more passing yardage in 13 games than Staley's defense did all season by a wide margin. Morris' defense is losing the time of possession battle as well translating into his defense allowing teams to stay in the game.

In other words Morris took the #1 defense and turned into a mediocre defense i.e. the 21st overall defense in the NFL. That alone should be grounds for firing this guy. Midway through the season they were 16th ranked....get the picture? Being a likable guy doesn't mean he's competent.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We are playing a 4 -3?

Who are the 4 d-line men we are using?

I'm not seeing a 4-3... not with any regulartiy. I see Floyd and Von rushing or dropping back into pass coverage.

The 4 down lineman have been Miller, AD, Gaines, Floyd when they tend to give that look.

I’m too tired to go into a longer explanation