Loose change: Rams sorting through nickel options/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Loose change: Rams sorting through nickel options
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4c041222-eae3-5d50-a03c-c94a7be5ec96.html

The Rams like what they have in Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson as their starting corners, but who will play the important nickel back position now that Cortland Finnegan is gone?

A safety by trade, Rodney McLeod played a lot of nickel while Finnegan was injured in 2013, and did a decent job. But there are several interesting candidates in this year's draft who could fill the bill as well, including Virginia Tech's Kyle Fuller, Florida State's Lamarcus Joyner, and TCU's Jason Verrett.

Fuller projects as a mid-to-late first-round pick and could be the third corner taken in next week's draft. Verrett looks like a late first_ to early second-rounder, with Joyner probably going in the second.

Verrett and Fuller both made "top 30" pre-draft visits to Rams Park; it's not known if Joyner did.

Even though he's only 5-8, 184 pounds, Joyner played safety his sophomore and junior years before switching over to cornerback last season for the Seminoles' national championship squad. As part of those cornerback duties Joyner played nickel back, covering slot receivers, for the first time.

"I played it like 75 percent of the time due to the fact that everyone goes spread," Joyner said. "And we ran a lot of pressures at FSU and I was able to blitz and disrupt the quarterback."

As a result of that versatility, Joyner has gotten a lot of questions during the pre-draft process about where he would be comfortable playing in the NFL: free safety, corner, or nickel.

"I always answer everyone the same," Joyner said. "I'll do whatever they need me to do to help the team win.

"I think safety gives me an advantage due to the fact that I can see the whole entire football field. I believe in my football IQ. I like to diagnose the whole entire field to know what's going. So I think that gives me an advantage. But I also can play corner. I like playing nickel. I like being close to the line of scrimmage where there's a lot of action. Get in on the run. Blitz a couple times. "

There aren't many 5-8, 184-pounders playing safety these days in the NFL, but the success of Tyrann Mathieu at Arizona as a safety/nickel back has shown that it's possible. Mathieu, the former LSU star, is 5-9, 186.

"I really didn't get a chance to watch him in the NFL but I always heard great things about him," Joyner said. "So I hope he continues with the success that he's having to prove people wrong about the size issue. He's opened up more opportunities for guys like myself."

Joyner has a reputation of playing bigger than his size. For proof, look no further than his 5 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles last season. Not only did the 5 1/2 sacks lead the team, it was the most for any defensive back in the nation in 2013.

Meanwhile, Verrett was a study in toughness last season at TCU. He suffered a shoulder injury in Game 3 against Texas Tech _ a torn labrum to be specific. But he missed only one game, and didn't even wear a brace in games.

"I feel like I showed toughness throughout my whole career," Verrett said. "Being the size that I am, I'm gonna have to be a lot more physical than the bigger guys. I feel like I showed them."

Verrett, who waited until after TCU's pro day to have shoulder surgery last month, is 5-9, 189.

"I feel like I'm this height for a reason, but I can compete with the best," Verrett said.

In fact, Verrett confidently says he flat out is the best.

"I believe that I'm the best corner in this draft," Verrett said. "I can draw the line right there. "I'm confident in what my capabilities are on the field.

"Not everybody has ball skills, but I'm blessed to have that. With my frame I'm able to transfer from A to B with fluid hips and quickness. That just allows me to make more plays. I've always been quick."

In his last two seasons at TCU, Verrett totaled 30 pass breakups and eight interceptions. He suggests that anyone wondering about his run support skills check out the Horned Frogs' bowl game against running back Le'Veon Bell and Michigan State to conclude the 2012 season.

Verrett believes he can play right away in the NFL, in part based on current pros that he covered in college. Among them, he listed Kenny Stills (Saints) and Stedman Bailey (Rams). How did Verrett fare against Bailey?

"I did good," Verrett said. "I locked him down."

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Verrett ran a 4.38 in the 40, tied for second-best among defensive backs behind Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert, who ran a 4.37.

"My favorite nickel in the draft is Jason Verrett from TCU," said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock. "The only reason I wouldn't say he's a top 20 pick is because of his size. But he's ideal for the slot because he's quick-footed. He's tough."

Lastly, Virginia Tech's Fuller certainly has the bloodlines to play in the NFL. His older brother, defensive back Vincent, played seven seasons in the league; another older brother, wide receiver Corey, was on Detroit's practice squad last season.

"It definitely makes you want to get to that level," Kyle said. "It definitely keeps you humble, makes you continue to work hard to get there."

All three brothers played at Virginia Tech, and there's a fourth working his way up with the Hokies. Cornerback Kendall Fuller was the Atlantic Coast Conference defensive rookie of the year last season.

Because of his NFL experience, Vincent has probably had the biggest impact on Kyle, who says he has a similar playing style.

"I've learned a lot from him. He's definitely helped me get to where I am," Kyle said. "I take a lot from his game."

Kyle played in only nine games last season because of a sports hernia injury that required surgery last November. But he was healthy enough to do all the drills at the combine, including run a 4.49 in the 40 at 6-0, 190 pounds. He has good nickel skills, and is physical on run support.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Please no more micro-corners. Unless the guy is faster than Bo Jackson and Prime Time's love child, I want nothing to do with it.

jjab360

Legend
Please no more micro-corners. Unless the guy is faster than Bo Jackson and Prime Time's love child, I want nothing to do with it.
You don't want some big, clunky CB with stiff hips playing in the slot, that's a recipe for disaster.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
You don't want some big, clunky CB with stiff hips playing in the slot, that's a recipe for disaster.
Actually, of the top 5 teams in total defense, none of them have a corner listed under 5'10, and maybe 3 guys under 5'11'' are starters. That's not to mention the reigning Super Bowl champions who don't sport a DB under 6'0".