Look, there’s gonna be a ton of offseason moves necessary...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, even on this SB runner up roster.

Contracts running out
Possible retirements
Outright “holes” in the roster needing upgrade
Veterans abilities fading

And the cap quickly becomes a limiting factor

How many offseason moves? Good question. But I think that it’s a substantial number, no doubt.

Off the top of my head...

C
Backup QB
Backup RB
LOG (possibly)
LOT (possibly)
RG (possibly)
DL (Suh probably gone)
Edge (unless Fowler extended)
Edge (gotta upgrade from Ebu. C’mon)
ILB (Assuming Barron is gone)
SS (assuming Joyner is gone)

That’s a pretty daunting list, huh? A minimum of 11 players and 9 of them are starters! There are numerous depth players that will be coming and going, as well. And I didn’t even bother to include TE or our CB tandem, each with only a year left on their CB contracts.

My point? I guess that it’s a good thing that S&M are adept at identifying talent and bringing it in here.

And that our various coaches excel at rapid development of rookies, too.

‘Cause this offseason is gonna demand the very most from Demoff’s contract/ cap management skills, Snead’s eye for talent that “fits”, and McVay’s skills at bringing all newbies onboard and developing them rapidly while putting them in best possible situations for each one. All 3 FO guys have done well for the past 2 years, so there is reason for hope.

No path can be overlooked in their efforts. Trades, FA, and the draft must be utilized to the max. ‘Cause I truly believe that every single position I listed above must be addressed in one way or another if we want a return to the SB and with a happier ending.

Here’s to an offseason with zero margin for error. Piece of cake, right? Lol.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Half of those guys will be back. I'm 50/50 on whittworth. But players like Joyner and Barron are probably gone as those positions need some serious upgrade. I only really see three new player on defense this season ... And maybe one or two on offense

dang

Legend
Whit and Saffold have to look out for themselves in making their decisions but I got to believe they are talking. At this point in their careers playing on a winning team is a huge factor. I am hopeful Whit is willing to rework his contract a bit to help relieve his cap hit and in turn helping the Rams negotiate in bringing Saffold back.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is this true? I haven't read this in a dozen threads already :D

fearsomefour

Legend
Half of those guys will be back. I'm 50/50 on whittworth. But players like Joyner and Barron are probably gone as those positions need some serious upgrade. I only really see three new player on defense this season ... And maybe one or two on offense
Whitworth should keep playing as long as they don't call him for holding.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You’re talking starters, Jacobarch, right?

Let’s see...

Suh’s replacement
Ebu’s replacement
Barron’s replacement
Possibly Fowler’s replacement
Joyner’s replacement

That’s 5 new starters on D, right there. And Brockers and Peters are not locks, themselves.

I see a minimum of 4 new starters on D next season.

The O could have maybe 3 new starters.

Whit’s replacement.
Saffold’s replacement.
Sully’s replacement.

‘Course, it’s also possible that all 3 will still be here next season. That is my hope.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think TE is a need as well. Not to the extent of some other positions, but a need. With the scheme the Pats rolled out our TEs should have been able to hurt them. Very disappointing, from my armchair at least. Certainly don't rule it out IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think TE is a need as well. Not to the extent of some other positions, but a need. With the scheme the Pats rolled out our TEs should have been able to hurt them. Very disappointing, from my armchair at least. Certainly don't rule it out IMO.

McVay could have adjusted.

And remember the TE position was a huge tell for the Patriots defense regarding whether the play was a run or a pass.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay could have adjusted.

And remember the TE position was a huge tell for the Patriots defense regarding whether the play was a run or a pass.

That's really a different topic though Les. The tells and whatnot.

When the Pats loaded up to shut down our 1-2 receiving options, that's when a TE can really make a difference. Our TEs weren't ready to do that. Now maybe McVay's still high on Everett, who knows. But IMO the position is on that need list, where if we can upgrade it would potentially deepen our passing attack options.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's really a different topic though Les. The tells and whatnot.

When the Pats loaded up to shut down our 1-2 receiving options, that's when a TE can really make a difference. Our TEs weren't ready to do that. Now maybe McVay's still high on Everett, who knows. But IMO the position is on that need list, where if we can upgrade it would potentially deepen our passing attack options.

The two didn't get very many targets. IMO this style of O is somewhat similar to Martz. It's the RB out of the backfield and the WR's motioning and running routes to create open spaces and mismatches.

I think you could put the 3 best TE's of all time on this roster and none of them would put up big numbers.