Looks like Givens was impeded with

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
A few more screen prints, this is where Wright first contacted Britt on the left hash, note the extended arms across the front of Britt's chest. Bump step 1, Britt about to put down his right foot.

upload_2014-11-26_9-56-26.png

Britt step 2 (left foot), still bumping.

upload_2014-11-26_9-0-18.png

Step 3 right foot, still bumping. Left hand still in front of Britt's chest.

upload_2014-11-26_9-0-51.png

Step 4 left foot, still bumping. Left hand still in front of Britt's chest.

upload_2014-11-26_10-2-33.png

Step 5, right foot, and Wright is STILL bumping Britt as he's about to leave the frame. At this point, Hill is about to throw the ball to Britt, that Wright finally disengages and tries (unsuccessfully) to come from behind Britt for the knockdown.

upload_2014-11-26_8-58-33.png

In the scheme of ... defensive holding? ... this is pretty egregious. You compare this to all those times that the Rams DBs are called for defensive holding when the tug on the shirt of the WR. Illegal, yeah. Egregous? No. I mean, Wright has taken the stance on this that he's not just going to hold Britt but really OWN the violation. And they still didn't call it.

Was the ref screened? Yeah, no. He was doing this literally 3 yards away from the ref.
upload_2014-11-26_10-8-31.png

It's actually right in front of TWO refs.

upload_2014-11-26_10-9-44.png

What do the rules say?

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

ILLEGAL CONTACT WITHIN FIVE YARDS OF LINE
Within the five-yard zone, a defender may not make original contact in the back of a receiver, nor may he use
his hands or arms to hang onto or encircle a receiver. The defender cannot extend an arm(s) to cut off or
hook a receiver causing contact that impedes and restricts the receiver as the play develops
, nor may he
maintain contact after the receiver has moved beyond a point that is even with the defender.

This is what makes it (questionably) legal.

http://static.nfl.com/static/conten...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf
Section 4 Legal and Illegal Contact With Eligible Receivers
LEGAL CONTACT WITHIN FIVE YARDS
Article 1 Legal Contact Within Five Yards. Within five yards of the line of scrimmage, a defensive player
may chuck an eligible receiver in front of him. The defender is allowed to maintain continuous and
unbroken contact within the five-yard zone, so long as the receiver has not moved beyond a point that is
even with the defender.

All comes down to the defender's form.

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-26_8-56-46.png
    upload_2014-11-26_8-56-46.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 117
  • upload_2014-11-26_8-59-51.png
    upload_2014-11-26_8-59-51.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Yeah I didnt notice that part of the play live only in the still shots so i dont know if it was quick or not just pointing out his hand seems to be up and under the guys helmet

Check out GRob. All shoulder pad. It's a bad man that can extend his arms like that on an edge rusher. Pushed him 5 yards past the pocket.

upload_2014-11-26_10-24-1.png

upload_2014-11-26_10-23-1.png

upload_2014-11-26_10-23-12.png

upload_2014-11-26_10-25-7.png

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just a sad, sad day for officiating.

People say "well just overcome them" it's not that easy. These calls (or non-calls) don't even follow the rules. Sure, every now and then you'll get a bad call because of poor judgement. Whatevs, yo it happens. Refs are human.

These calls are happening multiple times a game. They absolutely kill any positive play. And again, many times they are thrown on plays that are within the rules, but not thrown when it is a clear violation.

A simple "ooops, our bad" by the NFL when the tape gets reviewed doesn't cut it. It's just so damn frustrating.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I keep hearing people say that Cunningham was open but every still I have seen shows him covered.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I keep hearing people say that Cunningham was open but every still I have seen shows him covered.

It was just after Hill released the ball to Britt that it became obvious that Cunningham was breaking open. It's more obvious if you watch the live action, but here is Cunningham breaking open, where the defender has been caught on Cunningham's outside, and has no inside help at all. Hill could have thrown anything from a quick slant to a soft little lobby throw and it would have been an easy 6. With the S taking the deep coverage on Givens, Cunningham was the guy most likely to get open. That is, Givens bracketed high and low, Britt bracketed east to west.

upload_2014-11-26_11-58-30.png

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It was just after Hill released the ball to Britt that it became obvious that Cunningham was breaking open. It's more obvious if you watch the live action, but here is Cunningham breaking open, where the defender has been caught on Cunningham's outside, and has no inside help at all. Hill could have thrown anything from a quick slant to a soft little lobby throw and it would have been an easy 6. With the S taking the deep coverage on Givens, Cunningham was the guy most likely to get open. That is, Givens bracketed high and low, Britt bracketed east to west.

View attachment 4265

View attachment 4265

I see.

I wonder if he felt like he had to get rid of it right then and there, maybe he was feeling pressure or something.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Looks like a nice play for Benny...Nice pocket...Just terrible QB play....threw into double coverage....why?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Looks like a nice play for Benny...Nice pocket...Just terrible QB play....threw into double coverage....why?
According to Fish's presser the pass was designed to go to Benny anyway. I just don't get it. Really bad decision.