LOOK: Tavon Austin is working with the best WR in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Tavon Austin ever enter the same status as Brown?

• Total voters

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
well, he was a rookie.
Stop....your hands are your hands..

then the offense started to get it's act together.
Just stop already....please show me something...that says, we're getting it together...In fact we only threw for over 200 yards twice, once for 203 yards, the rest of the season.

then sam got injured. then we had 3 years of crap throwing the ball.
Truth....at last.

Look, I'm not saying Tavon isn't valuable, he is...He's been an intricate & unique tool for our offense. Not the receiver he was made out to be...But if you looked at his film at WV, it was full of bubble screens, and swing passes....Not even Sted Bailey type stuff...Out of the same offense. Can we line him up, and DARE the opponent to take him away and still throw a pass his way...not happening...And I don't think it necessarily lies in his inability to run routes...Rather I think it's from a general lack of understanding of the playbook, and the sight adjustments/audibles...Plus he has average hands. And I found out he had average hands when he was a rookie...when even if open, when Sam gunned it in there, Tavon dropped it...countless times...
Can you get better at all of these? Yes....Can a QB that can really play, bring something out of Tavon? Sure...But it lies in his understanding of the routes that Groh/Boras want him to run, in various situations...Expecting him to run routes like Brown, in year 4?....IDK????...rather run them like Tavon, know what you're supposed to do, without thinking, and catch the ball...no matter what.....

My point, learn the offense, preferably from someone that knows what Groh wants & expects....

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Yea. Julio Jones is the best WR in the NFL. AB is definitely #2 though.

tumblr_inline_nexzqaVoTk1s1n0vq.gif

fair enough:cheers:

jap

Legend
Tavon already has the natural electric quickness and speed; he really needs the mental game now: how to sell the wrong route to CBs or safeties; how to sell the lie that he is the intended target, drawing coverage to himself and freeing up a teammate; how to handle running down the sidelines without allowing the CB to use the sideline against him as an 'extra defender'; etc.

Tavon's ongoing maturation as a NFL receiver combined with Jerad's golden arm and accuracy is a very frightening prospect for DC's, especially with Todd commanding special attention in the box. I wonder if our Little Big Man is thinking of living up to The Fisher King's boast about him [Tavon] snaring twice the number of balls this season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Tavon is a straight up baller !! He has grown so much over the years.The dude is totally cool. Really truly a PRO !!
He went into the OC to help coach, he has stayed clean & out of trouble . He was a guy that showed his true love for Stedman.
I went to the Charger game when busted one that got called back. He opens up holes for Gurley as well. This article just shows another example of his work ethic to get better.
He has all of training camp with Groh & Boras. They are going to be using him in different sets than Alshon Jefferies does.Kenny Britt needs to take some lessens.I liked how Groh was getting on Britt & telling Tavon he has no left hand. In basketball he would force him to go left. It is the little fundamentals that can add up.
I was never in favor of the trade up. Really actually pissed as the same with Jamarcus Joyner.Both players are undersized in a real mans league.These 2 players are really going to step up this season. Fisher is calling out for a lot more plays toward Tavon.Austin also is & has improved his knowledge on the markers. Those 3rd down plays are huge. Groh is going to help keep the sticks moving down the field.
The Rams 3rd down % was one of the worst in NFL history.

Every sentence you write seems to be random thoughts, but I like it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Okay....I'll be watching and waiting....

See, I saw Tavon....I remember 2013 or was it 2012?....He was Sam B's MAIN TARGET....some said the reasons for his struggles were...what...rookie? small hands? I forget...but he was the main target, and after 6-8 games of this, schotty & fish decided to return to a more basic offense...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.....when we had our best QB in years healthy, and targeting Tavon, what the hell happened?!?

What happened is they decided to take a rookie and use him in a spread offense against everything he was talented at. Square peg in a round hole. TA is a YAC and rotational RB guy, not a deep or #1 guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Every sentence you write seems to be random thoughts, but I like it.
I guess that is my vision.
-- I listened to Greg Williams closing interview yesterday. He seems to do the same type thing.He really likes his 3rd year players.
-- Crazy thing about The Rams defense is they are not as young as fans may think .
1. JL55 & C. Long were the veterans of a leadership group.They were the old guys that have left.Which makes you think they got younger.
2.Williams loves to mentor his players.His special guys are in my random opinion. 1. Barron, 2.Joyner 3.Mo Alexnader . My reasoning is he was apart of drafting them.(Barron traded), Joyner traded up,Mo traded up ?Drafted ahead of CJ Gaines.(Can't say enough about Rams draft style)
3.--- The Rams (GW) have only drafted 2 defensive players Bryce Hager & Josh Forrest in the last 2 drafts.
4. Ogletree & Tru are core veterans making the reads & changing plays.My random guess is why The Rams tagged Johnson instead Jenkins.Quinn has DB speed,-tree is so much faster than JL55.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What happened is they decided to take a rookie and use him in a spread offense against everything he was talented at. Square peg in a round hole. TA is a YAC and rotational RB guy, not a deep or #1 guy.
That will be the beauty of having Pharoh Copper.Same size but a little different skill set.They bought do the same things though.---Point being if they go in motion it doesn't give away the play.The more the defense has to think,the more of the element of surprise.
Todd Gurley & Tavon had some real nice individual TD's last year.Just give them the ball with a little bit of space & they can take it to the house.
---Groh is working on timing drills.Just the little things of footing,hands & body all coming together. Body placement is huge.Tavon is a student of the game.My example is his best friend Stedman who is moving on to coach at WVU.They are 2 of the same.Always learning ,teaching,mentoring.Hard work will payoff.Even after you get shot in the head.