Los Angeles Rams at Cleveland Browns: Stock up, stock down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let’s take a look at which players impressed and which didn’t.

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Sep 22, 2019, 11:04pm CDT

NFL: Los Angeles Rams at Cleveland Browns

Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

Battling throughout an ugly game, the Los Angeles Rams escape the Sunday Night Football contest versus the Cleveland Browns with a 20-13 win. The game was a rough performance for both teams, though the Rams ultimately did enough offensively and rode the coattails of the defense to a win.

Let’s jump into the stock report:
Stock Down

QB Jared Goff
The offensive line wasn’t great tonight, though they did enough to allow the offense and Jared Goff to make plays. And while Goff did make some good plays by throwing a few darts and collecting a few ankles, he ultimately was careless with the ball, giving the Browns multiple chances to remain in the game. Goff was 24/38 for 269 yards with two touchdowns, two interceptions, and a fumble. Goff nearly had another two passes intercepted to boot. The Rams will need their signal caller to play much cleaner moving forward, though a handful of drops from the Rams’ receivers didn’t help.

RG Jamil Demby
Ugly performance by the replacement right guard as Austin Blythe’s ankle injury kept him inactive. Demby had at least two completely blown pass pro reps, as well as two false starts, one of which was on the inch yard line. Luckily for the Rams, they still scored a touchdown after being moved back, but that was an inexcusable mistake.

RB Todd Gurley
Todd Gurley didn’t have much running space at all in this one, though he didn’t do anything to help either. Gurley averaged 3.1 yards-per-carry on the ground, only had 43 yards rushing, and was completely blanked as a receiver (only receiving one target). The Rams need their highly paid running back to get back to retro Gurley asap, particularly because the offense runs through #30.

Play Calling
The play calling in this one was rough throughout. The never ending receiver screens, the lack of a running game, the lack of a creative running game to offset the “6-1” defense which all defenses have deployed against the Rams since the New England Patriots proved it’s capabilities in the Super Bowl, and the strange calls near the end of the game when attempting to ice it. The Rams’ offense is slowly being figured out, meaning Head Coach Sean McVay will need to adjust accordingly.

Stock Up

DT Aaron Donald
Aaron Donald finally came alive on the stat sheet with his first sack of the 2019 season, as well as collecting four tackles and two tackles-for-loss. Donald also drew at least three or four penalties (holdings and false starts), simply because of the fear offensive lineman possess going against the game’s most dominant force. The back injury didn’t look to be a factor at all as Donald was moving around like he always has. #99 has officially started the road to 22.5 sacks.

Secondary
The entire secondary needs a shoutout, as singling any of them out just isn’t fair. Safeties John Johnson III and Eric Weddle were very active flying all over the field and enforcing their physicality, with rookie safety Taylor Rapp coming alive towards the end with a big pass breakup on third down in the redzone. Cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Nickell Robey-Coleman made multiple great plays on the ball in coverage, hardly giving anything up in their direction. Cornerback Marcus Peters didn’t feel like he was tested at all, which is a good thing as it means he blanked his receivers all night.

LT Andrew Whitworth
Andrew Whitworth continues to be the bright spot on the offensive line as he was a stalwart on the blindside of Jared Goff. Big Whit is as productive as ever, regardless of his age and experience. The rest of the offensive line will need to pick their play up to the standards of the left tackle.

WR Cooper Kupp
Cooper Kupp was probably the best player on the Rams’ roster today, registering 11 receptions for 102 yards and two touchdowns. Kupp was targeted 12 times, letting only one pass go incomplete. Kupp continues to look 100% healthy post-ACL surgery, and his chemistry with Goff is developing into something special. His routes in the redzone that resulted in touchdowns were absolutely filthy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' offense has work to do despite road victory, 3-0 start

• i

Lindsey ThiryESPN

CLEVELAND -- The Los Angeles Rams spent the offseason adjusting their offense and adding new wrinkles after the high-scoring unit was brought to a screeching halt by the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII.
On Sunday night, they escaped Cleveland with a 20-13 victory over the Browns inside a raucous FirstEnergy Stadium to improve to 3-0. But it is apparent the 2019 edition of coach Sean McVay's offense has plenty of work to do to earn a return trip to the Super Bowl.

Defensive win: The Rams' defense, for a third straight game, did all it could to slow explosive playmakers -- this time in quarterback Baker Mayfield, receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry and running back Nick Chubb. The pass rush kept Mayfield off balance, and the QB was sacked three times.

QB breakdown: For a third consecutive game, Jared Goff was unable to develop a rhythm and establish connections with his receivers in the first half. In several instances, passes were thrown behind or out of reach of his targets. In the second quarter, Goff was stripped, and the Browns converted the takeaway into a field goal. In the third quarter, Goff threw a pass that was intercepted by Browns defensive back T.J. Carrie. And in the fourth quarter, Goff was intercepted by Juston Burris. Goff completed 24 of 38 passes for 269 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Troubling Trend, Part I: For a third consecutive game, the Rams did not score a touchdown in the first quarter, and for a second time this season, they did not score a touchdown in the first half. Last season, they failed to score a first-half touchdown in only one regular-season game. The offense also had a slow start during a Week 1 win over the Carolina Panthers, as the Rams were held scoreless in the first quarter. In a victory over the New Orleans Saints last week, the Rams were held to a field goal in the first quarter.

Troubling Trend, Part II: The offensive line. The unit underwent a significant offseason makeover when left guard Rodger Saffold departed in free agency and the team declined the option on center John Sullivan's contract. On Sunday, with right guard Austin Blythe sidelined because of an ankle sprain, the Rams had three first-year starters on the interior of their line with left guard Joe Noteboom, center Brian Allen and right guard Jamil Demby. The run-game suffered, as five players rushed for a combined 91 yards, and Goff was under duress throughout the game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams still on top of NFC West, but 49ers are a threat
usatsi_13403017-1.jpg

By: Jonathan Mathis | 1 hour ago

Well, things have gotten rather interesting now that the San Francisco 49ers have improved to 3-0 for the first time since 1998.
The Los Angeles Rams have Jared Goff to the throw passes and Cooper Kupp to catch them. Oh, and yes, don’t forget about the rest of the receiver corps, which includes Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods. How can you leave out running backs Todd Gurley and Malcom Brown?

On paper, the 49ers have nothing on the Rams – or do they?
While it wasn’t their best showing, the Rams remained unbeaten with 20-13 win against the Cleveland Browns. This team is not getting adequate play out of quarterback Jared Goff. And nonetheless, he managed the game quite well but looked suspect for much of the night.
Goff was 16-of-23 for 269 yards and had two touchdowns with two interceptions and a lost fumble.

The offense was stagnant early. Their defense was terrific. Not pretenders but contenders, the Rams should still be the favorites to reign supreme in the NFC West.

Sean McVay, the genius of coaches, made some halftime adjustments and the Rams came out and strung together a 10-play, 75-yard touchdown drive. Goff delivered a perfect throw to Kupp for an 11-yard touchdown to push the Rams ahead 10-6.
John Johnson’s interception in the red zone sealed the win for the Rams, but it was hardly an easy victory.

Yes, Sunday night’s game between the Rams and Browns was a big deal since the 49ers are on right behind them. And yes, San Francisco looks like a contender. But as of now, the NFC West still belongs to the Rams.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
We have three wins out of the division, one against a major NFC rival.
Can't wait for the divisional games.
If we can get our 6 wins there then that puts us in a good spot.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Jared Made one really bad decision with the late interception. That doesnt make a stock down. That is retarted.

Mcvay said Jared Played a great game avoiding rush on multiple occasions and making huge throws over and over in this game. If his WR's catch balls right in their hands we are looking at a 300 yd passing game with 30+ points and 3 TD's along with the incredible job Goff did avoiding pressure.

Stock is up for Goff - WR's and RB's dropping passes. No Running game and an Oline that has too many penalites and free rushers.

Stock is down for Gurley - I'll say it here. We will probably never see the same Gurley we have seen in the past..His Knee is not right and may never be.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Yeah, Jared has been threading needles for 3 years now. Including lots of potential (dropped) INT's. Sometimes that aggressiveness is going to bite you in the ass. Poor decision on that last drive but overall a decent night. Two 3rd down clutch TD passes that we desperately needed.

…..

Legend
Stock up or stock down I dunno but let’s just say Jared is due for a good game where we aren’t left to debate.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Someone correct me if I am wrong. It seems like Demby's mistakes are correctable if he is missing assignments. He was solid against the run.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Someone correct me if I am wrong. It seems like Demby's mistakes are correctable if he is missing assignments. He was solid against the run.
Demby is on offense, so he doesnt protect against the run. You must be thinking of someone else.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The thing I have been seeing out of Jared, is he is looking to push the ball down the field. And sometimes, it's just not there. On the 2nd interception it looked like Gurley was in position to pick up the first down. Jared would have had to throw him open as a LB was sitting on his left hip, but a flip to Gurley's right would have given us the first down. The Browns were doing different things on defense (coverages) that we were not picking up correctly. Sometimes certain throws are just not there. I think that is what led to the "discussions" on the sidelines between Goff and McVay.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Jared Made one really bad decision with the late interception. That doesnt make a stock down. That is retarted.

Mcvay said Jared Played a great game avoiding rush on multiple occasions and making huge throws over and over in this game. If his WR's catch balls right in their hands we are looking at a 300 yd passing game with 30+ points and 3 TD's along with the incredible job Goff did avoiding pressure.

Stock is up for Goff - WR's and RB's dropping passes. No Running game and an Oline that has too many penalites and free rushers.

Stock is down for Gurley - I'll say it here. We will probably never see the same Gurley we have seen in the past..His Knee is not right and may never be.
I think if they just used him like last year he would look like last year. They got to shit or get off the shitter.
Gurley needs runs and targets. He is barely getting used. Can't get going ggv without th the ball.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Whiners defense is fast and physical.
The DL is for real.
Their offense is mistake prone but, again, very fast and well designed.
They will get yards. They used a lot of misdirection.
Guys playing their responsibility against them is key.
It will be a test for both teams and will not be an easy win by any stretch.
Our OL vs their front seven will define the game.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
collecting a few ankles,

Well, there we have it. Jared's problem is that he has to stop taking his mid-week junkets to Tanzia, you know, collecting ankles, and all.

Cannibal-tribes-men-fight-off-intruders-in-The-Green-Inferno.jpg

He's losing valuable reps with his offense. And frankly, it's just a bit creepy.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Stock up or stock down I dunno but let’s just say Jared is due for a good game where we aren’t left to debate.
Watch for Goff to struggle through the season, only to beast mode come playoffs.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I agree with many that the "Goff is off" mantra is overstated. I think there are a few cylinders not firing overall on offense, but Goff has actually improved his movement in the pocket, made some great throws, and I believe he will get better.

He has made a few bad decisions, like all quarterbacks trying to make things happen, but I'm not worried.