Looking forward to the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PeteMD

UDFA
First, I hate to see Sam Bradford injured again - especially in such an unimportant preseason game. It will be probably difficult to win more than maybe 7 games without him and to be competitive in the NFC West. Beyond any doubt, it is extremely discouraging.

But there various things that I'm looking forward to:

1. Can we play effectively on the ground? Will Z. Stacy emerge and become a 1000+ yards running back?
2. Can our o-line stay healthy and can G. Robinson be as dominant as he was in college?
3. Which of the WRs will have the best season (sure, that depends on how S. Hill will play)
4. For me the most important aspect is our defense. How much did Coach Williams changed this defensive group in comparison to last year? How hard will it be for other teams (particularly SF and Seahawks) to score agains us? Will R. Quinn have maybe even a better season than last year? What about our young defensive backs (L. Joyner looked absolutely fantastic so far)?

One more IMO important factor.. even if the Rams decide not to resign Bradford or reconstruct his contract.. we do have enough talent on this roster and it will be a lot easier for the new quarterback to have some success.

Thoughts?

Pete

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
First, I hate to see Sam Bradford injured again - especially in such an unimportant preseason game. It will be probably difficult to win more than maybe 7 games without him and to be competitive in the NFC West. Beyond any doubt, it is extremely discouraging.

1. Can we play effectively on the ground? Will Z. Stacy emerge and become a 1000+ yards running back?
2. Can our o-line stay healthy and can G. Robinson be as dominant as he was in college?
3. Which of the WRs will have the best season (sure, that depends on how S. Hill will play)
4. For me the most important aspect is our defense. How much did Coach Williams changed this defensive group in comparison to last year? How hard will it be for other teams (particularly SF and Seahawks) to score agains us? Will R. Quinn have maybe even a better season than last year? What about our young defensive backs (L. Joyner looked absolutely fantastic so far)?

One more IMO important factor.. even if the Rams decide not to resign Bradford or reconstruct his contract.. we do have enough talent on this roster and it will be a lot easier for the new quarterback to have some success.

Thoughts?

Pete
Can't really add to that. I am looking forward to the receivers having a better grasp of the offense. This youth movement has always put the offense one step behind the curve, but that trend is coming to an end now. This is the year the window opens.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Thoughts?

Pete

In regards to the running game. We have to expect to be better. With Stacy getting a full year of work, and upgrades to the line, the only thing that can hold us back from a good running game is a poor game plan. If we fail on offense this year it's gotta be on Schotty's head.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris

Thoughts?

Pete
Agree with most of your post. I think Benny will get more carries than many think. So it could be hard for Stacy to get a 1000+. If the OL stays healthy I think the Rams can still compete for a playoff slot, if we have multiple OL injuries then i agree 7 games is likely the max they can win.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So if our offense fails to produce this year, does Sams injury give Schotty another chance?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I like where your head's at, @PeteMD . I mean, the Rams might not have the pretty wins like Indy or Denver. But these Rams and physical and talented. And if they can stay healthy at the OL, they will pound a lot of teams into submission on both sides of the ball. Teams will know on Monday morning that they played the Rams on Sunday.

RamzFanz

Damnit
1. Can we play effectively on the ground? Will Z. Stacy emerge and become a 1000+ yards running back? Yes, he almost did last season with, what? 11 games starting? Add in Robinson and I see the entire RB crew going over 2,000 as a real possibility. Bam Bam is healthy and showing real promise. Tre Mason has huge upside. Watts showed a lot of promise too.
Can our o-line stay healthy and can G. Robinson be as dominant as he was in college? He's a bulldozer and even if he can't pass protect well enough season one, he will change games on running downs. His goal line contributions alone will change games. Can the O line stay healthy? I don't know.
Which of the WRs will have the best season (sure, that depends on how S. Hill will play) Quick. The WRs will excel this season even with SH. He's already proven he can and will lay it on them. If teams find ways to cover Quick and Britt, TA, Bailey, Cook, and Kendricks will destroy them!
For me the most important aspect is our defense. How much did Coach Williams changed this defensive group in comparison to last year? How hard will it be for other teams (particularly SF and Seahawks) to score agains us? Will R. Quinn have maybe even a better season than last year? What about our young defensive backs (L. Joyner looked absolutely fantastic so far)? SF's O line looks to be in complete meltdown. The Rams' pass rush is going to slaughter them. The Seahawks barely beat KC with Quick not playing well, no Britt, TA being smothered by coverage, no Robinson, no Donald, no Tre Mason... I aint scared of no Hawks!

Greg Wilson may be the real secret weapon to the Rams success this season. If the secondary holds up and they don't play soft, he could devastate teams.

PeteMD

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if our offense fails to produce this year, does Sams injury give Schotty another chance?

That depends on different things. First, Schottenheimer is known for a strong running game. If the offense can not produce on the ground, in that case it could be difficult to argue for Schottenheimer. Needless to say - without an productive passing game other teams will defend more against the running game and therefore it will become much harder to get those yards.
Second, how will Schottenheimer adjust to S. Hills strengths and weaknesses? He has to give him the best chance to succeed.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
1. Can we play effectively on the ground? Will Z. Stacy emerge and become a 1000+ yards running back? Yes, he almost did last season with, what? 11 games starting? Add in Robinson and I see the entire RB crew going over 2,000 as a real possibility. Bam Bam is healthy and showing real promise. Tre Mason has huge upside. Watts showed a lot of promise too.
Can our o-line stay healthy and can G. Robinson be as dominant as he was in college? He's a bulldozer and even if he can't pass protect well enough season one, he will change games on running downs. His goal line contributions alone will change games. Can the O line stay healthy? I don't know.
Which of the WRs will have the best season (sure, that depends on how S. Hill will play) Quick. The WRs will excel this season even with SH. He's already proven he can and will lay it on them. If teams find ways to cover Quick and Britt, TA, Bailey, Cook, and Kendricks will destroy them!
For me the most important aspect is our defense. How much did Coach Williams changed this defensive group in comparison to last year? How hard will it be for other teams (particularly SF and Seahawks) to score agains us? Will R. Quinn have maybe even a better season than last year? What about our young defensive backs (L. Joyner looked absolutely fantastic so far)? SF's O line looks to be in complete meltdown. The Rams' pass rush is going to slaughter them. The Seahawks barely beat KC with Quick not playing well, no Britt, TA being smothered by coverage, no Robinson, no Donald, no Tre Mason... I aint scared of no Hawks!

Greg Wilson may be the real secret weapon to the Rams success this season. If the secondary holds up and they don't play soft, he could devastate teams.

Is Robinson even going to be starting? He practiced with the second unit all week last week with Saffold at LG and Joseph at RG, and didn't start Saturday's game either.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Is Robinson even going to be starting? He practiced with the second unit all week last week with Saffold at LG and Joseph at RG, and didn't start Saturday's game either.

I doubt it at this point, but when we need him most on running plays and short yardage.

V3

Hall of Fame
I was going to ask the exact same thing. If we draft a new QB high, it would be the perfect time to move on from Schotty. Are people going to give him a pass for this year? If not, how are people going to judge whether he did well enough? I know one thing, if we go with a rookie QB, we can't give Schotty a year to prove it and then change OC's if he fails to impress again.

V3

Hall of Fame
I doubt it at this point, but when we need him most on running plays and short yardage.

The 2nd overall pick can't even start? That has me worried. I don't buy the coach speak about how Fisher just wanted to get Saffold more reps or whatever his excuse was.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The 2nd overall pick can't even start? That has me worried. I don't buy the coach speak about how Fisher just wanted to get Saffold more reps or whatever his excuse was.

Yeah that didn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't you want your rookie to get more reps too especially if he's going to be starting in two weeks when the games count? You could've gotten both players more reps by playing Joseph with the twos like we thought the depth chart would be.

RamzFanz

Damnit

He needs time to learn pass protection. It's not like every top ten drafted position steps into an every down starter position.

You're undervaluing his contribution potential as a running down guard IMHO. With a run first team, that's a LOT of plays and short yardage first downs and touchdowns are hugely important.

PeteMD

UDFA
He needs time to learn pass protection. It's not like every top ten drafted position steps into an every down starter position.

You're undervaluing his contribution potential as a running down guard IMHO. With a run first team, that's a LOT of plays and short yardage first downs and touchdowns are hugely important.
Good point.
Didn't Saffold play last year successfully at RG? I would like to see him back at the RG position and Robinson at LG.

V3

Hall of Fame

If it's going to take him a year or two to get it, then he was drafted too high, IMO. The 2nd overall pick should be able to start day one and not look lost. I'm not sure I'd say he's looked lost but you can tell he has a long way to go on pass blocking- enough of a learning curve that it has me concerned. I'm not sure I'd say I've been all that impressed with his run blocking, either, but I'm not worried about that. This regime seems to have a philosophy where they don't care how long it takes their top picks to develop. I don't believe in that at all because by the time the players finally start producing, they're up for a new contract. If you want to win the SB, you have to have rookies and 2nd year players come in a perform at a high level while they're still cheap. Having productive, cheap players allows the team to use their limited cap funds on productive veterans that don't come cheap. If you aren't getting production from the first contract players, you aren't going to get over the hump. I'm probably not explaining it well but I'm in a rush.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If it's going to take him a year or two to get it, then he was drafted too high, IMO. The 2nd overall pick should be able to start day one and not look lost. I'm not sure I'd say he's looked lost but you can tell he has a long way to go on pass blocking- enough of a learning curve that it has me concerned. I'm not sure I'd say I've been all that impressed with his run blocking, either, but I'm not worried about that. This regime seems to have a philosophy where they don't care how long it takes their top picks to develop. I don't believe in that at all because by the time the players finally start producing, they're up for a new contract. If you want to win the SB, you have to have rookies and 2nd year players come in a perform at a high level while they're still cheap. Having productive, cheap players allows the team to use their limited cap funds on productive veterans that don't come cheap. If you aren't getting production from the first contract players, you aren't going to get over the hump. I'm probably not explaining it well but I'm in a rush.

I hear ya. I just don't see how a run first team wouldn't want the best running play guard in the draft.

When the rams are consistently getting first downs on 3rd and 3, and he's releasing the RBs and TA for massive plays, and we are getting 3rd and short TDs instead of FGs, you'll feel better about it. The dude not only makes holes, he then hits the second level and takes out linebackers. It's a thing of beauty.

I'm not assuming we are talking about about a year or two to get it myself. I sure hope not. I put my faith in the Rams coaching to set him straight by mid-season. They probably had a very good idea if he was coachable and if they could coach him before they spent their top draft choice on him.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm looking forward to seeing what Hill can do. If anything this season will set us up for a true run next year. I truly believe (like this year) the Rams aren't going to view next season as a developmental time for a new QB. I think they go into next as WIN NOW. That means this year either Hill shows he can be the short term answer (for this year and next) while a rookie is learning or whether the Rams need to invest in both a rookie and another vet in the offseason.

PeteMD

UDFA
In my opinion, Coach Fisher/Schottenheimer will change their offensive philosophy because of Bradfords injury. They wanted to throw more deep passes - not saying that S. Hill is not capable doing it - but from what I saw in preseason, he has a tendency to over-throw receivers.
I assume that Joseph at RG is the better pass-blocker and thats why Robinson wasnt in the starting o-line. Now, they could put Robinson at LG and Saffold at RG in order to create some running lanes.