Looking for the next A.J. Bouye? Rams new CB Kayvon Webster could be just that

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How good do you think Kayvon Webster can be?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Looking for the next A.J. Bouye? Rams new CB Kayvon Webster could be just that
227364_b8622adddfad42ed81a0a109e7c82833~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...Rams-new-CB-Kayvon-Webster-could-be-just-that

The Rams and Kayvon Webster have agreed to terms on a contract that will bring Webster to L.A. to be a starter for the first time in his career. Is Webster more than just an underrated option? That could actually be the case.

Webster is a 26-year old who has already won a Super Bowl playing for the Broncos. Now, he is going to a team that hasn't had the success he had in Denver, but quite possibly a better fit. The Rams are on the rise as some would say but one of the main reasons Webster chose to come to the city of angels was because of the fact his former defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is now with the Rams.

The 2013 former third-round draft pick from South Florida started off his rookie season with only two starts (and the only two starts he would end up having in his career up until now) and ten pass breakups. He performed very well and looked every bit the part of a rising star. So why didn't he continue receiving that kind of playing time you ask? Look at the Broncos roster for his rookie season. Chris Harris Jr. and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie started but behind them was Champ Bailey who at that point was a shell of his former self, Quentin Jammer who fell off after his years in San Diego and Tony Carter who was Webster's direct competition.

Now, fast forward to the 2016 season and notice that the Broncos have since signed Aqib Talib in free agency who makes up one half of the most elite CB duo in the league with Harris. On top of that the Broncos have spent a first-round draft pick on Bradley Roby who has manned the nickel cornerback position very well. That leaves practically no room for the special teams captain Webster. Yes, that's right, special teams captain. Webster was considered as one of the fan favorites in Denver and if you don't believe me go check out his twitter page that was raided by Denver fans begging him to stay or even telling him to leave and be a starter and find more playing time somewhere else. It is widely believed around the team and some of the league (even though only the Dolphins and Eagles were the other teams interested) that Webster can be an effective starter in the NFL.

Doesn't his whole story sound familiar? Or were you not paying attention to a young CB on the Texans by the name of A.J. Bouye? Well, before free agency Bouye still wasn't a household name even being a top three rated CB per Pro Football Focus' grading metric and having 16 pass breakups. Now? He pretty much is after inking what was a monster contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars to pair him with rookie rising star Jalen Ramsey. At one point though he was behind a load of cornerbacks. Bouye, just like Webster, had a season where he was able to show off some of his skill after batting down 10 passes and adding three interceptions to his total in 2014. The next season however, Bouye was kicked out of any sort of spotlight for a first round CB by the name of Kevin Johnson. Just like how Webster lost his playing time for good.
227364_6f8ec46ab1d0405797c01c68547e280a~mv2.webp

25-year old CB A.J. Bouye inked a five-year, $67.5 million deal this off-season.

Unlike Webster's situation, Bouye received playing time after the man ahead of him Johnson broke his foot in mid-October. Bouye's number was called and he rose to the occasion. How good was Bouye? He was named multiple times in the Pro Football Focus feature piece "The NFL's Best Cornerbacks Versus Each Route Type In 2016". Bouye was listed as the best CB defending the slant route and second best at defending in and out routes. Clearly all it took for Bouye was real playing time to show off what he could do. Now, Webster who never had to relieve anyone due to an injury like the way Bouye did, can finally get his chance.

The Rams employ a 3-4 defense which is not only what Webster is accustomed to operating in but he was in the same exact defense in Denver with Wade Phillips of course. Webster is bound to know the playbook and the scheme like the back of his hand even though he never really got to play a ton in it. While the future of Rams franchised CB Trumaine Johnson is fair to question. . .it's likely if he doesn't end up being traded Johnson and Webster will share in a successful season. This time Webster has the playing time and holds all of the cards, he's flashed some serious potential in the past, but now it is time to show everyone what he can do. The good news for the Rams is that, Bouye had this great season in his contract year and ended up leaving the team that took forever to give him chance. Webster just left the team that never gave him his chance as a starter to come to a team that will give him his chance.

When it's all said and done this is going to be the steal of free agency, you heard it here first. Kayvon Webster is going to be the next A.J. Bouye, only difference is that the Rams aren't going to lose him.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Rated: "Very Good" ... I'm hyped to all hell by him! I won't give him a higher grade until we see him in action though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Great article jake. Keep em coming.

I would prefer the Rams to keep Tru around this year. Draft their next cb and being him along slowly behind Tru. Want the d to have a fighting chance at stopping teams on 3rd down.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol ofcourse!

It's all edited and ready for view. All he did was CTRL+V from his word doc :p

Ahahaha, very nice Jake :)
Thank you my man! Appreciate the support as always. What a great day!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

Great article jake. Keep em coming.

I would prefer the Rams to keep Tru around this year. Draft their next cb and being him along slowly behind Tru. Want the d to have a fighting chance at stopping teams on 3rd down.

I really like the idea of keeping Tru and having Webster and him. Omg I am psyched! Thank you! You know they will haha

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
GROY! They extended an offer sheet 2 years to him. Now let's hope the Bills forget he did anything :D

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Yeah, very good write-up.......like you knew it was coming. And I agree, he's here to start. Guy's has very quick feet, above-average coverage skills, great tackler, and he's fast 4.41 forty at his combine. This is a great opportunity for him to show what he can do as a CB, as he's already himself to be a demon on ST. Good get by the Rams.

Groy is also another player who's on the rise and another starter as well.

Thanks Jake, enjoy reading your stuff!!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Yeah, very good write-up.......like you knew it was coming. And I agree, he's here to start. Guy's has very quick feet, above-average coverage skills, great tackler, and he's fast 4.41 forty at his combine. This is a great opportunity for him to show what he can do as a CB, as he's already himself to be a demon on ST. Good get by the Rams.

Groy is also another player who's on the rise and another starter as well.

Thanks Jake, enjoy reading your stuff!!!
Thank you! I appreciate the fact you read my stuff and like it! I just love Webster man I can't stress it enough. Same situation as Bouye but no one guy injured like Bouye had with Johnson. Webster is going to be a stud.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks real good too me. We sure know that EJ Gaines is a poor starter on the outside. Kayvon Webster should be strong competition for the starting outside CB post opposite Trumaine with whichever outside corner Snead lands on the second day of the draft. Might even see a second corner drafted in this draft too.

Lets just say for an initial CB cadre 2017 set up would have Johnson & Webster starting with Gaines & Countess fighting it out for the Nickle post. With second yr outside corners Troy Hill & M. Jordan, the two WWC's in Kevin Peterson & Short along with the outside corners Snead lands in the 2017 draft.

Both corners Lamarcus Joyner & EJ Gaines might very well make much better free/deep safeties than outside Ram corners.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Looks real good too me. We sure know that EJ Gaines is a poor starter on the outside. Kayvon Webster should be strong competition for the starting outside CB post opposite Trumaine with whichever outside corner Snead lands on the second day of the draft. Might even see a second corner drafted in this draft too.

Lets just say for an initial CB cadre 2017 set up would have Johnson & Webster starting with Gaines & Countess fighting it out for the Nickle post. With second yr outside corners Troy Hill & M. Jordan, the two WWC's in Kevin Peterson & Short along with the outside corners Snead lands in the 2017 draft.

Both corners Lamarcus Joyner & EJ Gaines might very well make much better free/deep safeties than outside Ram corners.
I like Jordan to actually upset Gaines and knock him off the roster in 2017.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Jordan to actually upset Gaines and knock him off the roster in 2017.

Would not surprise me when new DC Wade Phillips see's EJ Gaines first time up-close & in action he will think FREE SAFETY Not corner. E.J. Gaines simply can not plant that damaged foot to turn & flip his hips without losing several critical steps instantly on his receiver. The best you can hope for is Gaines could be a Nickle but as I said above he could be a dandy FS.

Jordan lacks speed to be a NFL starter but has some toughness & fight in his game. So does Troy Hll. But this is an outstanding CB draft & still hold hope to either land a starting Corner or starting OSLB'er with that top 2nd day selection all depends on what else we do in free agency.

Last edited:

lockdnram21

Legend

I don't think we draft a cb in 2nd or 3rd rd... probably wr/te and edge rusher

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So, we should go ahead and extend him after 4 games before we'll need to break the bank.
Both corners Lamarcus Joyner & EJ Gaines might very well make much better free/deep safeties released players than outside Ram corners.
Reads much better from my screen this way Boni!!!!:sneaky:;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So, we should go ahead and extend him after 4 games before we'll need to break the bank.
Reads much better from my screen this way Boni!!!!:sneaky:;)
To release these two last season starters lets say today you might save around 2.2 million in cap funds. Do the Rams really want to loose another two starting 2016 DB's to go along with TJ McDonald?

If they need funds may best to release LG Rodger Saffold & get over 4 million. Then let Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal or Cody Wichmann fight it our for LG post.