Losing Williams offers chance to Upgrade : Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Losing Williams offers chance to upgrade
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6681/losing-williams-offers-chance-to-upgrade

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As if the $42.5 million contract for Rodger Saffold with the Oakland Raiders didn't provide enough evidence of the NFL's desperation for offensive line help, the Buffalo Bills offered a resounding confirmation Wednesday when they agreed to an even more stunning contract with another former Rams lineman.

As ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Wednesday morning, the Bills struck a deal with former Rams left guard Chris Williams on a four-year, $13.5 million deal with $5.5 million guaranteed. Yes, you read that right. I re-read it a few times to make sure I didn't have a digit off in some place.

Obviously, Williams' deal doesn't break the bank like Saffold's, but for those who followed the Rams in 2013, those contract numbers are every bit as surprising as the ones Saffold got. Saffold's contract was a surprise because of his injury history. There's no lack of talent there. Williams is a different story.

After a training camp battle for the starting job at left guard, Williams edged out Shelley Smith for the job. From there, Williams was the one reliable piece on the line, starting all 16 games. But durability was probably Williams' greatest asset, along with the versatility to play tackle.

In most games, Williams held up fine, particularly as a run-blocker with Jake Long next to him and after Zac Stacy took over as running back. Where Williams had trouble was when the Rams faced some of the league's better defensive fronts, especially in the NFC West. Arizona, Seattle and San Francisco gave him fits, and it was no coincidence the Rams struggled to get much of anything going offensively against those three teams.

For Williams to get a solid free-agent deal speaks more to a depressed offensive-line market and the work of Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau than anything else.

Aside from the top tackles, who flew off the shelves at expensive prices Tuesday, this free-agent market was mostly lacking attractive options along the interior. Saffold was probably the best guard on the market; he got paid like a tackle and may not even play guard in Oakland. After that, Geoff Schwartz was the best option after a solid 2013 season, but that was really the extent of his sample size of production in the NFL. The Rams made a play for Schwartz but were outbid by the New York Giants.

With Saffold, Schwartz and Jon Asamoah gone, teams in need of help on the offensive line (read: almost all of them) seem to be willing to take chances on players who provide experience and not much else.

Which brings us to Boudreau. He has long had a reputation for coaching up lesser-known players, getting production out of them, and seeing them land nice free-agent contracts. Williams was one of his most recent reclamation projects after the Bears released the former first-round miss. Boudreau also squeezed solid performances out of previously unproven guys like Joe Barksdale.

For the Rams, losing Williams likely means another opportunity for Boudreau to develop a young lineman like Brandon Washington or Barrett Jones. The Rams have already invested time and money in both.

But it should also be noted that the Rams aren't going to throw money around for an offensive lineman in this thin market knowing that Boudreau can do well with so-called lesser talent.

The real takeaway for the Rams should be the need to upgrade the talent beyond players like Williams.

Given the strength of the defensive fronts the Rams see six times a year in the NFC West, it's time to give Boudreau more to work with than simple clay, even if it means having a young group of rookies to coach up. Losing Saffold was a blow. Losing Williams provides a chance to get better.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I'll be shocked if the Rams address the O-Line in the draft before the third round.

It would go against their philosophy of reclaiming under-achievers and "coaching up" late round picks into average starters.

wrstdude

Rookie
I'll be shocked if the Rams address the O-Line in the draft before the third round.

It would go against their philosophy of reclaiming under-achievers and "coaching up" late round picks into average starters.

Every year is different. Past actions aren't a guarantee of future actions.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Holy Lord, someone gave him 13.5 million with 5.5 million guaranteed? Seriously? Is this the same Chris Williams who played LG for the Rams last year?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Robinson/Mathews and Yankey/Xavier/G.Jackson come on down.
The addition of two of these five would be a nice start to our overhaul (again) of the OL. The good news about this group is that 4 out of the 5 have experience at both guard and tackle. I have a not-so-good feeling we are going to need versatility from the line next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Losing? More like giving up.

Alan

Legend
I don't know, I like his whole philosophy. We can upgrade the whole O if we just cut all the players. Except Wells of course because every O needs a dependable rock to rally around.

We don't need no freakin depth either.

tbux

Rookie
I don't know, I like his whole philosophy. We can upgrade the whole O if we just cut all the players. Except Wells of course because every O needs a dependable rock to rally around.

so you think we are done then? we arent going to address the oline in your view because we didnt get a day one FA?

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I'm not disappointed to see this. If some one wants to pay Williams that much, good lick to them. It just reinforces to me that the Rams are going about this the right way. There is no way Williams is worth a $13.5M contract. The original author got it right when he said Williams' best trait was that he started all 16 games. It doesn't mean he was effective.

Even if we don't get a vet OG in FA, I have faith that about can continue to coach up the likes of Barrett and Washington to fill Williams role. At worst, same output without the need to spend crazy dollars in FA for 'just another guy'.

It will mean we more than likely go OL hard and heavy early in the draft and possibly late as well. I'm not against that as there are some very intriguing options right throughout this draft.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

Quality and depth is for lesser teams.

Alan

Legend
tbux trying his best to ruin my childish sulk:
so you think we are done then? we arent going to address the oline in your view because we didnt get a day one FA?
images

Yes. Unless we draft Watkins of course. It's our only chance. ;)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another guard checks out at Rams Park
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...0-b3f2-cbd6ff6aaffa.html#.UyDCKBXcpKk.twitter

Will the last guard leaving Rams Park please turn out the lights? A day after Rodger Saffold agreed to terms with Oakland, Chris Williams has signed a four-year free-agent deal with Buffalo.

Yet another offensive guard, Shelley Smith, is visiting the New York Giants today and if that doesn't work out he's scheduled to visit New England on Thursday.

Williams started all 16 games at left guard last season _ in fact, he was the only Rams offensive lineman to start all 16 games in 2013. Coach Jeff Fisher said at the NFL Scouting Combine last month that the team wanted to re-sign Williams. But it was clear it wasn't a big priority to bring him back, not even after losing Saffold to Oakland.

Williams' best moments probably were as a run blocker. Sometimes he had trouble getting leverage, playing too high on his 6-6 frame. He drew a fair amount of play early on in free agency, with at least three teams interested. His four-year contract with the Bills was worth a reported $13.5 million with $5.5 million guaranteed.

With Saffold and Williams gone, and with Smith having one foot out the door, the interior linemen on the St. Louis roster now includes Scott Wells, Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes and Brandon Washington.

Potential help is due at Rams Park tonight, when former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Davin Joseph, a two-time Pro Bowler, pays a free agent visit. Joseph, 30, missed the entire 2012 season because of a knee injury, and although he started all 16 games for the Bucs last season his play declined. When healthy, he has been a dominant blocker and was at one time considered one of the game's dominant guards.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Could it be the Rams know what the cost will be to retain Quinn and that's why we're all in on the draft?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Could it be the Rams know what the cost will be to retain Quinn and that's why we're all in on the draft?
It might be more that with as few actual good Guards and Tackles on the market, they see the price for mediocrity is at an all time high. By going O-line in the draft, they will have friendly contracts for 3 or 4 years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have now lost both their swing OT's even though both were our starting OG's in the last half of the season ....Boudreau who favors OT's playing OG posts....Saffold was regulated back to swing OT with Barksdale's play @ ORT and when Saffold who was playing for OLT Long went down the third time in the 2013 season Chris Williams was the swing OT to ended up playing OLT against the Seahawks.

Now the need for a Ram OT's have gone from Serious (Long's injury) to Critical (Loss of Saffold) to ICU (Loss of Chris Williams)! Guess I should also mention the loss of Harvey Dahl who was a Boudreau's OT moved inside too. Was an emergency starting ORT for the Rams in 2011.

IMO the OL'ers that we may see selected in May's draft will be OL'ers who have played & started many games @ OT & OG. David Yankey, Brandon Thomas, Dakota Dozier, Joel Bitonio , Billy Turner, Jack Mewhort & Cameron Fleming.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It makes me sick to be this hemmed in with our high picks. We have no choice but to go OL...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Losing Saffold and Williams makes me very hopeful that the Rams will address the Oline early and often. The Oline problem did not just become a reality this offseason. It has been a need for years! I just would have preferred they idn't back themselves into a corner like they did.