Long article on Goodell (had enough of him in Rams Talk)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]308991440434896896[/tweet]

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Even DeMaurice Smith is in awe of the commissioner's business acumen. "When it comes to that stuff, he's brilliant," Smith says. "They monetize everything. The 18-game season is a perfect example. It's a revenue-generation idea that benefits the owners on the front end because it creates more revenue. And then it benefits owners on the back end because a longer season means more injuries and fewer of our players would get into a state of vesting where owners would have to pay for their pensions. It is diabolically brilliant. It also happens to be completely inconsistent with health and safety."
And nefarious. We don't need more games. The NFL season is already a game of attrition. We don't need it to be the Last Team Standing League.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
Even DeMaurice Smith is in awe of the commissioner's business acumen. "When it comes to that stuff, he's brilliant," Smith says. "They monetize everything. The 18-game season is a perfect example. It's a revenue-generation idea that benefits the owners on the front end because it creates more revenue. And then it benefits owners on the back end because a longer season means more injuries and fewer of our players would get into a state of vesting where owners would have to pay for their pensions. It is diabolically brilliant. It also happens to be completely inconsistent with health and safety."
And nefarious. We don't need more games. The NFL season is already a game of attrition. We don't need it to be the Last Team Standing League.

Yeah - let's dilute it down so only the last quarter of the season means something. I've also said that about the injury thing with an 18 game season. At minimum you would be taking a season right off the life expectancy of most players.

I liked Goodell at first. I just think he acts too autonomously at times and that is almost always going to bite you when so many rely on your reason to keep things right. He needs a crack back that stings and maybe he'll get that clue.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's more than a little disturbing that Maurice would characterize Goodell as Brilliant...... I'd call it diabolically psychopathic. But today's culture seems to idolize the diabolical.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
It's more than a little disturbing that Maurice would characterize Goodell as Brilliant...... I'd call it diabolically psychopathic. But today's culture seems to idolize the diabolical.
Well, one can admire the brilliance of an opponent's mind, while at the same time railing at his lack of ethics.

I'd prefer Goodell used his powers for good, but he's owned by the Dark Side.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:
Well, one can admire the brilliance of an opponent's mind, while at the same time railing at his lack of ethics.

Actually, in some recent work done by academics on psychopaths, they found that they weren't the most brilliant in society. I guess it's more about how the good side just can't imagine that anyone would be so diabolical that gives the dark siders the edge.

The worst part about the findings, that I recall, was the realization that a regular person just can't deal with a psychopath, wwith the academics' recommending that good people simply run the other direction when encountering that kind of person.

Hey, i didn't know Roger's dad was a US Senator of NY, appointed by Nelson Rockefeller, and preceded by Robert Kennedy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Goodell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Goodell</a>
"Charles Ellsworth Goodell (March 16, 1926 – January 21, 1987) was a U.S. Representative and a Senator from New York, notable for coming into both offices under special circumstances following the deaths of his predecessors."

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:

Actually, in some recent work done by academics on psychopaths, they found that they weren't the most brilliant in society. I guess it's more about how the good side just can't imagine that anyone would be so diabolical that gives the dark siders the edge.

The worst part about the findings, that I recall, was the realization that a regular person just can't deal with a psychopath, wwith the academics' recommending that good people simply run the other direction when encountering that kind of person.

Hey, i didn't know Roger's dad was a US Senator of NY, appointed by Nelson Rockefeller, and preceded by Robert Kennedy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Goodell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Goodell</a>
"Charles Ellsworth Goodell (March 16, 1926 – January 21, 1987) was a U.S. Representative and a Senator from New York, notable for coming into both offices under special circumstances following the deaths of his predecessors."
The rub there is identifying the psychopath before :shit: . What's the difference between the psychopath and a person (Goodell) who's made a deal with the devil? I'm thinking it's awareness; knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Then you get into the end justifying the means; the slippery slope, but it's a little early in the morning for that.