Looks like Davis at QB again for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Looks like Davis at QB again for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_35639028-ab96-5f45-9447-5c68da695af2.html

As the Rams completed their last full-scale practice of the week, all signs point to Austin Davis as the team's starting quarterback Sunday against Dallas.

As has been the case all week, Davis got the vast majority of snaps in Friday's practice and veteran Shaun Hill was limited.

Hill, who is working his way back from a thigh injury suffered in the season opener against Minnesota, will be listed as questionable on the team's injury report later this afternoon

As expected, coach Jeff Fisher played it close to the vest. "It'll be a game-time decision," he said.

Among other injured players, WR/PR Tavon Austin (knee) and FB/TE Cory Harkey (knee) did some work on the side but did not practice. If Harkey can't go, look for Alex Bayer, the undrafted rookie from Bowling Green, to make his NFL debut.

In the case of Tavon Austin, the Rams have newly reactivated Stedman Bailey now available to take up some of those snaps. Austin Pettis is the likely punt returner in Austin's place.

CB Brandon McGee (foot) also did not practice.

With two corners down _ Trumaine Johnson remains sidelined _ the Rams added CB Jemea Thomas to their practice squad. The Georgia Tech product was drafted in the sixth round by New England in May. WR/return Justin Veltung was released from the practice squad to make room for Thomas.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like Pettis as a punt returner he has a little wiggle and goes up field. Something TA should take notice of.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Dear Austin Davis,

We all know it's only your second career start, but we need you to play as good, if not better then last week. We all believe in you and will support you all the up to the day you retire. The defense has your back so don't try to do too much. This is a very big game and we are all very sick of losing. Just remember to sell that play fake and just play like we know you can.

Sincerely, ROD.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I like Pettis as a punt returner he has a little wiggle and goes up field. Something TA should take notice of.

Yep. If only for his sure hands, I like the choice.

TA will always play like TA. He has to get people off balance so he can turn on the burners.

I hate that Harkey may be out but I'm excited to see Bayer. Dude was a rockstar in PS.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

You mean Austin "fair catch" Pettis? I remember when he just got leveled that one time when he didn't call for it, haha.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Atlanta QB's combined for 24/28 350 yards last night against Tampa D. As bad as Dallas is supposed to be at D, I think theyre a step up from that.
I hope Davis is ready

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Davis looks to build off strong first start
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11900/davis-looks-to-build-off-strong-first-start

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher has been quite clear that his team once again won't make a decision on a starting quarterback until the moments before Sunday's meeting with the Dallas Cowboys.

With Shaun Hill's injured thigh still in doubt, there are plenty of signs pointing to Austin Davis getting a second consecutive start. Davis impressed in his first NFL start last week against Tampa Bay when he completed 22-of-29 for 235 yards with many of those completions coming in the face of pressure and in tight late-game situations.

Austin Davis might have learned to handle a pass rush while leading the scout team against the Rams' formidable front.
Should Davis get the call against the Cowboys, there are many ways for him to be even better. And he'll likely have to be given that this week's opponent will almost certainly be better than the one the Rams saw last week.

"We left some points on the field," Davis said. "We’re not going to be able to do that this week. Dallas has a great offense. They’re going to score points and we’re going to have to match that.”

That Davis is even able to talk about making improvements from one week to the next is a testament to his fortitude. Last year at this time, he was looking for a job on an NFL roster. The Rams had released him after a rough training camp and preseason, in part because of his penchant for taking off and running too early rather than hanging in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield waiting for something to materialize.

When Davis re-signed with the Rams after Sam Bradford's Week 7 injury in Carolina, they set about getting that part of his game squared away. Davis' progress wasn't as apparent on the practice field in this camp as it was during the preseason games but the difference was still noticeable.

“He’s always been real athletic," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. "That’s one of the first things we really liked about him. I think him working with [quarterbacks coach Frank] Cignetti on some of the pocket movement stuff certainly helps. But really the only way to do it is to get out there and play.

"Certainly by going against our defense in practice when he was running the scout team stuff, you get a lot of work on that because obviously they are very good at rushing the passer. It’s something he’s worked on. The hardest part of doing that is not the movement part, he’s got those skills, it’s keeping your eyes up and kind of seeing where your receivers are going. ”

In that regard, what Davis did last week against Tampa Bay was even more of a surprise. Time and again he hung in the pocket with pressure bearing down on him and delivered an accurate throw, none more so than what amounted to the game winner to receiver Austin Pettis in the fourth quarter.

And though the Rams didn't ask Davis to do much until those closing moments, they also didn't scale back the offense for him at all. If it looked simple, it's because that's mostly what the offense is. In addition to his ability to maneuver in the pocket and make throws against pressure, Davis also has shown a willingness to take some shots down the field.

Through two games, Davis is 9-of-12 on throws 15 yards or more down the field. That's the highest completion percentage on such throws among qualified quarterbacks.

“There were a lot of things for him to improve, still are," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. "Again, he’s got to put another good game together this week. He’s not going to be satisfied, we’re not going to be satisfied with just one good game. That was something again when he came back he had a plan. He came back in great shape. He really worked hard this offseason, spent some time doing some stuff on his own. He came back ready to play and ready to compete.”

Fisher has repeatedly made it clear that there is no quarterback controversy to be found in St. Louis. But if indeed Davis gets a second consecutive start, an improvement over last week could make it one.

209RamsFan

In all honesty guys...I'm not sweating Davis.....it's the Freaking Offensive line....if they give him time We Will Win.

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah we need the O line to step up on both protecting Davis and opening up some running lanes so we keep the Cowboys defense honest! I am hoping we see a step forward from them and another step forward from AD as well!