Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Report card shows up and down Rams in Week 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It was a gutsy win in Charlotte, but the LA Rams got the win and now the grades are in!

By Joey The Jerk@LaRamsRamsRams Sep 8, 2019, 8:32pm CDT

NFL: Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Without a preseason game for nearly every starter on the Los Angeles Rams, most fans were prepared for a sloppy week 1 matchup in Carolina and that’s exactly what was delivered. Getting their first win of the season in a 30-27 slugfest over the Carolina Panthers, the Rams can feel good going back home to face the New Orleans Saints in week 2. Right?

Here are the grades for your LA Rams:
Quarterback

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY SportsC+

Our highly paid superstar QB, Jared Goff, was a bit rusty on Sunday. He’s never been great on the road and without a preseason, it was understandable that the timing of his throws would be a little off. That’s exactly what happened. With a QB rating of 69 (nice), Goff was 23/39 for 186 yards. He was late on a throw to WR Robert Woods that led to an interception and he missed on some easy passing attempts. However, Goff was able to move the offense with his security blanket, WR Cooper Kupp, and even threw a touchdown pass to his BFF, TE Tyler Higbee.

Running Back

Los Angeles Rams RB Malcolm Brown politely waves to the crowd after scoring a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers in Week 1, Sep. 8, 2019.

Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesA-

The game started in a way that made me assume that I’d be giving the running backs a failing grade, but then something strange happened... RB Malcolm Brown reminded us why he’s on the team. He’s a great blocker, yes, but he can also thrive in red zone situations. With 2 touchdowns off of 11 carries for 53 yards, Brown was a very valuable hand-cuff for RB Todd Gurley II, who actually turned in a solid performance once the game got rolling. Did he seem like his knee issues were behind him? Not at all. But his 25 yard run was a sight for sore eyes. I’ll take it.

Wide Receivers

Los Angeles Rams v Carolina Panthers

Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty ImagesB-

The passing attack was quiet, but the pass catchers still proved that they are deep, fast, and sneaky good. WR Cooper Kupp started off the game as if he never injured his knee last season, and Woods was, well, he was Robert Woods. WR Brandin Cooks had a nice grab for 24 yards. These guys are just getting started.
Tight Ends

Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty ImagesA

Higbee, aka “Hygz,” is quickly becoming one of my favorite Rams. His blocking was solid and he was able to get into the end zone for a touchdown. Yeah, he didn’t dominate, but what can I say? I'm in the tank for the guy.

Offensive Line

NFL: Los Angeles Rams-Training Camp
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY SportsC
The big beefy boys up front had a rough game, but ended up on a stronger note. C Brian Allen, in his first starting job, looked inconsistent and was man-handled at times. However, he was facing a very strong Panthers defensive line.
Defensive Line

Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesB

They did allow RB Christian McCaffrey to do this thing, running wild for 128 yards. However, DE Aaron Donald was a beast aaaas usual, setting up the EDGE rushers like Dante Fowler Jr. to get a sack. He was disruptive all game and was a big reason why the Panthers struggled to move the ball in the first half. DT Michael Brockers was also his reliable self as well, securing two solo tackles.

Linebackers

Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty ImagesB

This was difficult to grade because ILB Cory Littleton played out of his mind, but the EDGE rushers were pretty ineffective. Did they get sacks? Sure. But were they gifts wrapped by the Panthers’ offensive line? You bet! Props to Littleton though; he balled out for sure.

Defensive Backs

S John Johnson III had another solid game to add to his resume, but veteran and new LA Ram S Eric Weddle had a rough one, getting a nasty laceration on his head that sent him into the concussion protocol. S Taylor Rapp looked fast and smart on the field, which was to be expected.

Special Teams

Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty ImagesD

Woof. There are days and then there are days. P Johnny Hekker had a blocked punt, K Greg Zuerlein missed an easy field goal and had a kickoff go out of bounds. Coach John Fassel’s special team’s unit just looked... off.

Coaching

Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesA

Coach Sean McVay made some adjustments in the second half that really improved the run game and provide some much needed points when the game got tight. His use of Gurley seemed measured and smart.

Was this game ugly? Not really. It was just a bit rough around the edges. Nothing that can’t be cleaned up.
And they better do it quick because the Saints are coming to town.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Stock up, stock down

In an ugly performance, the Rams narrowly escaped from Carolina with a victory.

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Sep 8, 2019, 6:58pm CDT

Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images
The Los Angeles Rams kicked off the 2019 season with a win on the road against the Carolina Panthers. With Sunday’s game being the first game exposure for the Rams’ starting units, the Rams looked rusty, just as they did in 2018. Mistakes and sloppy play were prevalent, though the Rams still managed to win 30-27, proving that talent trumps all.

Let’s jump into the stock report:
Stock Down

QB Jared Goff

The leader of the team really struggled in this contest. Goff only had 186 yards passing on 39 attempts, registering one touchdown and one interception. Goff nearly threw another interception in the redzone to cornerback James Bradberry. Not only that, but Goff had multiple instances where he forced the ball to a covered receiver, totally missing another wide open option (Cooper Kupp on both occasions). Hopefully this one can just be chalked up to rust.

Punt unit

Punter Johnny Hekker had a shanked punt that only traveled for seven yards. In addition, the unit also allowed a blocked punt which ultimately put the Panthers inside the Rams’ redzone. It was a sloppy day for a unit which is usually among the leagues best.

Run defense

Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey abused the Rams on the ground as he totaled 128 rushing yards for 6.7 yards-per-carry. The Rams struggled to contain McCaffrey as a whole as he also chipped in 81 receiving yards. The run defense needs to remain more sound in their gaps, though the Panthers are one of the more creative and dangerous rushing attacks in the league.

Stock Up

ILB Cory Littleton

Littleton had a combined 14 tackles, as well as an impressive (yet easy) interception. Littleton was solid in coverage too as he handled McCaffrey in man coverage on several reps. Littleton was routinely around the ball and actually saved a touchdown on a long gain where a Panthers’ ball carrier broke away from three or four tackle attempts, finally being dragged down by Littleton from behind.

RB Todd Gurley

Gurley only ran the ball 14 times, though that looks to be the Rams’ new deployment of their rushing attack. After a slow start to the game, Gurley eventually started breaking free, totaling 101 yards in the game. And even though he fumbled two footballs, he looked like the old Gurley we all grew to love, explosive and decisive.

WR Cooper Kupp

In his first game back after recovering from a torn ACL, Kupp was the safe blanket for Goff all game. Kupp looked exactly like his old self, running crisp routes, sitting between zones, and plucking the ball out of the air with ease (while also moving the chains). Look for this connection to continue to grow as both Goff and Kupp get more live reps together.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
What a stupid report card. Evert line of defense got a B despite CMC shredding us.

TexasRam

Legend
weird grades and worse reason for grades.

Mcvay getting an A was correct however. His offensive adjustments at half time were the difference.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
DL sucked and saying Donald was a beast as usual makes one wonder if he even watched the game. I bet if you asked Donald right after the game how he play he would say he sucked and has got to do play better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did he seem like his knee issues were behind him? Not at all. But his 25 yard run was a sight for sore eyes. I’ll take it.
I mean he won't ever satisfy the media but how can you say he didn't look good?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
DL sucked and saying Donald was a beast as usual makes one wonder if he even watched the game. I bet if you asked Donald right after the game how he play he would say he sucked and has got to do play better.
He certainly wasn't happy in his postgame locker interview. Mentioned his high standards when asked too.

Saints gonna bear the brunt of that lol can't wait.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
M Peters pisses me off. I saw him shy away from tackles more than a few times. Peters was part of the reason McCaffrey got so many yds.

Christian wasn't much better. Weddle needs to heal up fast.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How was the OL anything but an A+?

They allowed zero sacks - the only sack Goff took he rolled out and held on to the ball way too long. Also ran the ball at will. They allowed some pressure but that's true of any OL.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It was a gutsy win in Charlotte, but the LA Rams got the win and now the grades are in!

By Joey The Jerk@LaRamsRamsRams Sep 8, 2019, 8:32pm CDT

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Without a preseason game for nearly every starter on the Los Angeles Rams, most fans were prepared for a sloppy week 1 matchup in Carolina and that’s exactly what was delivered. Getting their first win of the season in a 30-27 slugfest over the Carolina Panthers, the Rams can feel good going back home to face the New Orleans Saints in week 2. Right?

Here are the grades for your LA Rams:
Quarterback

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY SportsC+

Our highly paid superstar QB, Jared Goff, was a bit rusty on Sunday. He’s never been great on the road and without a preseason, it was understandable that the timing of his throws would be a little off. That’s exactly what happened. With a QB rating of 69 (nice), Goff was 23/39 for 186 yards. He was late on a throw to WR Robert Woods that led to an interception and he missed on some easy passing attempts. However, Goff was able to move the offense with his security blanket, WR Cooper Kupp, and even threw a touchdown pass to his BFF, TE Tyler Higbee.

Running Back

Los Angeles Rams RB Malcolm Brown politely waves to the crowd after scoring a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers in Week 1, Sep. 8, 2019.

Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesA-

The game started in a way that made me assume that I’d be giving the running backs a failing grade, but then something strange happened... RB Malcolm Brown reminded us why he’s on the team. He’s a great blocker, yes, but he can also thrive in red zone situations. With 2 touchdowns off of 11 carries for 53 yards, Brown was a very valuable hand-cuff for RB Todd Gurley II, who actually turned in a solid performance once the game got rolling. Did he seem like his knee issues were behind him? Not at all. But his 25 yard run was a sight for sore eyes. I’ll take it.

Wide Receivers

Los Angeles Rams v Carolina Panthers

Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty ImagesB-

The passing attack was quiet, but the pass catchers still proved that they are deep, fast, and sneaky good. WR Cooper Kupp started off the game as if he never injured his knee last season, and Woods was, well, he was Robert Woods. WR Brandin Cooks had a nice grab for 24 yards. These guys are just getting started.
Tight Ends

Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty ImagesA

Higbee, aka “Hygz,” is quickly becoming one of my favorite Rams. His blocking was solid and he was able to get into the end zone for a touchdown. Yeah, he didn’t dominate, but what can I say? I'm in the tank for the guy.

Offensive Line

NFL: Los Angeles Rams-Training Camp
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY SportsC
The big beefy boys up front had a rough game, but ended up on a stronger note. C Brian Allen, in his first starting job, looked inconsistent and was man-handled at times. However, he was facing a very strong Panthers defensive line.
Defensive Line

Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesB

They did allow RB Christian McCaffrey to do this thing, running wild for 128 yards. However, DE Aaron Donald was a beast aaaas usual, setting up the EDGE rushers like Dante Fowler Jr. to get a sack. He was disruptive all game and was a big reason why the Panthers struggled to move the ball in the first half. DT Michael Brockers was also his reliable self as well, securing two solo tackles.

Linebackers

This was difficult to grade because ILB Cory Littleton played out of his mind, but the EDGE rushers were pretty ineffective. Did they get sacks? Sure. But were they gifts wrapped by the Panthers’ offensive line? You bet! Props to Littleton though; he balled out for sure.

Defensive Backs

S John Johnson III had another solid game to add to his resume, but veteran and new LA Ram S Eric Weddle had a rough one, getting a nasty laceration on his head that sent him into the concussion protocol. S Taylor Rapp looked fast and smart on the field, which was to be expected.

Special Teams

Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty ImagesD

Woof. There are days and then there are days. P Johnny Hekker had a blocked punt, K Greg Zuerlein missed an easy field goal and had a kickoff go out of bounds. Coach John Fassel’s special team’s unit just looked... off.

Coaching

Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesA

Coach Sean McVay made some adjustments in the second half that really improved the run game and provide some much needed points when the game got tight. His use of Gurley seemed measured and smart.

Was this game ugly? Not really. It was just a bit rough around the edges. Nothing that can’t be cleaned up.
And they better do it quick because the Saints are coming to town.

Oline a C and Dline a B? Did this guy watch the game? I'd actually flip that. The Dline played like the Dline of old for the most part when it came to stopping the run. They would hold their ground and then give up a 30 yard play. Typical Rams Front 7 if you ask me. Pass rush was outstanding IMO so maybe that helps their case.
Oline played pretty well they gave Goff all day but Goff was seeing Ghost and holding on to the ball way too long. I'm pretty sure he had a very open WR on almost every throwing play, he just wasn't in sync. That will obviously work itself out. The run game started out slow but ended up doing very well in the 2nd half. Part of that was McVays gameplan. he's a stud.

Defensive backs got a B???? Did he see how many bad throws that Cam had to wide open WR's??? Good thing Cam sucks so bad, if they had an actual QB that was somewhat accurate we lose that game.