Los Angeles Rams training camp capsule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2652f310-10a8-11e7-90a7-4b720b6e23dd_ap_logo.jpg

The Associated Press
July 23, 2017

OPEN CAMP: July 29, UC Irvine, Irvine, California

CAMP NEEDS: McVay and Phillips face ample work across roster to transform Rams into winner. Goff's development into top-flight starter must be offense's top priority, but returning Gurley to elite form is key as well. Both depend on Whitworth, Sullivan leading offensive line's revival after miserable 2016. Phillips is moving Rams to 3-4 scheme that should suit Donald and NT Michael Brockers while moving Robert Quinn to OLB. Donald under contract for two more years, but could be unhappy with deal after sitting out OTAs during negotiations for huge extension, which still aren't completed. Must sort out playing time in secondary, where CB Trumaine Johnson is getting huge payday under franchise tender again this year. Every other job could be up for grabs, with Lamarcus Joyner, Maurice Alexander expected to step up at safety.

EXPECTATIONS: Rams seem almost certain to improve after last year's freefall, but roster hasn't improved noticeably with no first-round pick or major free-agent signing. Counting on new coaching staff, fresh mentality to lay groundwork for winner. Quick results would be huge with Chargers crashing LA party this fall. Legit playoff hopes have receded and are still years away, just like opening date of Rams' new stadium.

---

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

but roster hasn't improved noticeably with no first-round pick or major free-agent signing.

say what? best lt on the market, replacing their bust #2 pick, is not a major signing?

Legit playoff hopes have receded and are still years away,

c'mon man.

please coach mcvay, make all these bozos eat their words.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

say what? best lt on the market, replacing their bust #2 pick, is not a major signing?

c'mon man.

I notice plenty of these writers are going off last year's performance. Too lazy to do real research. I hope our opponents make the same mistake.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

c'mon man.

please coach mcvay, make all these bozos eat their words.

I think that is very fair to say.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think that is very fair to say.
The Whitworth signing alone was a major free agent coup for the Rams. He was the #1 OT on the market, still very strong despite his age. Him & Sullivan will go a long way towards solidifying our O-line. Barwin was another major free agent signing, though not sure any others would have thought so, I think so - he will shine in this D. I forget how long ago but he is not far off of having the highest sack totals for the year.

We came very close to coaxing D.Ware out of retiring, now THAT would've made waves.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Most pundits are perpetually behind the curve, especially if they're covering the entire league.

They're always evaluating teams for a new season based upon what happened in the previous season.

The Rams have undergone a major renovation this offseason but you would never know it by reading the national pundits.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2652f310-10a8-11e7-90a7-4b720b6e23dd_ap_logo.jpg

The Associated Press
July 23, 2017

OPEN CAMP: July 29, UC Irvine, Irvine, California

CAMP NEEDS: McVay and Phillips face ample work across roster to transform Rams into winner. Goff's development into top-flight starter must be offense's top priority, but returning Gurley to elite form is key as well. Both depend on Whitworth, Sullivan leading offensive line's revival after miserable 2016. Phillips is moving Rams to 3-4 scheme that should suit Donald and NT Michael Brockers while moving Robert Quinn to OLB. Donald under contract for two more years, but could be unhappy with deal after sitting out OTAs during negotiations for huge extension, which still aren't completed. Must sort out playing time in secondary, where CB Trumaine Johnson is getting huge payday under franchise tender again this year. Every other job could be up for grabs, with Lamarcus Joyner, Maurice Alexander expected to step up at safety.

EXPECTATIONS: Rams seem almost certain to improve after last year's freefall, but roster hasn't improved noticeably with no first-round pick or major free-agent signing. Counting on new coaching staff, fresh mentality to lay groundwork for winner. Quick results would be huge with Chargers crashing LA party this fall. Legit playoff hopes have receded and are still years away, just like opening date of Rams' new stadium.

---

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL

Clowns2.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Apart from cutting a huge number of Rams starters from last year and the player acquisitions (Whitworth, Woods, Barwin, Webster, Sullivan etc) that were done in FA picking up Kupp in the draft. To me the biggest thing the Rams have done this offseason is the TOTAL overhaul of the coaching staff - both McVay & Phillips are 2 huge additions alone.